No xmas card for the useless garage! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 23-10-09 Thread Starter
County: Essex

Member car:

147 2.0 Lusso

No xmas card for the useless garage!

Hi everyone, I've recently lost my 156 sportwagon to a cambelt failure thanks to a poor change by the previous owner so I immediatley booked my 147 2.0 lusso in to a national garage to get it changed as I didn't know if or when it was last changed.

At this point my problems started.....brace yourselves you're about to enter my world!

I booked it in with the nationwide auto center on 06/10/09 and was quoted £248, the car was dropped of in the morning and would approx take 3 hrs, I asked them to look at a misfire/flat spot it also had at 2200rpm, "not a problem" was the answer. come the afternoon i rang them to ask if it was ready but apparently a bolt on the cam cover had sheared of causing problems but would be ready tomorrow. I was advised that there was some oil in one of the spark plug holes and paid for some platinum tipped plugs to sort it. The next day still nothing so I called again to be told it had broken down on the road test (it had never done this before). they kept it all day trying to diagnose what happened. I rang again the following day to be told that they had bent 3 valves on the engine!, a complaint to the manager revealed that the wrong kit had been used and subsequently knackered the cylinder head. They ordered me another and replaced the valves obviously. Cue a courtesy car (VW passat) which is ok but not my alfa!.
I took the family on holiday on 12/10/09 and was guaranteed it would be ready when I got back. guess wasn't. I called them yet again as their phones obviously don't make outgoing calls. I was then told that a manufacturers part has been on back order and they are equally as frustrated, I don't think so...
A further phone call from me reveald that the part was in and they were putting it back together as we speak. A little later I called back and was told that an injector seal had broken and it wouldn't be ready.
Yesterday they actually called me!!! and told me that the misfire was still there and now its idle speed is rough. They have suggested that the cat may be the cause but i think they're now guessing, they also advised that the maniford has a bad weld which could contribute to it. A guy is coming to plug it in to a diagnostic today so I'm waiting as usual.
My beloved car has now been there for 3 weeks and is worse than when it went it.
You couldn't make up this comedy of errors. I'm trying to think of my next move on this but I think I'll still have to pay for the cam belt change.
Thanks for reading my long and rambling post, my wife is sick of me moaning about it but it's nice to left off steam
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 1.9JTD Lusso

Nasty. I hope writing it down was cathartic and it all comes good for you soon.
Keep the faith....
AO Gold Member
County: Conwy
This is truly bad news for you

I hope its sorted ASAP for you

In the mean time:

Hello and welcome to AO

Enjoy and have fun

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

card , garage , useless , xmas