Hello All Alfa Fans - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 20-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

smart fortwo

Hello All Alfa Fans

Hello to all.
The reason I am on this site is not because I am an Alfa owner, but because I am seeking technical advice on any engine that runs twin plug heads. Not that I have anything against Alfas you understand. Far from it - I am a 60s child so was brought up with Italian motors being the most respected machinery. Not just Alfa but Lancia and Guzzi.. and stop here before I merely compile a list of Italian exotica that you are all already aware of. Point is, I was a kid when the Stratos was around. It would be impossible for me not to respect the Italian marques - Alfa included.
But as I said it is a technical question I have and my understanding is that this thread isn't the place for it. So I'm going to conclude my intro here and endeavor to find the appropriate thread. So,
Cheers meantime, F.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 20-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

smart fortwo

Twin plug heads

Please forgive this newbie to your site if I I'm in the wrong place with this - perhaps a moderator can relocate it - but I have a question and I'm literally itching to have it answered.
My car is a European two seater, mid engined, turbo charged with 6 sp sequential gearbox and a reputation for frail engines, the existing explanation for which I do not find plausible.
That'll be a smart then! Why I am on an Alfa owners site is this. I suspect the problem with the smart is related to failure of a plug or plug lead, leaving one or more cylinders firing on only one plug rather than the two per cylinder it should be firing on. So what I am asking here is if anyone has had this happen on a TS Alfa, and what the outcome was? I would expect the 8V models to suffer more than the engines with 4 valves per cylinder. So if anyone has experienced failure of one plug - with the affected cylinder still firing on the remaining plug, will you please please please reply to this post with as much information as you can?
Possible / probable symptoms are burned exhaust valve and / or overheated piston, possibly only affecting one cylinder. It is possible that the coil layout may make this impossible, but my suspicion is it could have happened.
If you can help me here, I promise your input will be appreciated. Many thanks for reading so far.
Thanks, F.
AO Gold Member
County: Conwy
Hello and welcome to AO

Enjoy and have fun

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

alfa , fans