33 Sportwagon in Amsterdam - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 05-09-09 Thread Starter
County: Noord Holland

Member car:

33 1.4 SW

33 Sportwagon in Amsterdam

Hello Alfisti!

Finally a word from me. Iím a dutch 33 Sportwagon owner. I have had the car since 2006, sold it in 2008 and was in the happy circumstances to buy it back this spring. In the past Iíve owned a couple of CitroŽns: an ' 69 ID19, two Visas, a BX and even a ZX break Ė which is very under estimated. When I was looking for a budget car and having owned a the CitroŽns I like (the CX and SM are a bit out of my league) I started looking for a 33 and found a white 1992 Sportwagon 14 IE with some 130K. Price was 650 euros.
The 33 is a car that sold like crazy over here when it was new. At the time I didínt have my drivers license I was always charmed by the 33. I liked the simple styling and the especially the sound. Since Iím two meters long I always thought I would not fit behind the wheel. But surprisingly enough my size doesnít matterÖ Although there is not much room left. My car was the first 33 I ever drove and the choice was very easy after the test drive.
A few years later the missus started asking for a car with power steering. No problem. I bought a 1994 1.7IE hatchback with power steering and sold the Sportwagon to a friend. But the power steering is very disappointing the direct steering is totally gone and the car had quite a few problems eg the gear box and the red colour was very ugly, no matter what kind of polish I used. The 1.7-engine is not half as much fun as the 1.4. The simpler engine likes revs much more and is much more raw.
A few months later I bought the Sportwagon back and kicked the new car out. We drove the darling-33 for a few months with the idea to keep it as some kind of neo-classic. We started looking for something new. With a second kid coming up, a 146 was considered to small; the seating position reminded me of a toilet seat. The 156 would not fit the Bugaboo and all our stuff for camping. I wanted a car with more than four cyilinders, because no other four pot can match the (sound of) the boxer. And an Alfa V6 has seems to be difficult to run on LPG Ė another demand for the new car. The 166 is a bit too much.
Iím afraid I have to tell you our new car is not an Alfa. We bought a 5 cylinderÖ

Lancia Lybra SW, which is a very nice vehicle to run long distances.
The Sportwagon is put away in a storage very near Amsterdam. So when Iím in the mood I can fetch it for a ride. Iím saving up to get is a sort of restored. Get rid of the rust which is on the front fenders, wheel arches and the doors are starting as well. One of the items Iíd like to have most right now is a new roof lining. Mine is damaged and full of stains. A new one is very hard to find over here. Iím afraid Alfa is letting the owners of the older cars down on parts supply. So if anyone has a tipÖ
In Holland you still see quite a few 33ís around; there all of the third 907 series. The earlier models seem to be extinct. The SportWagon is becoming rare. In the time I owned my car I only saw three others: two red, one green, so I guess my white car is pretty unique over here. But the dutch are very Alfa minded; I even saw an Alfasud the other day a few blocks away!

If you are getting curious, you can see some pictures over here: Alfa Romeo 33 SportWagon 1.4 i.e. (1992) | Myreview - AutoWeek.nl

Sorry for raping your lang-witch
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Montevideo

Member car:

33 1.7 IE

Welcome Max!!

Neat looking SW!! liked the rims

About the 1.7IE that you owned, im not sure if the 1.4 engine is happier, never drove one, but maybe it has to do with diff ratios and larger crown that make you car "more agile"..
AO Silver Member
County: Gloucestershire
:hello: & :welcome3: to AO Max, congrats on getting your 33 SW back :thumbsup:
AO Member
County: Conwy
Hi Max. Welcome to AO
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome :wave:

Nice 33
AO Gold Member
Hello Max welcome to AO
AO Gold Member
County: Conwy
Hello and welcome to AO

Enjoy and have fun

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

amsterdam , sportwagon