I 'still' love my car - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 03-08-09 Thread Starter
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

156 1.8 TS

I 'still' love my car

Hello to you all! My name is Alan and I live in the Manchester area.I didn't realise there was so much interest in Alfas ( I thought it was my own little secret). I always thought 'I'll get one of those one day" but I was always put off by family,friends and colleagues who said "they always break down, they all have electrical faults, it will be worthless after two years" etc etc etc. So for twenty years I drove, Ford, VW , Rover, Honda etc. In 2005 I'd had enough, I bought a 3 yr old (1 owner from new with FSH) 156 1.8 TS. I'm still driving it today.
Recently I've had to spend more money on repairs than usual and get my hands dirty replacing some parts, I've thought "is it time to let her go"..... Then my friend turns up in his new VW scirrocco and I think "that is a very nice car" until I drive it!!!!! Where is the seat/driving position that fits my body perfectly?, where is the growl when you switch on the ignition and then touch the accelerator? where is the fun when you're at speed taking corners and sliding all over the place? Not that it has that much power anyway!
It might be getting on, it might have it's little problems but I still love my Alfa...
Sorry to go on a bit but I've had a couple of glasses :0) Once again hello to you all and I hope I've not bored you! Regards, Alan.
P.S I also own a 1975 Vespa 150 super and a 1984 Vespa PK125 (must be an Italian thing)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

156 V6

Get a 3.2, You earned it!
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia
Hi Alan welcome. It sounds like you'll fit in well around here
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire
Thats exactly how I feel about my GTV. In my 8 years of driving ive owned 18 cars to the dismay of my dad who doesnt believe money on cars is well spent, and my partner who is sick of hearing about cars lol. I always wanted the GTV from when my mate bought it 5 years ago and was put off by people saying unreliable always breaking down always money pit etc etc. I had a 156 2.4JTD before and loved the car. And defying all reccomendations i snapped the GTV 3.0 off my mate a few months ago dispite everyone telling me not to.

Of the 18 cars ive had and the hundreds that my mates have owned I still believe it is the most wonderful characteristic awe inspring machine i have ever driven. Its brilliant!

I think jeremy clarkson hit the nail on the head when he was talking about the Ford GT and said 'its a car you buy with your heart and not your head, and all i know is i like this big ford, better than all the others'

Exactly how i feel about my alfa..

welcome to the forums mate

"You cant be a proper Petrolhead until youve owned an Alfa Romeo"

Last edited by dazgtv; 04-08-09 at 14:03.
AO Silver Member
County: Gloucestershire
:hello: & :welcome3: to AO Alan
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome :wave:
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 04-08-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 1.8 TS

Thanks for the warm welcome! I look forward to more Alfa updates. Nice picture Mitogirl, I named a chidhood pet dog after him!!
AO Gold Member
County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Welcome al8078,
I've had my beautiful Gtv for 8 months now and I still smile every time I look at her, let alone sit in the seat. I could happily bore anyone about how much fun it is to own it and despite its quirks and flaws, how much better it is than any other car I've ever owned or driven....
Looks like you have the bug too
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
I bought my Alfa over 7 years ago and had never owned one before. I had also been told how awful they were. But having had a total nightmare owning a V6 Mondeo (voted Car of the Year by most of the motoring press) I decided to 'risk' the Alfa. I can honestly say I have never regretted it. As one of the previous posters said, if you love your 1.8 TS you really must go and test drive a GTA. I think you will be so stunned by it that you won't rest until you own one.
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 04-08-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 1.8 TS

I really fancy a 1960's or 70's spider that I can "tinker "with or for a few million quid more, a 1930's 8C......
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Good Morning......and Welcome to the A.O. Forum, I'm sure you will enjoy it here.........
AO Gold Member
County: Conwy
Hello and welcome to AO

Enjoy and have fun

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

car , love , till