Hi all, from Melbourne, Australia. ['85 33 Wagon] - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 19-06-09 Thread Starter
County: Victoria
Hi all, from Melbourne, Australia. ['85 33 Wagon]

So as the title states, I'm from Australia..

I'm a 22 year old guy, I am studying Audio Engineering at university in 3rd year (this semester's getting to be a bit of a drag though) and I'm also an Assistant Mechanic and Auto Electrician.

I work at a panel workshop that also rebuilds transmissions, mostly automatics, and the owner is a Mercedes wrecker. We do basically any mechanical repair as well so I've learned heaps there and every day I go to work is a learning experience. Still haven't seen an Alfa come through the doors yet. Plenty of Fords, Holdens, Peugots, Mercs, some vintage cars, some classic cars..

I picked up my 33 wagon because it was just gonna be scrapped otherwise. My best friend's mum owned it, but she already had a 90 and was buying a used (dirt cheap) Ford Taurus. Her brother was working on the 33, but unfortunately he and his wife were killed in a motorcycle accident. He was an Alfa / Ducati mechanic (not to say he didn't work on other cars/bikes). So I was half-arsedly helping out with cleaning out his garage, and someone made a comment that the 33 wagon was in the way, and then we got to talking about what to do with it, basically they wanted to scrap it, and I said that I'll take it, knowing that it needed some work. So a week later I managed to drive it up onto a trailer (on 3 cylinders).

So far, I've replaced 2 welsh plugs and some globes and done a little bit of wiring on it. Still needs a fair bit of work. I want to kit it out with all new gaskets, welsh plugs and whatever else needs doing these holidays.

The engine is a 1.5L from a Sud, apparently it was built for a racing car, and is at 1.6L.

The transmission has practically no synchromeshes left, and I double declutch everywhere just to get the gears close enough to slip in with what synchro is left.

All in all, it's the most interesting and fun car I've ever owned.

Previously Owned:
1977 Datsun 180B (manual)
1976 Datsun 180B (manual)
1985 Ford Falcon (3spd Auto)
1990 Toyota Lexcen [Holden Commodore] (Auto)

Currently Own:
1979 TA46 JDM Toyota Celica (1.8, manual)
1984 Nissan S12 Gazelle (manual)
1985 Alfa Romeo Alfa33 SportWagon insane beast of craziness (manual of course :P)

All the Alfa experiences I've had have been great, even the bad ones. They're a car built with pure passion, they look great and go great as well. I'm afraid I'm becoming an Alfa nut.

1979 JDM TA46 Celica, 1984 Nissan Gazelle, 1985 Alfa Romeo 33 Sportwagon 4X4 1.6L
Sponsored Links
AO Member
166/164 Lounge Winner 09

Member car:

Hi and welcome. There's gonna be an Alfa meet on August 22 in Melbourne...you should come along. There is more info at ausalfa.com • Index page but we will put it here too.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 763
County: Cumbria
Welcome to AO.
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Good Morning.......and Welcome to the A.O. Forum. I'm sure you will enjoy it here......
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 19-06-09 Thread Starter
Awesome, thanks for the welcome! AGM155 I will sure try, I discovered about 5 hours ago that I need to take my engine out and regasket it or something, so it's grounded for a while. :-\ (the oil is basically cream, and there's margarine down my oil filler. Whoo, water in oil emulsion anyone!?

Still the most exciting car I've had hahah.
AO Member
County: Setúbal
You had the Ford Falcon, the car from Mad Max right? Great.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 19-06-09 Thread Starter
Heh, yeah, but I had the '85 XF falcon, what a heap of junk, my dad gave it to me when he bought a 2001 Mitsubishi Magna (Diamante in some other countries). he'd had the head replaced 3 times and a reco trans put in it because he killed the old one towing water. (there's been a drought on here for over a decade)

The Mad Max cars were XA and XB Falcons, the black Interceptor was an XB Falcon. I live not far from where a lot of it was filmed. The XF is a very different car. There are not many surviving XB coupes around and a lot of them get turned into Interceptor replicas. much like how the DeLorean DMC-12 gets turned into the BTTF car a lot.
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome :wave:
AO Gold Member
County: Conwy
Hello and welcome

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

australia , melbourne , wagon