An American in Scotland says Hello - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Edinburgh
An American in Scotland says Hello

As my name suggests I hail from the town in New York State where Fiat used to have a factory way back when. The factory shut down during WWI but the structure survived until my time. Sadly it has now been torn down and replaced by a shopping center.

I am, by all definitions a car enthusiast. Despite my hometowns association with Fiat I've been a Volvo fan my entire life. My family has owned two 122's and a 144 before my time and a 740 Turbo wagon, a V70 (my car now) and a V50 T5 AWD R-Design during my life. I've autocrossed my V70 (stock, no turbo, automatic) with some success (3rd place in my class)

I love Volvos but once I saw the Alfa Romeo 159 on an episode of Top Gear (which I watch religiously) I was smitten. My god was it beautiful; even better then the Brera in my opinion! Too bad as an American I would never see one, much less get to own one. In any case I was too busy studying Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and building off road race cars (Cornell Baja - Home) to be too upset anyways

Fast forward a couple of years and I am now living in Edinburgh and the proud owner of a used 2007 159 1.9 JTDM which I absolutely adore. I have a long commute (around 22,000 miles a year) and will definitely test out the carís reliability. Iíve driven it over 2000 miles so far and my only complaints are with the gearbox which is kinda notchy and when cold doesnít seem to want me to shift between 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. Overall Iím in love with my 159 and Alfa Romeoís in general. Iím probably one of the few Americans absolutely delighted that Fiat is taking over Chrysler (who have produced crap punctuated by a couple of good cars for far too long). Will Alfa Romeo replace Volvo in my heart? I doubt it; unless the Chinese buy Volvo and mess it up. However Alfa Romeo is certainly earning its own place in my life and heart.

Volvo. For life. Alfa Romeo for right now!!

Racing my Volvo
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: South Lanarkshire
Re: An American in Scotland says Hello

Welcome to AO and Scotland. You should join us for a meet some day soon - always good to meet one of our cousins from across the Atlantic.

Pop into the South Scotland lounge to see what's happening in and around Central Scotland.
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex

Hello and welcome :wave:
Nice intro post
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia

welcome to AO, nice post.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

american , scotland