Hello - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 22-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex

Hi everyone. I've posted quite a few times on the AO site and just realised I've never actually introduced myself

My name is Danny [obv] and I originally come from Chelmsford in Essex (spare me the jokes please), but I'm now renting in South London. This makes the journey to work about two hours shorter every day, and because I cycle to the office, about 3,500 a year cheaper

My car history is pretty succinct, despite being middle aged. My last car was a Golf Gti (96 plate) which, considering it hadn't been serviced for around three years was remarkably reliable. Despite this it was getting a bit long in the tooth so I decided to upgrade to something a bit more fancy. I was after something small and sporty and had looked at Peugeot 207's, Ford Puma's and Renault Clio's. They were all OK but nothing really jumped out and said 'I'm the one'.

I don't know what prompted me but one day when I was searching on AutoTrader I happened to click on the Alfa link and started looking at the different models. I had always liked the GTV but knew nothing about any of the other cars in the range. To my suprise the 147 looked really nice, and the spec of the diesel model was amazing. 140BHP and 55MPG in something which looked that good had to be a misprint surely?

I saw a 53 plate being sold in a garage near Portsmouth and so the following day I drove down to have a look. It was a silvery blue colour and looked even better in the flesh than in the advert. The garage owner was showing me around and explaining that it had air con, cruise control, traction control, a radio which worked (novel for me ), all for less than 4k. Bargain I thought so once we'd agreed to pay for half the cost of a new cam belt each I parted with my dough and drove my baby home

In the two months since it has had several things replaced which, in my car and Alfa's defence probably didn't need to be done. These include an oil pressure sender, thermostat, water pump (not done at same time as cam belt , and a temperature sender. The car is in a different garage at the moment and I've been told it possibly needs a new radiator as the existing one appears to be blocked, and I might be charged for yet another thermostat. I'm too depressed at the moment to explain why I (don't) need another thermostat after only four weeks but that might be the outcome

Despite this I absolutely love my car. I understand it's going to need much more loving care than I ever gave my Golf and I'm glad to say this is exactly what's it's going to get I clean it at least once a month and recently had it re-mapped which has taken the power up from 140BHP to 184BHP. It's now lightning quick and such an absolute joy to drive

I probably won't spend any more money making it go faster now as it seems to make more sense to drive this one for a couple of years, and put the money I save towards a 150BHP, or even a 170BHP in the future.

Looking forward to reading about Alfa drivers experiences with their cars. I've already learned such a lot in the few weeks I've been a member. I was even able to offer someone some correct advice myself the other day! Shock!!

Last edited by DanBoy24; 22-03-09 at 16:19.
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia
Re: Hello

Hi Danny nice intro

hello and welcome to ao
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex

Hello and Welcome :wave:

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself