The interview no one would want to buy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 03-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

147 1.6 Sport

The interview no one would want to buy

Your Forum name

Real name
Colin Russell

Internal auditor (Part-time), previously a VAT man and Customs Officer.

Poole, Dorset

Marital Status
Married 33 years, but can't remember breaking 5 mirrors.

which cars do you drive and why?
Just bought a 147 1.6 TS Sport. I've fancied an Alfa since Adam was a lad, but previous attempts have failed. A rusty 14 month old Sud was rejected despite an incredible drive. An 18k miler Giulietta was rested, tired feeling drive, too much wear on the gear knob (no wood grain left) indicating a clocked car, confirmed by a glued crack down the speedo and a rapid exit from the forecourt. Financial issues over the years stopped the purchase of a 33, 155, 145 Cloverleaf and a 146. 'Er indoors has a hateful 206CC which I occasionally have to drive, we have a Swift motorhome and I have a half built Lotus 7 replica in the garage which one day I will finish

Are you a real passionate for Alfa Romeo?
See above

What or how started your passion for Alfa Romeo and…
….do you think it’s fundamental to own one to have the passion?

The passion has been there for ages, but as an ex car salesman in the 70s I have memories of tissue paper construction and questionable electrics. I just love Italian design – I've owned 7 Fiats. I think Alfa have only made a couple of questionable looking cars – the 75 and that turd of a car the Arna (Sorry if anyone loves them)

Would you ever consider joining an Alfa Club or are you already a member of one?
Free member of this one – not sure yet about an upgrade and haven't looked the rest to decide

What do you like most about Alfas?
The looks and design.

What do you like least about Alfas?
Haven't decided yet, I've had the car for a month. The dodgy build reputation in the past I guess.

What would be your dream cars?
At the moment I want to get the Seven on the road. I have coveted one since I was about 14 and cycled past the local dealership. I'm not sure why – probably because I like designs that are different, but still work well.

What car would you least like to drive?
How long do you want the list? In the 70s I drove most of what was around and wouldn't want to repeat the experience with a lot of them – Marina, Ital, Beetle, Moggie Thou, Arna.........the list could be endless.

For you, what’s the most popular thread on AO?
What would be your ideal drive in an Alfa (destination, passenger, driving music, etc)?
Probably down some French N road – no traffic, no distractions, on my own, Pink Floyd with no particular destination, maybe a nice degustation – wine & pate, just enjoying the country side.

Any humorous Alfa or car-related stories you wish to share with us?
I sold a new Dolomite and the customer managed to lock himself out on the forecourt. I told him not to worry I could open it and went to get my tools from my car and did the job. He was most disturbed at the ease with which I got into it with two bits of bent welding rod.

What interests do you have outside of Alfas?
Photography, art, motorsport, antiques, architecture, travel........most things really.

Tell us something nobody knows about you. (E.g. special skill, ever been on TV, etc) No special skills, though I can turn my hand to most things if necessary, e.g. self taught brick layer and welder. There is stuff from my Customs days, but I'm still bound by the Official Secrets Act, but back in those days I could sniff out cannabis from about 20 feet away. I did once sniff a load that the drug dog missed.

Do you have a party trick? If so what is it?
Does getting drunk count?

What do you like most about the Alfaowner forum? Any favourite threads, episodes or people? To soon to say as a newbie, but likely to be the technical advice. Though from membership of other forums the social bits can be entertaining

If you had £50,000 you had to spend in 72 hours, how would you choose to spend it?
Boring I know, but I'd pay off a large chunk of my mortgage and then consider full retirement.

A fine beer can be judged with one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure.
Sponsored Links
Re: The interview no one would want to buy

Nice interview and great user name

As one mid-fifties to another, you've certainly done a real variety of things for a living - don't know how you packed it all in.

Really pleased somebody else doesn't like the Morris 1000 - really hate them now as much as ever.
Global Mod Team
County: Milano

Thanks for sharing your profile with us
AO Platinum Member
County: -

Nice interview!
AO Platinum Member
County: Surrey

Previously a VAT man I'll have to watch what I say on these forums from now on!!!!

(glad to see you saw the error of your ways ... )
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 05-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

147 1.6 Sport

Hi Chris, I took early release, didn't like the way the department was going after the take-over. Seriously, I would watch what you say about your tax affairs anyway, I don't know how many times people have said things to me in casual conversation without knowing anything about me. Tax men don't have a rubber stamp on their forehead you know.

BTW I have a mate called Chris, also in Camberly and he's ex department too, but he doesn't have Alfa - still I won't hold it against him.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

buy , interview