First Alfa Romeo... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 20-05-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Well Happy First Alfa Romeo...

Just got my first Alfa after wanting one for years, just to have as a second car for a bit of fun really - not sure if I could trust it's reliability as my one and only car...! 1998 156 2.0 Sport Pack 2 manual in Silver, done 74k with one owner from new and i'm absolutely pleased as punch with it! It has its charactor (but dont all old italian cars??) and needs some work doing but as it's a second car I will do this as and when.

When I picked it up it was running at 50 degrees the whole way home (just over 100 miles) so I changed the thermostat first of all, and now it sits at just under 90 and never advances from there, even in hot weather and short traffic jams. I have no record of a cambelt change from the previous owner so I will get that done over the next couple of months sometime, along with the variator as it is making the diesel noise on start up - only from hot though, never from cold... anyone know why that might be?? Is it bad for it to be run in this state? It also turned out the air con compressor was disconnected, so that needs replacing completely by the look of it. The airbag light is on, but I can live with that... When returning to idle, when the engine is hot, it fluctuates between 500 and 1500 rpm for a few seconds before settling down to normal idle speed, what could that be? Does not bother me too much but will if it gets any worse...

All in all though a great car with fantastic handling and a beautiful noise when she gets going (3,000 rpm really does make a difference!) just a little nervous about the cambelt for now... And all for 900, not bad value at all! Really useful forum too guys, keep it up!
Sponsored Links
Mark Alfa
Re: First Alfa Romeo...

Hello and welcome to AO
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex

Hello and welcome
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia

Hi and congrats on your 156
Global Mod Team
County: Milano

Congratulations on the 156 and welcome

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

alfa , romeo