Newbie here... Thinking of buying an Alfa! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 10-02-08

Member car:

Spider 2.2 07

Newbie here... Thinking of buying an Alfa!

Hi there,

I currently have an 06 A3 3.2 DSG but thinking of changing as fuel costs are too high! I was waiting for the A3 cabriolet but it looks like that will be delayed now until May / June time.

I'm thinking of either:
Spider 2.2 JTS
Brera 2.2 JTS / 2.4 JTD
GT 1.9 Blackline

However I've heard Alfas aren't as reliable as other makes, and in the 5 years of Audi driving I've never had a breakdown!

Went to the Alfa garage today but there's nothing available to test drive until Wednesday - so I thought I'd post here and get everyone's thoughts!

Are Alfas reliable now? what are the main things to look out for?

Any comments / suggestions welcome please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 10-02-08
mikebrown

Re: Newbie here... Thinking of buying an Alfa!

welcome to AO...

modern Alfa's are as reliable as most other makes...with the added bonus in having great design and history...full service history is the only must when buying used (as per any other make)...

mike
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 10-02-08
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Welcome to AO

Buy an Alfa and put a smile on your face

Yes they are as reliable as any other Marque.... but....

Find out if you have a 'good' dealer/service outlet nearby
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 10-02-08

Member car:

Spider 2.2 07

Hi guys.

I have Guest Alfa in Knowle - Guest Solihull in West Midlands. Authorised Alfa Romeo dealership and they seem pretty good.

I don't really know much about Alfa's and can't find much about residuals - I'm tempted with a spider for the summer, then change to the brera / GT.

They've got an 07 2.2 JTS spider with 5000 miles for 22. which I didn't think was too bad... Looking forward to a test drive sometime this week when it comes in!

The car has 'blue and me' on it - is this just a bluetooth link to a mobile or is there more to it do you know?
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 11-02-08
Global Mod Team

County: Milano

Member car:

ex 147 2.0 Selespeed

Hi and welcome AO

Moved to Introductions Lounge
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 11-02-08
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Focus ST3 + 145 QV

Hello and welcome
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 12-02-08
Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia

Member car:

94Alfa Spider+12SLK 350

Hi Jon welcome to AO, happy hunting for your alfa, hope you find one that suits you.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 12-02-08
AO Gold Member

Member car:

misano blue spider jts

Hello and welcome to AO.
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 12-02-08
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Hello and Welcome !!

Just get an Alfa and get out of that hum drum panzerwagen !!

Blue & Me check out the link on the right !!
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 12-02-08

Member car:

Spider 2.2 07

Ah thanks for that! I like a car with gadgets so that may be the final deciding point!

Yep the Audi is a bit of a tank, I'll give you that - at least it's well built

I think I'll go for a spider, then change it come the end of summer fpr a Brera / GT Blackline, my theory is I shouldn’t have to put much more towards them as the spider is more expensive new!

Does anyone know anything about the residuals of the new spider? Because it's so new I can't find anything on the internet as yet.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 12-02-08
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159SWTI, V8M3, Daytona675

Hello mate and welcome!

Yes the new alfas are reliable - just as reliable as other luxury cars. As with BMWs etc niggles tend to relate to electronics, like windows not being set to the precise milimetre or whatever. Serious problems are rare. Just like any car, stay away from the very first examples of a car as that's when you get problems with factory production. For the Brera, stay away from early 06 units.

Blue & Me was only released in 07 so that particular car you refer to should be fine. Blue & Me is a fantastic toy, make sure you get a car with it on. Even the guys in the local car audio shop were impressed with it.

One word of warning, the 2.4 diesel models don't get amazing mileage because of the DPF (Diesel Particulate filter??), so do test drive 2.2 petrol as well as 2.4 diesel. The performance figures for both are very similar. New, the diesel costs £3k more, though perhaps second hand there's less difference in price between the two.

Brat Pack no.8
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 17-02-08

Member car:

Spider 2.2 07

OK so I took the spider out for a test drive at the weekend. Lovely car, but one minor problem... The roof didn't work!!

They took it back and called today and said that the manual override that sits in one of the storage compartments had been turned on which was why the hood didn't work.

Does this sound realistic? I've not had the chance to see the car again to look for this 'manual override'.

It's all working now so I'll get another drive over the next couple of days... however I don't wan't to buy a lemon!
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 17-02-08
Unregistered

Member car:

Alfa 1.9 GT in Ivory M

Originally Posted by jonathanhubbard View Post
OK so I took the spider out for a test drive at the weekend. Lovely car, but one minor problem... The roof didn't work!!

They took it back and called today and said that the manual override that sits in one of the storage compartments had been turned on which was why the hood didn't work.

Does this sound realistic? I've not had the chance to see the car again to look for this 'manual override'.

It's all working now so I'll get another drive over the next couple of days... however I don't wan't to buy a lemon!
To be honest - Alfa's are about soul and heritage and the love of design....because of this it has not necessarily been built to be a tank...and thats where the niggles, can be somewhat tiresome if you are used to a boring german motor - M3/5 RS4 aside.

You have to ask yourself do I want to be seen as an individual and part of a unique club that looks beyond the niggles...and drive a car that simply turns your face into one big grin when you approach it and leave it...let alone just driving it.....

This is how I described Alfa's to a guy at work that is thinking of buying a 156 2.5 V6....

Alfa's are like dating a supermodel thats incredibly good in bed....with that they can be tempremental, and will occasionally leave you having to dip in your wallet to keep her happy....

Would rather be on a supermodel, than on a bavarian shotputter...

Chris
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 17-02-08
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Member car:

LE Spider / GT JTD

Does sound reasonable - Ive just bought a spider and dont regret it at all - no mechanical issues at all.

Only tip see if you can get a pre reg car with very low milage for around £23k (Meridian Milano may be able to help - Portsmouth)

I test drove just about all of the alternatives and they are all bland compared to the spider.

Oh and welcome to AO
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 18-02-08
AO Member

Member car:

spider TS, + 156JTD

much more fun than a german car, you'll realise that if you thought you were cool before you've just become a lot cooler even if your not trying to be,and you'll be let out at junctions too. + you wont have to give as many people lifts if you get the spider but you'll be twice as popular?
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 18-02-08

Member car:

Spider 2.2 07

I've found an 07 with 5k miles, Blue+Me, leather, 18inch alloys for £21995. It's the cheapest I've been able to find in the area, and the nicest - but of course I'm going to try and knock a little off
I like the sound of that! I'm forever driving people around so with any luck I'll get the lifts now!

Having said that I probably won't want to get lifts anyware once I'm driving the spider!

I think you've just made up my mind - I'm off to call Alfa
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 18-02-08
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Member car:

LE Spider / GT JTD

I've found an 07 with 5k miles, Blue+Me, leather, 18inch alloys for £21995. It's the cheapest I've been able to find in the area, and the nicest - but of course I'm going to try and knock a little off
I like the sound of that! I'm forever driving people around so with any luck I'll get the lifts now!

Having said that I probably won't want to get lifts anyware once I'm driving the spider!

I think you've just made up my mind - I'm off to call Alfa
Sounds like a nice car with all the required toys & sensible milage - hope they give you the deal you want - glad you have seen the light.

You will not regret your choice for a second, the car is stunning to look at, just expect it to be like a sports car, its more of a GT - treat it as such and you will be thrilled.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
alfa, buying, newbie, thinking

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2005 Alfa 156 2.4...
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

View Tas1308's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
We take privacy seriously, this is why we advise you to check your privacy settings by visiting your profile area and selecting "Profile Privacy".

New To Site? Need Help?