Hello! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-10-16 Thread Starter

County: -
Hello!

Hi, Newbie from Cornwall here.

Picked up my 159 saw two weeks ago, my very first Alfa- long time admirer first time owner! The SZ is still my favourite looking car of all time btw.

So, a few years ago I used to live my watercooled vw's. I owned various Corrado's, and Mk1/Mk2 golfs. But recently I had been forced to grow up, so been driving various boxes around that I really didn't care about. Having realised an estate works for my lifestyle, and being a little embarrassed of my B5.5 Passat (looked like an old shed), I decided enough was enough, I need something to bring the pride back to my motoring. Well here's it is.

IMG_1227.JPG

2007 1.9 JTD in Oltremare blue. Beige leather. Upsides are the cambelt, flywheel, rear springs, tyres and brakes have all been done in the last 10k. Bodywork and interior are in good condition. Pendle remap. Double din factory sat nav system.

Downsides are the gearbox has a bit of a whine, and the front and rear sub frames came up as advisories on the last MOT for corrosion. I've booked the car in to have the gearbox oil changed next week, which hopefully will help a bit. My plan with the sub frames is to get the car up on tracks and attack it myself with a wire brush, hammerite, underseal and waxoyl. I had a good look at the rear today and it looks mostly cosmetic, so this should work, but I'm a bit more worried about the front.

So far I've done the following

Satin chrome mirror caps for the Ti look
Cleaned EGR and fitted restrictive plate (helped low-down response)
Cleaned MAP sensor (was blocked solid)
Cleaned boost solenoid

Next up is the gearbox oil change to see if that quietens it up a bit, and an Italian tune-up to clear the dpf. I want to have a look at the airfilter too, as I reckon this could be lagged.

I'd also like to get it machine polished, to freshen up some of th tired paint, and as I weirdly only have the stock mats for the drivers side, I'd like a new set of mats. Preferably to match the beige seats.

Im hoping the Turbo is still in good nick, no signs to suggest it isn't, but it plays on your mind on these cars.

I'm considering upgrading the stereo too, as although this has the optional sat-nav system and cd changer, it's really not a great stereo. It's fiddly to use, with a massive screen that isn't touch screen, it's not DAB, doesn't link to my phone and has no Aux capability. Given you can get touch-screen, Bluetooth compatible stereos for a couple hundred I think I might look at this later on.

Anyway, hello from Cornwall!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Lancashire
Garage
Welcome to alfa owner.

County: Cork
Garage
Welcome to AO & to Alfa ownership, congrats & good luck with your 159
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Hi :hi:

Welcome to AO

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself