Confirmed!! F1 breakaway series!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  (Post Link) post #1 of 50 Old 18-06-09
joeydawson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Confirmed!! F1 breakaway series!!

Its been confirmed!

autosport.com - F1 News: Teams to launch breakaway series
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  (Post Link) post #2 of 50 Old 18-06-09
AO Member
 
liam156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 634
Images: 1
Woooooooooooow should be interesting

Cheaper tickets!
liam156 is offline  
  (Post Link) post #3 of 50 Old 18-06-09
AO Silver Member
 
Prof Peach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,800
Images: 13

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

Life would be a lot simpler without Mr Mosely.
Prof Peach is offline  
  (Post Link) post #4 of 50 Old 18-06-09
AO Gold Member
 
rgwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Peach View Post
Life would be a lot simpler without Mr Mosely.
I reckon he's the monkey......Ecclestone is the organ grinder.....he's needed to make even more money out of the circus since his wife has annexed half his assets.....

I still think that after a lot of grandstanding an accommodation will be reached, because I think it will be difficult for FOTA to sort a series in the timescale for next year - and the TV money won't support two series......
rgwm is offline  
  (Post Link) post #5 of 50 Old 19-06-09
AO Silver Member
 
Prof Peach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,800
Images: 13

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

I agree, but it looks more like they want to sidestep the political restraints within the sport.
Prof Peach is offline  
  (Post Link) post #6 of 50 Old 19-06-09
AO Member
 
liam156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 634
Images: 1
Sure there will be no teams left in F1 so I'm sure the TV rights battle won't be too difficult
liam156 is offline  
  (Post Link) post #7 of 50 Old 19-06-09
HSTDriver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by liam156 View Post
Sure there will be no teams left in F1 so I'm sure the TV rights battle won't be too difficult
I suspect if they're so keen on avoiding budget cuts, there'll more likely be no teams left in a breakaway series
 
  (Post Link) post #8 of 50 Old 19-06-09
AO Silver Member
 
Prof Peach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,800
Images: 13

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

We are talking about the big boys in the sport too. Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, BMW Sauber, Toyota, Brawn, Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso. If and when they choose to leave the field, I think they will take the ball with them so to speak.
Prof Peach is offline  
  (Post Link) post #9 of 50 Old 19-06-09
AO Member
 
liam156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 634
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
I suspect if they're so keen on avoiding budget cuts, there'll more likely be no teams left in a breakaway series
I really think the brake away series will dominate the airways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Peach View Post
We are talking about the big boys in the sport too. Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, BMW Sauber, Toyota, Brawn, Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso. If and when they choose to leave the field, I think they will take the ball with them so to speak.
100% agree with you here
liam156 is offline  
  (Post Link) post #10 of 50 Old 19-06-09
HSTDriver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Peach View Post
We are talking about the big boys in the sport too. Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, BMW Sauber, Toyota, Brawn, Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso. If and when they choose to leave the field, I think they will take the ball with them so to speak.
Depends on so many factors. TV rights, sponsorship deals, Circuit deals, and ultimately, given a level playing field between 2 series (which we're unlikely to get) the public would vote with their feet and go with the series that they enjoy watching most.

As a motorsports fan, I'd rather watch whichever series gives the best racing, not necessarily which series has the most exotic names.
 
  (Post Link) post #11 of 50 Old 19-06-09
AO Silver Member
 
Prof Peach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,800
Images: 13

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."
Prof Peach is offline  
  (Post Link) post #12 of 50 Old 19-06-09
AO Member
 
liam156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 634
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Depends on so many factors. TV rights, sponsorship deals, Circuit deals, and ultimately, given a level playing field between 2 series (which we're unlikely to get) the public would vote with their feet and go with the series that they enjoy watching most.
And if the new series allows the public to have the slightest input into the breakaway series I think it will succeed Less regulations etc.

Possibly at the start of the series things such as TV rights etc could still be all in F1s favour because of existing contracts.

I think there will also be a price war for the best drivers, whichever series gets the most topped ranked drivers will more than likely succeed in catching the largest audience.
liam156 is offline  
  (Post Link) post #13 of 50 Old 19-06-09
HSTDriver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Peach View Post
"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."
At this early stage in proceedings, that's just a meaningless soundbite.

And as I said, is any of that more important than good racing? Perhaps some people think so, but I'm certainly not fooled by it, any more than I've been fooled by F1 in the last decade. (odd exceptional weekends notwithstanding)

both series (if this breakaway goes ahead, still) have lots of work to do, because for the 'world's best motorsport' they're laggin well behind other series in terms of entertainment and spectacle.
 
  (Post Link) post #14 of 50 Old 19-06-09
AO Member
 
vincebio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwm View Post
I still think that after a lot of grandstanding an accommodation will be reached, because I think it will be difficult for FOTA to sort a series in the timescale for next year - and the TV money won't support two series......

you dont seriously think that montezemulo and co havnt been planning this for ages do you?

they will no dount have sponsors, venue's lined up already...

they have been wanting rid of the FIA since before ferrari took the 100m in 2006 to stop the breakaway...

3 years is a long time in F1
vincebio is offline  
  (Post Link) post #15 of 50 Old 19-06-09
AO Member
 
KoFFiE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Belgium
Posts: 297
Images: 10
Sounds fantastic. Maybe there's still hope for F1?
KoFFiE is offline  
  (Post Link) post #16 of 50 Old 19-06-09
AO Member
 
liam156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 634
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincebio View Post
you dont seriously think that montezemulo and co havnt been planning this for ages do you?

they will no dount have sponsors, venue's lined up already...

they have been wanting rid of the FIA since before ferrari took the 100m in 2006 to stop the breakaway...

3 years is a long time in F1
Have to agree her too, no businessman would release this news if they where not entirely sure if it could work.
liam156 is offline  
  (Post Link) post #17 of 50 Old 19-06-09
HSTDriver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by liam156 View Post
Have to agree her too, no businessman would release this news if they where not entirely sure if it could work.
Traditionally breakaways can't work. This one might break the pattern, but one certainly can't predict at the moment
 
  (Post Link) post #18 of 50 Old 19-06-09
AO Silver Member
 
Prof Peach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,800
Images: 13

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

That meaningless soundbites from the same report. If you discount that, then you might as well discount the whole report, the whole thread as meaningless and comment on someones MAF problems instead.
Prof Peach is offline  
  (Post Link) post #19 of 50 Old 19-06-09
AO Member
 
liam156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 634
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Traditionally breakaways can't work. This one might break the pattern, but one certainly can't predict at the moment
I think purely down to all the teams that will leave F1 makes it very possible for this one to work, the sponsorship is there because the likes of ferrari etc have created such a strong name for F1 over the years.
liam156 is offline  
  (Post Link) post #20 of 50 Old 19-06-09
HSTDriver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Peach View Post
That meaningless soundbites from the same report. If you discount that, then you might as well discount the whole report, the whole thread as meaningless and comment on someones MAF problems instead.

Don't talk twaddle, man.

It's easy to say things like that with no backing. Now given the calibre of teams involved, we must assume that they have good backing, no doubt of that. But how will it stack up comapared to F1? No idea. Not yet.

F1 currently hold all the cards. Now that may change, but one throwaway sentence doesn't make it so.
 
  (Post Link) post #21 of 50 Old 19-06-09
AO Silver Member
 
Prof Peach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,800
Images: 13

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

The whole thread then is discussing a report which has no backing.
As the resident officianado, I will leave it to you to choose which bits are accurate, and which bits are "twaddle".
Prof Peach is offline  
  (Post Link) post #22 of 50 Old 19-06-09
Regional Representative
For United Arab Emirates - AO-UAE
 
Stephen Manjai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,211
Images: 28
This should be interesting!
Stephen Manjai is offline  
  (Post Link) post #23 of 50 Old 19-06-09
AO Silver Member
 
Freds GTV 2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,110
Images: 48
Ive been watching F1 for the last 20 years and ive never seen such a debacle with the FIA in the last few years especially with the ruling of Hamiltons overtaking Raikonnen at SPA as the biggest debacle ive ever seen in F1 in the last 20 years IMHO.

As well as the issue now with the diffusers turning the grid upside down. Who would ever have seen that in the last 50 years + of F1 !

Any improvements they can make over these 2 issues has got to be a postive move in the right direction !!
Freds GTV 2001 is offline  
  (Post Link) post #24 of 50 Old 19-06-09
AO Platinum Member
 
Ralf S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The land that Time forgot
Posts: 12,380
Images: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post

As a motorsports fan, I'd rather watch whichever series gives the best racing, not necessarily which series has the most exotic names.
Mallory park on a Sunday afternoon then.

Trouble is, the rest of the World doesn't agree. The "public" moan about watching "proper racing" but they still turn on the telly to watch the shiny cars.

No disrespect to the new teams.. but US-F1, Manor and Campos...? We could watch GP2, couldn't we...? But we don't.


Ralf S.
Ralf S. is offline  
  (Post Link) post #25 of 50 Old 19-06-09
AO Platinum Member
 
Ralf S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The land that Time forgot
Posts: 12,380
Images: 17
A1-GP race-series. For sale.

Owners can't afford interest payments on <something>.

T.V deal.
Track deal.
Freight fowarding deal.

Done deal?


Ralf S.
Ralf S. is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
breakaway , confirmed , series

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome