159 SAT/NAV Replacement Help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > ICE & Blue&Me

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 12-10-07
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9JTDM Lusso

Help 159 SAT/NAV Replacement Help

Hi Everyone
Finally decided to replace the totally rubbish Alfa/Navteq Sat/Nav that came with my new 159. However there are a couple of qustion I wondered if anyone knew the answer to before I 'press the button':

Through the Sat/Nav you can set-up other features of the car like 'Auto Door Locking'; Dash Board light levels & Beeps etc; Language and a host of other stuff that I can't just remember right now.

My question: Will these functions be totally lost if I replace the supplied Sat/Nav or will they transfer to the 'Setup' Button on the LHS Steering Wheel Stalk?

Hope someone can help out here cos' the sooner I get shut of this rubbish Sat/Nav the happier I will be

Look forward to your replies

CD

The future's not what it used to be... well, not since I bought my 159!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 13-10-07
AO Member

Member car:

Replacement 2.4JTDm 159SW

Re: 159 SAT/NAV Replacement Help

Sorry CD, but I cant answer definitively. I am shocked that the Sat nav is that bad. Mine doesnt have the sat nav but all of the set up features you describe are available through the steering wheel stalk.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 13-10-07
AO Member

Member car:

2003 156 JTD 1.9

functions cant "transfer" mate! If you remove the system thats providing those functions, they wont be there!!!

Its like saying "my cooker has a cool function, if i buy a microwave, will the cool function transfer over from the cooker?"

LOL

If you mean the multi-function trip computer display on top of the dash, then you would lose all the things it provides if you take it out, but I dont reckon you can replace it anyhow. You will have to buy an aftermarket sat nav and fit it somewhere else, unless you want to butcher your dashboard. The steering wheel stalk is just another switch controlling that computer, if its not there anymore, the stalk will obviously not work.

________

Me & Her...

I love my tractor so much, If it wasn't an abomination o' god's law, I'd make it my wife...
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 14-10-07
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9JTDM Lusso

Mhollywood, believe me
I had an Alpine sat-Nav in my A4 and it was simply awesome compared with the Navteq supplied with the 159. There is no Postcode search; the map display is just rubbish; You can't see your pre-set destinations on the map; it takes 5-10 minutes to input an address etc. etc.

I was in the centre of Leeds the other day and it told me to turn right up the wrong way of a one-way-street; when approaching a roundabout and need to turn left it tells me to go 'Straight on'.

I thought after three and half years technology would have progressed somewhat. What a 'bag of spanners' the Navteq system is! If anybody is thinking of ordering one as standard, please beware!! It is simply not worth the money, it is a big dissapointment.

Added to this is the issues with the built in slot for a SIMM card. If you are on a business tariff with your company mobile you can't get a duplicate SIMM; plus the Hands-free is really bad quality and everyone complains that they can't hear you - a real step backward from what I was used to.

Sorry to rant, but I'm really cross about this. You think you are getting the DB's and you end up with a cheap 'rip-off'. Wish I had gome for the 'Blue & Me' and had a third party Sat-Nav fittedlike someof the other memebers have done.

Glad I got that off my chest...

CD
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 14-10-07
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9JTDM Lusso

Sorry Evilscotsman, you may be right ,but you may not be.
If all the functions are availible on 159's without the Sat-Nav I would have thought that there must be something in the software that detects or doesn't detect the Sat-Nav and squirts the information to the appropriate device ie: the screen and buttons or the dash and the SW Stalk.

I just wondered what the results were if anyone else had ripped out the factory Sat-Nav.

CD
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 14-10-07
AO Member

Member car:

2003 156 JTD 1.9

if its a seperate unit and leaves the computer still at the top, then you could probably rip it out and replace it, (if the plugs etc are the same) as long as the actual trip computer is intact, the functions will stay
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 14-10-07
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9JTDM Lusso

Cheers, I'll let you know the outcome :|
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 18-11-07

Member car:

Alfa 159 Ti

To clear up the Sat Nav issue...

All data is managed by the Body Computer, NOT the Sat Nav, this is merely a node in the CAN network system and just allows for the input and display of data. Technically removing it has no impact on any other function in the car, but...

... for 159's with Connect Nav, the input into the Body Computer for key settings is the Connect Nav unit, for cars without then this is done via the column stalk.

The software loaded onto the Body Computer is therefore different, but here's the rub... ...its loaded at the factory and CANNOT be amended, even with the Alfa/Fiat examiner.

You cannot order a new Body Computer with different software as they are ordered against your chassis number and the new unit will come with the same programme.

The irony is that you can add Connect Nav+ to a car that didn't have it at birth (although you do need a special adapter to delay ignition power by 4 seconds to prevent mileage on speedo from flashing!), but you can't remove it from one that had it at birth.

P.S: When you add Connect Nav+ the input functions are mirrored on both the Connect unit and the Column stalk.

Cheers,
Ian
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 19-11-07
Unregistered

Member car:

Porsche 944 Turbo

Just to clear up some misconceptions:

Most major manufacturers use Navteq maps. I have found them very good in my wife's BMW & my own previous car. The downside is that Navteq only update their maps (UK, Europe, N.America etc twice a year & by the time the map CD/DVD's are on sale they are already out of date!). The current Navteq map designation is 2007-2. The next update (2008-1) won't be available until May 2008. BMW charge approx £250 for an updated map disk! (that is £500 a year to have updated maps on your SatNav!).

Also, some of the Navteq map updates require a change of software to the Operating System (Firmware) of your car's GPS reciever to utilise map upgrades - such as 3D Perspective view - rather than a 2D "Birdseye" view. BMW will do that for £86 a time! BMW also charge £1800-£2500 for fitment of their SatNav units on a new car. And it is fixed so when you sell the car it is gone!

I know a fair bit about this as I used to supply BMW Navteq disks, which I used to add the UK/European Speed Camera Databases to.....

No commercial Navteq map (anywhere in the world) is supplied with a "Safety" camera warning/display. Navteq are Dinosaurs.

My heartfelt advice is to buy a "TomTom XL" for between £140-£240 as I have done. You can transfer it to any car in seconds, use it on foot, motorbike etc, add a UK/European Speed Camera (Fixed AND declared Mobile camera sites for £1.99 from PocketGPSWorld.com). Audible warnings of approaching cameras, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY you can just plug your TomTom into your computer via a USB port and get your map updated 24/7 totally free of charge!

IMHO anybody who specifies & pays over £1000 for a manufacturers SatNav system needs their head examining. Pay a little more than £300 to TomTom & you can buy a unit with full handsfree bluetooth voice activated telephone connectivity....

For any of you actually using Navteq maps & wanting to update to the latest 2007-2 map FOC just search a torrent such as "Bitlord", download the map & use "UltraISO" to burn to CD/DVD for your car.

Last edited by CockneyRebel; 19-11-07 at 08:57.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 20-11-07
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9JTDM Lusso

OK, I did it anyway....
I have just replaced the factory-fit Sat-Nav on my 159 with a double-din Alpine Unit. I was aware that quite few of the 159's additional features are set through the Sat-Nav and not with the Steering Column Stalk as on non-Sat-Nav versions. However, I was optimistic that if the software system didn't see the Sat-Nav it would squirt the data to the Steering Colmn Stalk... And it DOES!!

I contacted the service manager at my Alfa dealer and asked him to get in touch with AFUK for their advice. This was his reply:
"I contacted the Alfa Romeo technical department yesterday regarding replacing the original sat nav system in your 159. As far as they are aware this could cause problems with multiple systems on the vehicle due to the fact that the unit is a communication node on the Can system (communicates relevant messages digitally with other control units)

Removing this would break the link to other control units – possibly resulting in the B Can system shutting down.

Also the functions controlled by the sat nav unit would no longer be available."
By this time I had already bought the kit so it would do me no harm to test it. I haven't lost a single thing as everything is now available through the Steering Column Stalk.

HOWEVER: There is one thing you need t be aware of:
The factory-fit Sat-Nav has a LARGER APERTURE than the standard double-din radio unit fitted to non-Sat-Nav versions, and as such the standard 159 facia-fitting kit for all third party Sat-Nav systems will be too small and leaves a gap around the whole thing

I will get this sorted somehow and let you know what I do, but let me tell you; the quality of the Alpine System with Bluetooth; i-Pod etc. is absolutley gorgeous and makes it worth every penny.

I know, some of you will think I'm 'barmey'! But, hey, who gives a s**t if I'm happy

CD
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 22-11-07
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4JTDm Lusso

Originally Posted by Chromedome View Post
OK, I did it anyway....
I have just replaced the factory-fit Sat-Nav on my 159 with a double-din Alpine Unit. I was aware that quite few of the 159's additional features are set through the Sat-Nav and not with the Steering Column Stalk as on non-Sat-Nav versions. However, I was optimistic that if the software system didn't see the Sat-Nav it would squirt the data to the Steering Colmn Stalk... And it DOES!!

I contacted the service manager at my Alfa dealer and asked him to get in touch with AFUK for their advice. This was his reply:
"I contacted the Alfa Romeo technical department yesterday regarding replacing the original sat nav system in your 159. As far as they are aware this could cause problems with multiple systems on the vehicle due to the fact that the unit is a communication node on the Can system (communicates relevant messages digitally with other control units)

Removing this would break the link to other control units – possibly resulting in the B Can system shutting down.

Also the functions controlled by the sat nav unit would no longer be available."
By this time I had already bought the kit so it would do me no harm to test it. I haven't lost a single thing as everything is now available through the Steering Column Stalk.

The factory-fit Sat-Nav has a LARGER APERTURE than the standard double-din radio unit fitted to non-Sat-Nav versions, and as such the standard 159 facia-fitting kit for all third party Sat-Nav systems will be too small and leaves a gap around the whole thing

I will get this sorted somehow and let you know what I do, but let me tell you; the quality of the Alpine System with Bluetooth; i-Pod etc. is absolutley gorgeous and makes it worth every penny.

I know, some of you will think I'm 'barmey'! But, hey, who gives a s**t if I'm happy

CD
Not at all CD!
I have great 18" horse-shoe alloys on my 159 - only 7 months old and am thinking of paying 1200 quid to upgrade to 19Ti wheels and new rubber.
Its only insanity if you get no pleasure from it -functional or aesthetic.
Let us know how you get on....
C
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 22-01-08
AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Jag XJ and a 4C hopefully

OK, I did it anyway....
I have just replaced the factory-fit Sat-Nav on my 159 with a double-din Alpine Unit. I was aware that quite few of the 159's additional features are set through the Sat-Nav and not with the Steering Column Stalk as on non-Sat-Nav versions. However, I was optimistic that if the software system didn't see the Sat-Nav it would squirt the data to the Steering Colmn Stalk...
CD
Really interested in your thread CD, making me think that the SatNav in a Brera won't be worth having. Can't (yet) work out if that means I can't order Blue&me but will get to the bottom of it hopefully at a dealer.
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 23-01-08
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Member car:

Giulietta 170 JTDm

You can have Blue&Me OR Satnav, you can't have both. I'm more than happy I chose the Blue&Me.
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 23-01-08
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9JTDM Lusso

My sentiments entirely Fraser, but if Robborover is going to fit a retro Sat-Nav, most of them have BT & MP3/iPod built in.

But, 'you pays your money and takes your choice'. Unlike me that ended up paying twice

Did I hear something about Alfa fitting Panasonic Sat-Nav's or was that just a dream

Best regards

CD
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 23-01-08
AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Jag XJ and a 4C hopefully

My sentiments entirely Fraser, but if Robborover is going to fit a retro Sat-Nav, most of them have BT & MP3/iPod built in.

But, 'you pays your money and takes your choice'. Unlike me that ended up paying twice

Did I hear something about Alfa fitting Panasonic Sat-Nav's or was that just a dream

Best regards

CD
Think I might wait for a Brera revision (lighter with better solutions)!
Or get a TomTom!

Last edited by robborover; 23-01-08 at 09:30.
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 24-02-08
AO Member

Member car:

159 Sportwagon 2.4 ti

I wanted satnav in a new 159 TI SW. I elected for a pioneer AVIC-D3 system which fits in the central console. Blue&me does not work with this and whilst most of the steering controls work, selecting phone does not. That said, the satnav is good with postcode select, it has its own bluetooth system (which works well), DVD, ipod and radio all in one. And it looks good in the central console. It is significantly better than my previous Audi / volvo factory alternatives.
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 24-02-08
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4tb Lusso

When I was at my local dealer they had the Pioneer AVIC-D3 unit on the display shelf, £1250 fitted. Me thinks they know theres a problem and that this is a good solution.
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 20-02-09
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

Giulietta

I will get this sorted somehow and let you know what I do
So what did you do? Did it look okay when you were finished? Interested to know because I may have to do the same. Did you have any problems in the months afterwards? Cheers.
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 28-02-09
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9JTDM Lusso

Hi Alfaadmirer
I just ordered and fitted a new Console Facia with the smaller aperture from my Alfa dealer. Cost me £80 but looks awesome. Blue Tooth & iPod in the glove compartment. Everyone thinks it is a factory fitted system.

No issues with anything after a year and all the steering wheel controls for the audio work fine (with the exception of the telephone).

Hope this helps

CD
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 24-04-09
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa Brera 2.2

I'm putting a dogear on this.... Just got myself an aftermarket satnav kenwood dnx8220bt and hoping I will be brave enough to install this myself onto the brera.... alfa service tried to scare me off doing this... yikes
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 01-05-09
AO Member

County: Aquitaine

Member car:

3000GT , 159 Ti 2.4 JTDm

CD , you say everything but the phone works ?

I assume the new headunit has its own phone but , does it pick up on the existing car mic and speakers without an extra adaptor ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > ICE & Blue&Me

Tags
159, replacement, sat or nav

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Ao Killarney Meet...

View David P's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Within your User Control Panel, you can change the way AO works:
For example, to change the number of posts per page, go to Edit Options and scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'. In the section 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' select a desired amount.

New To Site? Need Help?