159 Sat Nav - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > ICE & Blue&Me

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 03-04-08
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4JTDm SV 210

159 Sat Nav

Hi everybody!

I'm thinking of buying a 159 diesel and would want to have the factory fit sat nav, however I seem to read a few negative posts about it and wanted to try to determine what it is that people don't like about it.

I currently have a 2005 Volvo S60 with factory nav and although it doesn't have postcode input, it's OK. Fairly standard sat nav as far as I'm concerned. Also, my girlfriend's 56 Civic sat nav is pretty much the same. (although it has postcode input).

So what's the deal with the Alfa unit? I'd be really keen to hear peoples opinions.

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 03-04-08
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Member car:

Giulietta 170 JTDm

Re: 159 Sat Nav

I have no experience of the standard satnav but the new '08MY cars come with a different set up that incorporates Blue&Me. This should be superior.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 03-04-08
Global Mod Team

County: Milano

Member car:

ex 147 2.0 Selespeed

Moved to ICE Tech Lounge
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 03-04-08
AO Member

Member car:

159 Sportwagon 2.4 ti

I bought a 159 SW diesel earlier this year. It was an in-stock ti model without satnav so I opted for a 'dealer fitted' pioneer system (referred to (with photo - it looks very good)) in the recent 159 SW Ti mini review on this page) which I know many dealers have recommended, referring to the shortfalls of the factory system. My dealer suggested that this would soon become the Alfa factory fit of choice (for 2008 models?) but I have seen nothing to confirm this. For what it's worth, I much prefer the pioneer to the Volvo system - it is touch screen, has a good bluetooth system for mobiles, has post code selection and works well with ipod. The only drawback of my system is that the satnav operates off a single loading CD but as I use my ipod for all 'canned' music it doesn't really cause a problem.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 03-04-08
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

1998 Spider 2.0 Lusso

The original Alfa sat-nav is basically awful.... even admitted to by the dealers!

However you can now spec a pioneer unit, which has been confirmed to me by those in the know to become an official Alfa option very shortly.

The Pioneer unit is well worth having, the original Alfa Sat-Nav is akin to setting fire to your money IMHO
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 03-04-08
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

Sprint 1.7, 159 Ti, 911

I recently fitted the Pioneer Avic-D3Bti to my Brera and it's a great improvement over the Alfa fitted Navteq crap.

I managed to buy the system from a hifi dealer on the net (Roadradio in London) for £675 and spent another £100 on the facia adapter and the can-bus interface which allows the system to function through the steering wheel buttons. That also included the bluetooth hardware too which is every bit as good as Blue & Me.

You can customise the splash screen and AV backgrounds by downloading your own pictures onto the system. The satnav is light years ahead of the Navteq and it's also a DVD/CD/MP3/Ipod player too. It's all touch screen controlled and straightforward to operate.

Cost me £70 to get it fitted by a local hifi installer so all in I think it's a bargain at less than £850 considering the Navteq's a £1470 option.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 04-04-08
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159

I have the factory fitted SatNav and for sure it is not very bright. I recommed you fitting an aftermarket device which will be also cheaper.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 04-04-08
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4JTDm SV 210

Thanks for your replies. Can anyone expand on what it is that's so crap about the system. Wasn't it updated for the '08 model year?

I need sat-nav to make visiting new clients a bit easier which is why I've always opted for factory fit units (after struggling with an aftermarket unit), it's just so much more convenient to dial up a destination as soon as I need to rather than stopping, fitting up the tomtom or whatever and setting off again, then there's dismantling it when I arrive. There's also the benefit that the factory fit unit will mute the radio when it needs to issue an instruction.

TIA
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 04-04-08
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Giulietta 170 JTDm

Originally Posted by zygote View Post
Thanks for your replies. Can anyone expand on what it is that's so crap about the system. Wasn't it updated for the '08 model year?
TIA
That's what I thought and that the new system incorporated Blue&Me.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 04-04-08
AO Member

Member car:

159 Sportwagon 2.4 ti

The Pioneer unit is a console fit (i.e permanent fit) not a mobile hand held unit, that fully integrates with the car, including the use of steering wheel controls. To all intents and purposes, it looks and feels like a factory fit except it is better than anything else Alfa have provided to date. The bluetooth / phone works well including radio mute, as it does with Satnav instructions and ipod connections. I use it frequently and did not want a mobile, handheld unit. Having used the volvo system on an S60, this is way better including a simple touch screen operation and post code entry; the system exceeded my expectations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash3.jpg (60.8 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg dash2.jpg (61.2 KB, 266 views)
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 08-04-08
AO Member

County: Monmouthshire

Member car:

159 JTDm Qtronic

Originally Posted by Sandy379 View Post
The Pioneer unit is a console fit (i.e permanent fit) not a mobile hand held unit, that fully integrates with the car, including the use of steering wheel controls. To all intents and purposes, it looks and feels like a factory fit except it is better than anything else Alfa have provided to date. The bluetooth / phone works well including radio mute, as it does with Satnav instructions and ipod connections. I use it frequently and did not want a mobile, handheld unit. Having used the volvo system on an S60, this is way better including a simple touch screen operation and post code entry; the system exceeded my expectations.

Where do you connect an iPod? Do all the steering wheel functions work (ie phone, voice commands and radio etc)?
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 08-04-08
Nev

Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
That's what I thought and that the new system incorporated Blue&Me.
Blue 'n' Me Nav is not a map based system.

It uses voice controlled address/postcode
input with vocal and direction guidance
from the main display. ("Turn left", "Turn right"
etc.)

Or that's what I've understood it to be.
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 09-04-08
AO Member

Member car:

159 Sportwagon 2.4 ti

Originally Posted by jdrrco View Post
Where do you connect an iPod? Do all the steering wheel functions work (ie phone, voice commands and radio etc)?
The Ipod connects in the glove compartment - easy access. The steering wheel works for radio / ipod / volume but not with 'voice' or the phone - the blueandme system does not function. But the pioneer has a perfectly good bluetooth system, which works well, including options for 'voice', operating off a touch screen.
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 09-04-08
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Giulietta 170 JTDm

Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Blue 'n' Me Nav is not a map based system.

It uses voice controlled address/postcode
input with vocal and direction guidance
from the main display. ("Turn left", "Turn right"
etc.)

Or that's what I've understood it to be.
INteresting. DOn't fancy that much then.
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 09-04-08
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4JTDm SV 210

The brochure for the 159 and Brera both state that Blue & Me is not compatible with "any navigation system".

Bummer! I blame Microsoft.
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 11-08-08

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

159 2.2 JTS ti

just to add my experiences: I've been trying to spec my new company 159 ti with the Blue&Me Nav (as shown in the brand new brochure and on the website) but the dealer that the leasing company is using is adamant that alfa offer two factory fit satnav devices - the nav unit being incompatible with blue&me(!?!) and the other that won't work in the UK. Despite this clearly not being the case, they just won't have it. Decided to re-spec and had the bose and bi-xenon instead. Looks like I'll be asking for a tomtom for my birthday then.......
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 12-08-08
AO Member

County: Monmouthshire

Member car:

159 JTDm Qtronic

Originally Posted by AlfaBadger View Post
...the leasing company is using is adamant that alfa offer two factory fit satnav devices - the nav unit being incompatible with blue&me(!?!) and the other that won't work in the UK...
I think they're right. IIRC Blue & Me Nav is the one that doesn't work in the UK (and hence isn't available over here). The other factory "full" satnav has a slot for a SIM card but doesn't use Blue & Me. The full satnav is crap according to those who have it - see various threads on here.

I would definitely (and indeed did!) go for the TomTom option. I'm very pleased with mine. Having had factory-fit units in my last 3 cars, I didn't think I would be but I have to say it's even better as you can program it at home or at your desk, then put it in the car and go. Also it updates itself with new maps, cameras, POIs etc when you attach it to your pc.

I spent a very pleasant evening at home entering about 30 or so chateaux, hotels, vineyards etc for a trip to France in Sept. There's no way I'd have sat in the car doing it, but now they're all in the memory and we can just pick them out and head off when we're over there - brilliant!
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 25-08-08
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Originally Posted by Sandy379 View Post
Sandy379 - What a great job.that's looks neat and tidy

I wondered if this works with the iPhone 1st generation (calls and music & via the steering wheel controls) and can the map data be updated via memory sticks sd cards etc.

Thanks for the assistance
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 26-08-08
AO Member

Member car:

159 Sportwagon 2.4 ti

Originally Posted by strid View Post
Sandy379 - What a great job.that's looks neat and tidy

I wondered if this works with the iPhone 1st generation (calls and music & via the steering wheel controls) and can the map data be updated via memory sticks sd cards etc.

Thanks for the assistance
Sorry but don't know about the IPhone and as for the HD models you would need to check with the supplier / maker as to SD slots etc.
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 30-08-08
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm S/W

Originally Posted by zygote View Post
Hi everybody!

I'm thinking of buying a 159 diesel and would want to have the factory fit sat nav, however I seem to read a few negative posts about it and wanted to try to determine what it is that people don't like about it.

I currently have a 2005 Volvo S60 with factory nav and although it doesn't have postcode input, it's OK. Fairly standard sat nav as far as I'm concerned. Also, my girlfriend's 56 Civic sat nav is pretty much the same. (although it has postcode input).

So what's the deal with the Alfa unit? I'd be really keen to hear peoples opinions.

TIA.
I am well versed on this problem 57 plate 159sw the standard radio + satnav is well crap DO NO TOUCH IT! Alfa are now offering Pioneer as an option and (at my pushing) now have the F9000BT on the list. I have driven with the immediate predecessor and it is great. check out the Pioneer it is well cool! you can bolt on DAB and rear camera, ipod, SD DVD etcetc ARUK are swapping mine under warranty in a week or so. I'll let you know

Last edited by nigelboyle; 30-08-08 at 06:21.
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 10-09-08

County: Suffolk

Member car:

159 1.9JTDM Q-Tronic

Hi all. For those of you with the Pioneer system (which does look really good) does it still display the other car functions such as the setup menus and trip display etc?
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 10-09-08
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm S/W

Originally Posted by MikeCavUK View Post
Hi all. For those of you with the Pioneer system (which does look really good) does it still display the other car functions such as the setup menus and trip display etc?
Mine is being fitted next week, I'll let you know
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 16-04-09
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa Brera 2.2

Reading all this has now made me think about avoiding the factory fitted satnav for my brera now so cheers guys... now its a toss up between the poineer one (supported with navgate software) or the kenwood one (supported by the supposed better garmin software).... erm??
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 24-04-09
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 LE + CBR600F

Just to re-enforce the message guys - Ive just taken delivery of a 159 with the infamous Blue&Me Nav....

The Nav part is preety much useless. Takes 10 mins to input address and then you get to the part of actually trying to input the EXACT destination and guess what - no postcode input... pants.
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 25-04-09
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm S/W

Originally Posted by Feldone View Post
Just to re-enforce the message guys - Ive just taken delivery of a 159 with the infamous Blue&Me Nav....

The Nav part is preety much useless. Takes 10 mins to input address and then you get to the part of actually trying to input the EXACT destination and guess what - no postcode input... pants.
Yup I was there too - ARUK replaced it under warranty for a Pioneer AVIC9000BT The sat nav and music is suburb, the ipod link and software are particularly great! and phone not so great!

Last edited by nigelboyle; 25-04-09 at 10:54.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > ICE & Blue&Me

Tags
159, nav, sat

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Ao Killarney Meet...

View David P's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
We take privacy seriously, this is why we advise you to check your privacy settings by visiting your profile area and selecting "Profile Privacy".

New To Site? Need Help?