Advisory notes from MOT's - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 30-11-11
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

Mito Lusso 95 + Qashqai

Advisory notes from MOT's

Hey guys Im in need of some advice and points of view regarding the issue of advisory notes from MOT's.

A few months ago I brought a secondhand 206 from a dealer. Part of the deal was that it would have a fresh MOT. When we got the car it a had a fresh certificate with no advisory attached, or any signs there ever was on attached.

After a month I noticed that the inside edge of the front tyres was heavily warn (outside of MOT failure zone). I phoned dealer and he said if it had shown up on MOT then he would have sorted it, as it didnt he wouldnt do anything about it.

Now I only just found out that you can view your MOT certificates online and guess what the car had some advisories including the worn tyres.

The question is do dealers have to pass on advisory notices as it forms part of the test certificate or not?

Trading standards arent sure but said that if the general concenus by garages and those involved in MOTs is yes then I may have some recourse.

So any advice/opinion would be good and before anyone says it yes I should have looked at tyres more closly before buying it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 30-11-11
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA , E12 M BMW

Your certificate will have a note somewhere which will say if there is an advisorys page. Can't remeber without looking at it though.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 30-11-11
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Citroen DS3 120VTi DStyle

It will state on the MoT certificate if an Advisory Notice has been issued:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...VT%2020%29.pdf

Edit: Joss just beat me to it!
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 30-11-11
AO Member

Member car:

Mito Lusso 95 + Qashqai

Dave thanks for that link il now double check it. But im sure it doesnt have anything in it.

If it does thats another lesson learned read the sheet properly in future lol.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 30-11-11
kevjtd

one of the reasons why the certificate has now bene changed is to stop the advisory sheet being thrown away.

you now get a piece of paper for a certificate instead of a watermarked official sheet, does list the advisories though.
but can't help thinking about how easy they would be to forge....

info here

Your MOT certificate : Directgov - Motoring

new "paper" mot, just printed on ordinary printer paper, not watermarked or anything

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...0(VT%2020).pdf
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 30-11-11
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

Golf 2.3 V5

I have had this done to me as well.

The advisory note that should have came with my Ford Puma was missing and would have revealed 2 slightly buckled wheels, rust starting on brake pipes and an oil leak.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 30-11-11
AO Silver Member

County: Abu Zaby

Member car:

Ford Explorer / XC 90

Yep - I suspect many of us have fallen for it over the recent past.

Think of how many car salesmen hand over that fresh MOT, and sit there thinking "please don't ask about advisories, please don't ask about advisories, please don't ask about advisories..."

And seemingly so few of us do!
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 01-12-11
AO Member

Member car:

Mito Lusso 95 + Qashqai

Thanks guys dont feel quite as silly now I know others have done the same thing.

Ive looked at the ertificate properly and it says there was an advisory issued with it. Lesson 2. learned look at the certificate properly.

Gonna be a lot more cautious next time I buy a secondhand car though.
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 01-12-11
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Countryman Cooper SD

My GTA was MOT'd by the dealer when I bought it and was given the MOT without any advisories attached. But fairplay to the salesman as when I asked him he said it mentioned rusty discs and sure enough when I checked the online records that was exactly what was shown.

Mind you I don't think he would have offered the information had I not asked.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 08-12-11
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

'98 156 2.0, '09 MiTo 1.4

There are still plenty of dodgy sales working with just as dodgy MOT garages ... it's not impossible to get a "new" MOT that isn't a true reflection of the car. I looked at a 206CC for my daughter. I was shown the "new" MOT and no advisory sheet or note. The car was a wreck ... worn discs and pads, perishing tyres, lights not working, holes in the exhaust, ... and more. Needless to say I walked away ...

Trouble is if you buy one with a dodgy MOT and report it, the first think VOSA do is to cancel the MOT, which means you're off the road. Then to get it back on, you need a NEW MOT .. and YOU PAY!! Nothing is in the owner/drivers favour .. we're penalised.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 08-12-11
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

Golf 2.3 V5

In that instance of being sold a car with a dodgy MOT, I would be taking it back to the garage that sold it and expecting a refund.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
advisory, mot, notes

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
1998 alfa romeo 146...
Alfa Romeo 147...
2002 alfa romeo 147...
Alfa Romeo 156
2013 Alfa Romeo...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Pink My Ride

View Allerd's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Within your User Control Panel, you can change the way AO works:
For example, to change the number of posts per page, go to Edit Options and scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'. In the section 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' select a desired amount.

New To Site? Need Help?