"New" Fiat Bravo air con problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 02-01-11
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51

Member car:

156 GTA

"New" Fiat Bravo air con problem

I have posted on the Fiat forum but no ideas have come up....

Basically, 2007 Bravo Sport with automatic climate control (just like the Alfa one).

3 years with no issues then all of a sudden the windows have started to badly mist up in cold weather. The compressor doesnt engage under about 3C as it shouldnt. When this compressor is off though, the misting up is atrocious, like needing to lower windows when coming up to a junction.

The system has been re gassed, new pollen filter fitted and Fiat have given the system a once over, said it was fine. Carpets are dry, footwells are dry, spare wheel well is dry. Air recirc is off.

Today, temp was above 3C and compressor was working, windows clear. Temp then dropped to 2.5C and compressor went off (again, as expected). The car misted up completely in around 30 seconds, (all but the windscreen, and even then had a 3 inch border of mist around the edges of that).

Any ideas anyone, Im at tethers end! Its bordering on dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 02-01-11
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

BMW 528i SE

Sounds like a problem with the recirculation systemalthough I am not familiar with the setup on the Bravo.

Maybe a stuck flap, or leaves got in there?
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 02-01-11
Club Member
Membro Medio

Member car:

156 GTA

Cheers Symon. Fiat had it and reckoned all the flaps were ok, though not sure whether this was just plug it in and get no error codes type diagnosis.

I am going to get it over a pit tomorrow and check all aircon drain bits (if I can find them ) to check they are not blocked.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 03-01-11
Rewe

Are you sure the heater matrix is sound?
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 03-01-11
Club Member
Membro Medio

Member car:

156 GTA

Yep. No loss of coolant, Ive also had the trim off under the fan housing, dry as a bone. Advice from another site reckons more likely than not there will be water somewhere in the car that shouldnt be there. Fiat said they'd checked the carpets but I think I will re check!
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 03-01-11
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

BMW 528i SE

If the carpets are anything like the ones in Alfas they will have plastic backing. So if water has got between them and the floor the carpet will still remain dry.

You will have to lift them up and have a look underneath.

Another thing I can think of is if the aircon drain is blocked, it may be allowing water into the car, possibly under the carpets.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 03-01-11
Club Member
Membro Medio

Member car:

156 GTA

Yes I had the dreaded blocked drain on the GTA years ago!

Will lift carpets tomorrow and see....will keep you posted
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 04-01-11
Club Member
Membro Medio

Member car:

156 GTA

Drove home from work tonight, (5C ext temp), tried turning heating system off completely. Although I was cold it worked, no condensation...

I then put a fan heater in the car and warmed it up until "very warm" inside. Still no condensation. This leads me to believe the car itself is dry.

I then immediately drove the car for 10 mins with the heater on (no compressor though), with external temp at around 5C, and the windows misted up again.

My conclusion, the heater is introducing moisture into the car. Would a blocked aircon drain cause this? Any other ideas?

PS no loss of coolant whatsoever, so unlikely to be a matrix issue
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 09-01-11

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Fiat Bravo Dynamic 1.4

Hmmm New Bravo Aircon Issue

Just a note to say I am suffering exactly the same issue with my Bravo Dynamic with Climate Control.It does exactly the same i.e. 2.5/3 Degrees and the windows mist up like bilio.It is becoming a safety issue as the misting up is in the rainforest order! and visibility is severely impaired.
Mind you my car did get damp the other night as all the windows opened on there own and it got soaked. Today my mileometer started flashing with no other warning lights.I am wondering if there could be a dodgy sensor somewhere.I have it booked into a main dealer on Wed and I have printed out your problem as there must be something common here, too much of a coincidence (my car is still under warrantey although they did threaten me with a £70.00 odd dignosis charge) I will keep you posted.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 09-01-11
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

When your compressor checks out at low temperatures, does the air-con light go off? Mrs Bazza's Bravo keeps the light on - I haven't tried listening to see if I can tell myself.
I ask because in the GTA, the air-=con light goes off in those circumstances.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 09-01-11

Member car:

Fiat Bravo Dynamic 1.4

The air con compressor light stays on regardless of whether the compressor is working or not.Mind you my hearings not brilliant( too much heavy rock music!) and I don't known whether it kicks in or out.Reading the manual it inferrs if the compressor switch is on the compressor runs continually but I can't verify that 100%
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 09-01-11
Club Member
Membro Medio

Member car:

156 GTA

The light on the switch stays on, however there is a snowflake symbol on the heater display (not to be confused with the one on the speedo display!). This symbol is on with the compressor, and goes off when the compressor goes off.

Funny thing tonight...

Drove home with compressor on, with a glass cup under the aircon drain. Although the windows were clear, no water came out of the drain.

Turned the compressor off and the whole car misted up within a minute.

Turned the compressor back on (on full auto - had to restart the car to get it on as outside temp was 4.5C, another issue?), anyway, the compressor did its job, car started to clear and there was water pouring out of the aircon drain.

Conclusion, god knows but it seems that the water is somehow stuck in the system, and then "dumps" itself back in the cabin when compressor is turned off. Mine is in on tues!
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 10-01-11

Member car:

Fiat Bravo Dynamic 1.4

Cry Like A Baby the saga goes on

Today my car has worked o.k, temp 7 deg outside and compressor snowflake on full Auto (read instruction book!) Working fine ,however one other thing I have noticed is one of my wing mirror demistors is not working ,although that could be unrelated. I did read on another forum that there is a frost sensor in the mirrors.
I'm an engineer working on x-ray systems and I know what a pain these sensors can be.I would have thought that a dodgy sensor would have shown up on the diagnostics but who knows, I might be barking up the wrong tree but these problems seem to be temperature related and feel it is something to do with the temperature control. to be continued ...
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 10-01-11
Club Member
Membro Medio

Member car:

156 GTA

Coincidentally enough, our drivers mirror heater isnt working. The temp sensor is on the passenger side though!

I have re created the problem in ours. After a journey with snowflake on turn off the compressor and the whole car steams up. This is after the air con drain gets rid of precisely zero water. I reckon there is a problem with shifting the water out of the system.

Anyway, keep me posted and I will also. Its in tomorrow for 3 days and its out of warranty

Mind you the dealer does look after me (we have around 10 Fiats in immediate family that they service)
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 11-01-11

Member car:

Fiat Bravo Dynamic 1.4

Tues 11th, My car has been fine all day but coming home tonight the temperature dropped to 3deg and low and behold steams up and compresser icon not on heater control panel.It must be some sort of sensor problem as it is too solid a fault. It must be the compressor not turning on.I had the full auto on and the snowflake icon was illuminated on the display with not a sign of mist. My passenger side mirror doesn't warm up but I don't know if it has any relevance.See what the garage says tomorrow however I am not holding my breath.
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 11-01-11
Club Member
Membro Medio

Member car:

156 GTA

Right, so they found what they called a pretty big leak in the boot area. Not sure if this will cure it but worth a try. Anyway, the leak was the seal had gone from around the third brake light, and water was pouring in, around the wiring loom and filling the small gap on the rear sill. It was then draining away but having all that water in the cabin cant have helped. A new seal is on order and hopefully will get it back tommorrow. I will let you know if this has cured it. (Im hoping it would be too much of a coincidence to have a leak and a heater problem!)

Oh and the mirror problem was a burnt circuit on the back of the glass itself.
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 12-01-11
Club Member
Membro Medio

Member car:

156 GTA

Seal didnt turn up today, should be there tomorrow so nothing to report!
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 12-01-11
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

He hasn't done anything really good since Crazy anyway, so you're not missing anything.
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 12-01-11
ukmike2008

Originally Posted by bazza View Post
He hasn't done anything really good since Crazy anyway, so you're not missing anything.
LOL
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 12-01-11
Club Member
Membro Medio

Member car:

156 GTA

very good Bazza
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 13-01-11

Member car:

Fiat Bravo Dynamic 1.4

Had my car back from garage no fault found.It is fine at moment as weather is mild.Having mirror done under warranty and have had an aircon freshener carried out so it smells like.I think these italian cars just don't like the cold ! !!
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 13-01-11
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Citroen DS3

Originally Posted by ukmike2008 View Post
LOL
Originally Posted by PR View Post
very good Bazza

The mods nightmare of thinking of one thing while posting elsewhere.
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 13-01-11
Club Member
Membro Medio

Member car:

156 GTA

Well, picked it up tonight. Mech showed me where the water was coming in (and I thought, that still looks wet!) and guess what happened when I turned the compressor off on the way home?? Yes thats right, the whole car misted up again (and this with the exterior temp of 9C). Yippee....
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 14-01-11
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

I would think that solving the leak will not instantly result in your steaming problem being fixed. You'll need to wait a good while for what's already come in to dry out.

Perhaps you could get one of those dessicant dehumidifier thingies that DIY stores sell to speed the process? I don't think they cost very much.
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 14-01-11
Club Member
Membro Medio

Member car:

156 GTA

I had thought that aswell Bazza. However, this morning I ran it with the air con off, the thing steamed up again but then cleared, slowly, until there was say around 10% of the rear windows misted up. I turned the compressor on and as expected it cleared the remaining mist. I turned the compressor back off and the whole car proceeded to steam up again, ie after the "blast" of aircon the car was in a worse state than before (unless I am missing something, like as the moisture was being removed from the air, it was drawing more from the source?).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
air, bravo, con, fiat, problem

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2005 Alfa 156 2.4...
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

My Latest Transport

View Verbout's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Within your User Control Panel, you can change the way AO works:
For example, to change the number of posts per page, go to Edit Options and scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'. In the section 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' select a desired amount.

New To Site? Need Help?