advice..what to keep??... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 22-04-08
AO Member

Member car:

bmw m3 evo coupe

advice..what to keep??...

.ok, so im getting my fiat coop 20vt back this week, at last....(never tell a mechanic your not in a hurry to get your car back..!!)...got a bit of a dilemma....i will have spent about a grand on the fiat, which is neither here nor there, its MY car and i bought it cos id always wanted one and i cant see where else you can get the coops blend of searing pace, rarity, film star looks and italian glamour for the same money...

..yet the enjoyment i get from the coop is mostly in the ownership..its not particulalry involving to drive, although it is an absolute rocket on the road..i enjoy the design, i love looking at it, i love sitting in it..hell, i love the car, it has charisma and soul in spades...and its 'future proof' (new clutch, cambelt, radiator, thermostat, water pump, rear hub assemblys..)......

problem....the wee mazda mx5 iv recently bought is an absolute hoot...its the diametric opposite of the coop..its a bit dull to look at, there are thousnads of em around, its not particulalry fast, not very practical...but you get more fun at 50mph than in the coop at 100mph...the fiat only really comes alive at higher, licence looseing sppeds, the mazda is a blast going to the shops for the paper...it just doesnt grab my ******** like the fiat does..the fiat, to quote elvis costello 'pulls my eyes out with a face like a magnet'....the mx would be an easier ownership proposition, readily available parts, traditionally easy to work on..should always hold its money....and means i would rarely speed and so can keep my licence..and i can keep my new low mileage cinq sporting too for when i need a bit of space or need to get somehwere fast!!! im not gonna extol the virutes of the sporting again, y'all know how i feel about them.....

OR do i just accept that after owning 150 plus cars, in reality, im not gonna keep any of them for any length of time and just have a clear out, netting say £2.5 k for the coop, £800 or so for the cinq and £1500-£2000 for the mazda, releasing potentially around £5k to spend on something really silly......HELP ME...AARRGHHH.....

in a nutshell, i enjoy DRIVING the mazda..(and cinq) more than the coop, but i enjoy owneing the coop more than the mazda....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 22-04-08
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Member car:

LE Spider / GT JTD

Re: advice..what to keep??...

Sell the lot and get a spider - answers all your issues.

Looks good goes well drives good and its a soft top.

Oh and its and Alfa
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 22-04-08
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Mercedes-Benz 190E

i think you need to keep the Mazda.

it sounds like the Fiat is ticking a lot of boxes, but not boxes that you're tapped into. But the Mazda defines that crucial difference between a 'need' and a 'want'.

Always keep the car that's a 'hoot' over the car that's 'cool'.

g
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 22-04-08
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Member car:

2 x 156 GTA & 156 TS SW

Keep all three, seems like they're worth more to you than in cash, plus you love them all in their own way. No reason why you shouldn't own 3 cars.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 22-04-08
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Giulietta 170 MA + GTV TS

Sell 1 and spend the money powerflexing the Coupe, lower it, sports suspension. make it as good to drive as the MX5.
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 22-04-08
Darren156

I had a 20VT myself until recently, it was an amazing car I must say.

I find it hard to believe that the MX5 is a more involving drive that the Fiat

Just do what you gotta do mate, if you like the MX5 the most keep it and sell the 20VT. But make sure you don't do something you'll later come to regret.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 22-04-08
AO Member

Member car:

bmw m3 evo coupe

the mazda is much more raw, much more intimate....i would compare driving the fiat quickly over my favourite back roads to being in a jet fighter, whereas the mazda is like a ww1 biplane!!!...each huge fun in their own way, each totally different!!!....

handling and feel are more important to me than outright grip and speed..hence i love the wee japanese buzbomb..but the fiat , to me, is a genuine entry level exotic..nothing looks like it, few cars go like it....

..i have a feeling that il pick up the coop from the garage and drive it the 14 miles or so home and fall head over heels all over again..iv not driven it for 5 weeks or so and absence makes the heart grow fonder eh??.....
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 22-04-08
Darren156

Possibly mate!

Great cars though...

I'm more about flat out, straight line speed, the faster I can get from 0MPH - ... 70MPH, , the better

I'm trying to work out how I can convince my other half that buying a 2005 Mustang GT 4.6 Manual is a good investment,
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 23-04-08
AO Member

Member car:

bmw m3 evo coupe

if your like me, you can justify any car purchase to yourself, your mrs and anyone who asks....best way..
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 30-04-08
AO Member

Member car:

bmw m3 evo coupe

ok..decision made....its with a heavy heart that im gonna try and bid a fond farewell to....the.........mazda!!....yes, i have had huge fun in the wee car....yes, it would probably be cheaper to keep it in the long run, be the more sensible daily drive...yes i will miss it madly....but at the end of the day, the day..i can ALWAYS find another mx5....they are the most popular roadster of all time...i doubt i will ever find another coupe as sorted as mine now is..(hopefully...)

the mazda is an absolute blast, the perfect antidote to the drudgery of normal day to day living...jump in, hood down and all your troubles, stress vanishes away during the drive home.....yet, as the incompareable jose mourhino might have said...its not 'a special one'......the big coop is.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 30-04-08
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

BMW 528i SE

My dad has an MX-5 1.8, and I have a Fiat 20VT.
There is no way on this earth I would rather have the Mazda.

The Fiat is probably more fun to drive, obviously a lot faster. has 4 seats a decent boot and still does 30mpg if you drive it carefully.

No Contest.
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 30-04-08
AO Member

Member car:

bmw m3 evo coupe

i truly find the maxda more fun to drive.....but it doesnt tug my heart strings like the fiat does....iv advertised the mazda last night before i hav a chance to change my mind!!!...
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 04-05-08
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

147 2.0 Lusso Selespeed

If it was a life or death decision what would you choose? Personally i've regretted every car that ive ever got rid of cause there has always been something about them that made you buy it in the first place. I get attached to things, especially cars, and hate to part with them. Out of the choices you have I would definately keep the Mazda (even if I think it is really a girls car) over the others. If I had the money though I would sell all three and put the money towards the new Spider and that may be enough to stop me missing them.
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 04-05-08
AO Member

Member car:

bmw m3 evo coupe

mazda went to new home today...picked up my fiat on thursday past and was instantly seduced by its glamourous looks and creamy urge all over again......it really is one of those cars ya gotta have...iv just spent more on it than i usually pay for a car!!....so its now taxed again and my everyday runner...

that said, i am an mx5 convert and will have another as soon as circumstances allow...a great fun wee car and one i owuld heartily recomend to anyone looking for a cheap, budget toy.....again, i can confidently say il have another..cos there are thousands of em...!!!...y'all can probably associate with how i feel about the fiat being alfa owners..these junior league exotica grab you in places that other cars just cant reach....the mazda was instantly satisfying, huge fun...the fiat demands more input, mjore work.....but is a thing of aesthetic pleasure to me...oh, and that 5 pot hitting the red line helps too.......!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
advicewhat

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2005 Alfa 156 2.4...
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...