Gap insurance and Superguard - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

Peter Allgood

Gap insurance and Superguard

Apologies if this has been done to death already but dealer tried to sell me (though not a hard sell I have to say) both Gap insurance and Superguard paint sealing when I bought the Q2 yesterday.

Pricing was GBP 399 for the insurance (3 years) and 299 for the Paintwork or 50 off if I had both - I sniffed commission! I was a bit concerned about paint sealer going on top of over enthusiastic pre delivery buffing and swirl marks.

Having trawled the forum it sounds like Superguard may be a bit dear for what it does and a look on the net also shows that Gap insurance is being flogged by all and sundry for less than 399.

Any thoughts and if gap cover is so good - why dont the insurers do it already? Got to check if mine does (LV).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rosso145

Re: Gap insurance and Superguard

Gap insurance is OK, but how far do you want to take it? We could have insurance for absolutely anything.

IMO, Supaguard is a waste of woney and wont do anything that polishing and waxing your paint wont do.

AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

My dealer felt obliged to mention gap insurance, but pointed out that in the case of losing your job - which seems the prime reason for having it - the first thing anyone would do was sell their car anyway, so it was a tad pointless. Didn't try to push it at all.

Superguard was mentioned in passing. Opted against.
mudhut

Supagard is a massive margin item for a dealer. It's OK but you can get the stuff on the bay and DiY for maybe around £50.

FWIW on my previous car (solid black colour) I had it done as I'd never heard of it before and fell for the sales patter. Maybe worth having if you are lazy like me but if you have the detailing bug then give it a miss IMO.

Gap insurance: not going to fall for it.

Peter Allgood

I'm with the CSMA and just checked they are listing a Gap policy for 179 quid - slightly better than 399 I thinks!

Superguard I'm not going to go for either - not that I enjoy cleaning the car (like the original James Bond of the books, cars are for driving not washing!)

Thanks for the views - most helpful as always.

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Return to invoice price gap is well worth it but leave the other stuff well alone. The price they want sounds dear though. You can buy a lifeshine kit off the bay which is much better.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

I'm with the CSMA too. Make sure the gap is return to invoice though. One just bridges the gap between market value & outstanding finance.

Last edited by Squadrone Rosso; 25-11-07 at 20:35.
Peter Allgood

Looks like the CSMA one is return to invoice - will investigate further and report back.

AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood79 View Post
My dealer felt obliged to mention gap insurance, but pointed out that in the case of losing your job - which seems the prime reason for having it - the first thing anyone would do was sell their car anyway, so it was a tad pointless. Didn't try to push it at all.

Superguard was mentioned in passing. Opted against.
How can losing your job have anything to do with your car being written off?
AO Member

Member car:

GT Blackline

I've just joined CSMA , so would be interested in the cost of the GAP insurance. Dealer quoted £299. Found Gap Insurance by Click4Gap, they quoted £207 for return to invoice price.

On the leaflet from the dealer it states "total loss GAP protection covers you for the difference between your motor insurer's pay out (or Glass's guide value whichever is the greater) and the net invoice price you paid for the vehicle, up to a maximum £10000"

So, car worth £20k if the Glass's says the car is worth £15k, but the insurer only pays out £14k you would be £1k down.

Does anyone know if this is the same with all policies, can't seem to find much info on this.
Peter Allgood

CSMA is a lot less than that - have a look at csma: insurance, travel, hotels, flights, motoring and breakdown cover

Tog
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Shop around for GAP if you think you need it.

Supaguard - chucked in as part of the deal on my Q2, probably would have got it done elsewhere if not, the Autoglym version i had put on my Lexus was excellent. There is a place down south here that does both.
Car Valeting by Clean Image the car valet centre
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51

Agree with most of what has been said. I got GAP for a lot less than the dealers were offering.

For those who say GAP is a waste of money, I thought that too, then slid off an icy road in my previous GTA. Had I taken GAP on that I would have got a nice cheque for about £9000. I didn't take it so didn't get it
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwig View Post
How can losing your job have anything to do with your car being written off?
I'm probably being thick, but I was offered some sort of payment protection insurance along with GAP, so it's that I was referring to.

Sorry
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Brera S 2.2

got supaguard of fleabay for £5 and one pouch is enought for 2 cars, somebody is havin a right laugh with the dealer prices on this stuff. got it for nothing with my spider. dont think its much cop anyway as i wash my cars every other day i think it wears off,much rather polish once a month.
AO Silver Member

Gap insurance? Is that insurance against not being able to find the right sizes in Gap??

Seriously, as you say, if the worst happens then most people will sell the car, my car has always been my "disaster fund".

As to Supagard, it can be bought on Ebay for only a few pounds, and I've heard it is almost pure margin for the stealers. I dount they bother to apply it particularly well anyway. I would take some convincing it was any better than giving your car a good claybar/polish/seal at least every 6 months - I know people who have taken up the option then just washed, not polished, their cars and in no time they loolk tatty next to a regularly polished car.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4 Ti

Looks like the dealer has had you over, the gap should be 200 - 250 quid.

I had the supergard supplied for £50! and applied for free by the dealer.

Looks like your dealer has made £400 off you as well as the margin in the car.

I was looking for a car for my wife, so I looked at the 147 sport. Apparently Alfa Romeo have given the dealer £500 extra on the 147 sports in order to shift them quicker. Did you get the £500 off?
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

159Ti 2.4 JTDM

I'm planning to pick up my new car end of this week - the dealer tried to sell me these options as well. Have told him I'll think about it, and now I'm more convinced then ever to take neither option.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
gap , insurance , superguard