Cold air intake vs Forced Induction - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 02-04-03
AO Member

Cold air intake vs Forced Induction

I have been researching for days and I am totally confused.

I am trying to figure out what is better. A cold air intake, which still goes through to a panel filter (like Autodelta one). Or an induction kit.

What confuses me, about ramming a massive K&N filter, or pipercross filter in your engine bay, is the engine heat.

SURE, the sound of this type of induction will be great. But when I stop the car and open the hood it's HOT under there, very hot. Surely sucking in hot air is BAD for your engine (let alone performance), there just is NO cold air near the engine bay, especially when at stand still at the lights. BUT, why is it that some of the fastest performance cars I see in magazines always have massive K&N filters under the bonnet? Also, with rally cars, which go through very dusty conditions, they all have massive K&N or Green filter pods next to their engines too. Surely if it's good for rally, in heat and dust it must nean it works?

I am truly confused! Any help appreciated. LOL.

Business: GillespieFox Founding member: Australian INfront
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 02-04-03
marlon

This has been discussed at length many times. Here's just one of the conversations......

http://www.alfaowner.com/forum/cgi/u...;f=17;t=000680

Marlon
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 02-04-03
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 16v SP3

Forced induction is, strictly speaking, using mechanical means to force air into an engine at higher than atmopheric pressure, i.e. Turbo or supercharging. Cone filters hardly do that!

Personally I hate cone filters, the hot air is the main problem. Far bettter to spend money on a good panel filter and exhaust and get better airflow at the correct temperature.

DOn't forget motorsport needs are vastly different to road driving requirements. A race car is not just a faster road car!
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 02-04-03
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 & WRX PPP

I'd stick with a factory-replacement (panel) filter, or something that fits into original airbox to reduce unwanted heat.

If you look at Mugen-tuned Honda in Japan, the cars (tuned for road use) are all fitted with fancy kevlar airbox and panel filter. As far as engineering is concern, IMO, Mugen is one of the leading aftermarket tuners out there.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 02-04-03
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I wouldn't fit a cone filter in the engine bay if I were you. The heat build up will heat up your engine very quick in traffic.

I had tried the same thing on my old Sprint and the difference between the panel filter and the cone filter was huge. You could hardly drive the car in traffic with the cone filters on due to the heat build up in the carbs. The engine wouldn't run smoothly and would get very hot when not moving.

I don't know why all these companies sell these filters - you might get more power but only on the open road with plenty of air flow.

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17” GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 02-04-03
AO Silver Member

I reckon you should fit one of them new induction kits where there is not air intake from within the engine bay.... instead a cold air pipe is placed at the front of the engine bay just behind the grille (or a hole in the grille).... that way it only collects air from the front of the car where its taking in outside temp.

#7 (Post Link)  
Old 02-04-03
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by G-147:
<strong>instead a cold air pipe is placed at the front of the engine bay just behind the grille (or a hole in the grille).... that way it only collects air from the front of the car where its taking in outside temp.
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">true, but it might suck rain water if its too exposed. its a bit difficult to find a spot with cold fresh air but can never get water. Paulo has done great job on this imo. he tried all possible positions, and this had the best performance:

check his site

http://alfa147.fateback.com/images/147/my147/031.jpg
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 02-04-03
AO Gold Member

Member car:

mafiamobile

YES! Paulo deserves a lot of credit, thats a very well-done job he did!

this is what a friend of mine did on his 147..
looks very impressive and he says it sounds very nice... but i'm not sure about it's position..

http://www.interteklabs.com/aroc/ima...henbriffa3.jpg

now that summer is coming, he is going to fit another bracket that will let him turn the stainless steel pipe downwards, pointing to the floor. this will lead to much better (and colder) air. unfortunately during winter this is a bit danegrous due to the water.

!?
©
(This icon is a copyright of Banflu, Banflu Enterprises and Banflu DIY-Electronic Parking Systems).

www.aroc-malta.org
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 03-04-03
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Looks nice and maybe if you live in a cold country then this might work, but with the filter right above the exhaust manifold ( which after all is the hottest part of the engine ) doesn't seem like a very good idea IMO - just wait for the summer.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 03-04-03
AO Member

Thanks for all the advice people.

I find it truly strange then that NOVITEC have made a kit which they say adds more HP but the filter is also directly above the manifold. I expected more from Novitec, how can you believe that their superchargers deliver the figures they say then if they say their induction kit adds 8hp?
http://novitec.net/shop_n/catalog/images/maxxalfa.jpg
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 03-04-03
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Sold :(

Different filters don't usually add to the power much. A BMC or ITG replacement element in your factory box would be just as efficient I would think. The best position to get air from is slap bang in the middle of the bumper where the natural pressure is greatest for ram air effect. In my opinion having the air intake system open to air from under the engine bay is stupid. Make it a sealed tube (with filter inline) from the front to the intake. But if you really want to make a difference then put a scoop on the bonnet and ram the air in that way, although it would look very wanky).

Simon

http://www.SimonHolywell.com
http://www.FullOctane.com
http://www.alfasprint.co.cc

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." Samuel Johnson
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 03-04-03
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I think Novitec make some very good products but they are also in the business of making money as all aftermarket companies are.

If they think a large number of people want this kind of filter - and it probably does give an increase in bhp but only on the open road at max rpm when there is plenty of cool air being forced into the engine bay – then they will produce it.

But if you drive your car in traffic, like most of us, you will definitely notice a big increase in intake temperature.
That’s something I can’t afford here – in summer the temperature is 45 deg C.
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 11-04-03
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

The Novitec filter is not well positioned. From there it picks up the heat from the engine which is not very good. I have on my bella a K&N filter but i used a different setup (see the pictures). The filter receives "cold air" throw a pipe. One end of the pipe is attached to the front spoiler from where it picks up the cold air and the other end is under the filter. The result: better acceleration and the engine revs up more quickly than before.

http://www.emcoint.ro/Pics/filtru1.jpg
http://www.emcoint.ro/Pics/filtru2.jpg

All the best

BMC CDA, Supersprint 4-2-1 Manifold, Remus Center Pipe, Carbon Fiber Rear Silencer, UNICHIP Piggyback ECU, C&B Cams, H&R -40mm Springs, Wiechers front + rear Strut Bars, 8x18 O.Z. Antares with 225/40 ZR 18 Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires.
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 11-04-03
Magior

that air intake should be as far away as possible from that exhaust manifold.

A car's efficiency can also be worked out as the difference in temperature between the air going in the engine and the hot exhaust going out.

To increase performance, you either increase the exhaust temperature........which is not very likely , or you lower your intake temperature by placing it as far away from hot sources.

I know some guys who spray a coolant into the air mixture to lower the temperature.
I think its used on Subaru WRX STI as standard too.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
air, cold, forced, induction, intake

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...