Alfa Romeo 147 VS Volkswagen Golf - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-06

Member car:

decision pending

Alfa Romeo 147 VS Volkswagen Golf

2005 Face-lifted AR 147 2.0 TS or 2004 VW Golf 2.0 FSI Sportline

I am interested in purchasing either one of these cars. I'd like to hear what people have to say about each of these cars (comparing & contrasting all aspects).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-06
AO Member

Member car:

Renault Megane RS250

Re: Alfa Romeo 147 VS Volkswagen Golf

Well, I've just traded my 156 in for a 2004 Golf. Not the 2.0 FSI, but the even slower 1.6 FSI! It's my wife's car. Honest. It's solid, well built, pretty nice to drive, but completely lacks soul. Nothing matches the Alfa! The new shape Golf isn't a bad looking car, especially with reasonable alloys, but it's no Italian beauty. Get the 147!
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-06
Regional Representative
For Yorkshire - AOY

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Jaguar XF 3.0 V6

I agree with PAJ, where I used to work they had alsorts of golfs as pool car's and I drove them all. They just lack any character whatsoever, UGLY as sin inside.

For me a car is about the whole package, not just what it looks like on the outside and if it goes quick. Alfa make great packages whereas other manufacturers seem to chuck all the money at one aspect of the car and not have much left over for others (like an interior thats nice to be around).
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-06
mikebrown

alfa dude.....

#5 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-06
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.6 02 Lusso

Alfa ..everybody got a Golf, everyones friend drives a golf, everyones parent had a golf....
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-06
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

Hyundai coupe v6 (EX 147)

i bet if you asked this on a golf forum all you would get is buy the golf. personally i would say the alfa but the new golfs look fairly decent
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-06
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Skinny 155v6 ICBM

The Golfers would come out with a heap of logical reasons why the Golf is better. The Alfisti here will give you the more emotional reasons. You'll know which group are talking your language.

I say go for the reliable one... choose the '47!

Ralf S.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-06
AO Member

Member car:

98 GTV 3.0 V6

Its all down to your personal preference, and what you want out of a car. Here is one way of looking at it.

My brother drives a lot of miles and has a company Audi A4 1.9 TDI. He needs it to get him from one place to another on the motorway at 90mph. It's comfy, cheap to run, its got some nice gadgets and toys to keep him occupied, and it won't break down. It is a very good car because it does its job very well.

I only drive a few miles to work, and its only a few miles to see my girlfriend. I really enjoy driving and relish a good journey in the GTV. I often take a longer route to get to where I'm going because I'm enjoying the drive. I purposefully avoid motorways and drive on A roads. I often overtake cars for the enjoyment of the accelleration, speed and noise that comes with it. It doesn't matter that there are 31 other cars in the way and passing 2 or 3 won't get me there any quicker. I'm not trying to get there quicker. For me the GTV is a brilliant car because it gets me where I want to go, in style, and with a big smile on my face.

To sum up, before a long drive my brother looks at his Audi and thinks "I'm going to get to my destination efficiently, in comfort, and with the minimum of fuss". Before I go on a long drive I look at my GTV and think "I'm going to enjoy this".

[Parthia] Live the dream!
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-06
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Is the car for you to drive or your wife / GF?

If it was for me I could never drive a Golf – just too dull and soulless.

But if it was for my wife then the Golf would make more sense than the Alfa - reliable everyday run about car – no need to worry about looking after it – just jump in and drive it to death. It will look the same no mater what you do to it and you’ll find plenty of garages interested to service it.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-06
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa gt 3.2V6

test drive both and see what you prefer.

I've just been given a 2.0TS 147 as a loaner - i'm going to miss my GT for the next week or so, it is a V6 after all, but the 147's still an Alfa, bags of character and on just a short journey home from the garage I've found it nimble, quick and very chuckable - still good fun to drive
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-06

Member car:

147 M-Jet

I had a golf before my current 147, though it was the 2.0 GTTDI. I had only had around a year from new and found it very boring! that may have been because I had an A3 before it which is essentially a golf with a bit more prestige. My alfa beats in in every department and its quicker too. I would go for the alfa

p.s as for reliability , the golf gave me all sorts of electrical problems in the first six months where as the only problems I have had with the alfa(touch wood) in my first six months of ownership is a leaking headlamp washerjet!
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-06
AO Silver Member

Member car:

33 156 164

The golf will always be the sane, sensible, practical, economic, solution.... unless of course, you actually like driving !
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-06

Member car:

decision pending

Originally Posted by Pascs
Is the car for you to drive or your wife / GF?

If it was for me I could never drive a Golf – just too dull and soulless.

But if it was for my wife then the Golf would make more sense than the Alfa - reliable everyday run about car – no need to worry about looking after it – just jump in and drive it to death. It will look the same no mater what you do to it and you’ll find plenty of garages interested to service it.
The car is for myself , not my gf
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-06
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

GT JTS/156 1.9 JTDm

The VW Golf - what public transport would look like if it was individualised.
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 18-07-06

Member car:

decision pending

Originally Posted by marko
i bet if you asked this on a golf forum all you would get is buy the golf. personally i would say the alfa but the new golfs look fairly decent
I have actually asked this on a golf forum, and am awaiting replies. I'll keep you posted as to what the outcome is
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 19-07-06

Member car:

decision pending

What Golf Enthusiasts have to say:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2720826
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 19-07-06
AO Gold Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa Giulietta QV 1750

Liked this one from the VW forum..
alfa is not alfa any more. Its a fiat engine, that is not the best in terms of quality. "

And VW is not VW any more ..no more Hitler revenge "Beetles" just staid and boring Golfs instead
To be honest, Alfa Romeo need more care and attention like Italian girls!!!!!

COB, if you and I, both living in Australia, had the choice, I would say go for the SEAT.

You could consider a new FIAT Punto.........
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 19-07-06

Member car:

decision pending

SEAT? No way :P As for the Punto, I reckon it looks the business... However, I have the budget for something better. I'm just contemplating which is the 'better' car... VW or AR
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 19-07-06
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa Giulietta QV 1750

Originally Posted by COB
SEAT? No way :P As for the Punto, I reckon it looks the business... However, I have the budget for something better. I'm just contemplating which is the 'better' car... VW or AR
Well I did 160,000 fun kms in a 1995 SEAT Ibiza Gti....it was more like what a true VW Golf Gti was like before it ate too much horrible German food.

As far as which is better goes....well both have their pluses and minuses. There is probably a slighly higher probability you will have more problems with an Alfa , often with the German ancilleries , both have strong engines,and the 147 probably need better damper/shocks installed. The real weak link in the petrol Alfa motors is the cam belt and it must be replaced every 3 years or 60,000 kms or else you will regret it.

Head over heart....well there is Love and there is Arranged marriage...you make your own choice.

Last edited by Stori; 19-07-06 at 01:19.
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 19-07-06

Member car:

decision pending

Not Happy Re: Alfa Romeo 147 VS Volkswagen Golf

To quote someone from VWvortex forum:

"To be perfectly frank I don't find the 147 terribly stylish at all... The interior is a mish mash of swooping deep dials that reak of novelty value and not much else. Personally, I reckon the styling of modern Alfas is a bit overrated. They look nice at first, but I reckon it gets a bit tiring too quickly.
I'm not going to counter that by saying the Mk5 (Golf) is more stylish or anything like that. Ultimately a car's look and the value one places on it is a personal thing. To me, the Golf is far better designed as an every day proposition in almost every aspect. It's just not as gimmicky looking as the 147, not to mention the shocking rear apron on the 147s … I don't want to see the exhaust and suspension like that. It looks out of proportion and unfinished IMO."

What do you all have to say about that?
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 19-07-06
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Interesting answers from the VW forum but they haven't really said anything that would convince you to buy a VW either reliability, style, quality etc etc

It is a bit worrying when the discussion turns to the poor quality of car jacks - not really at the top of an Alfa drivers interest

Dealer quality - now there is an issue that may well help you make the decision
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 19-07-06
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa Giulietta QV 1750

I do not think the Alfa dealers are or ever were as bad as those in the UK for example , especially in Melbourne, Victoria . Ateco , the importer is a little "tough", I gather regarding certain warrany claims

Last edited by Stori; 19-07-06 at 06:37.
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 19-07-06
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa Giulietta QV 1750

Originally Posted by COB
To quote someone from VWvortex forum:

"To be perfectly frank I don't find the 147 terribly stylish at all... The interior is a mish mash of swooping deep dials that reak of novelty value and not much else. Personally, I reckon the styling of modern Alfas is a bit overrated. They look nice at first, but I reckon it gets a bit tiring too quickly.
I'm not going to counter that by saying the Mk5 (Golf) is more stylish or anything like that. Ultimately a car's look and the value one places on it is a personal thing. To me, the Golf is far better designed as an every day proposition in almost every aspect. It's just not as gimmicky looking as the 147, not to mention the shocking rear apron on the 147s … I don't want to see the exhaust and suspension like that. It looks out of proportion and unfinished IMO."

What do you all have to say about that?
Everyone to their own...otherwise we would still be driving VW Beetle people killers
Now that is something Alfa Romeo cannot be accused of..making dangerous cars like VW has in the past.

The rear muffler on the 147 does look a little "daggy", especially if silver, and you definitely can see the rear suspension lower arms....but after nearly 4 years of 147 ownership , apart from some minor squeaks and rattlesafter 80,000 kms, that I cannot be bothered fixing, my 147 is still solid and fun to drive and always brings a smile to my face when driving. In my not so humble opinion it is still very good looking, both exterior and interior (pre facelift version) but I am however not entirely convinced by the facelift to the 147......
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 19-07-06
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Giulietta Cloverleaf

All I can say is this Forum seems a lot better than the VW's.

Oh, the remarks about test driving them yourself is very true - everybody has their own preferences.

Personally I think you'll find the Alfa a lot more charasmatic - but whether that'll be enough to sway you to purchase it is anyones guess.

Let us know what you do in the end.
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 19-07-06
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Skinny 155v6 ICBM

My works internet Gestapo thing won't let me connect to the VW Forum... it says "Site violates <Company> policy: 'Disallow Forums for ****e motahs' rule. If you require connection to this site, please contact the System Administrator"

Hmm.... Naaaah!

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
147, alfa, golf, romeo, volkswagen

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa romeo gt 1.9...
ALFA ROMEO GT...
Alfa romeo gtv 2.0...
alfa romeo 159 2.4...
Alfa Romeo GT 2.0...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Img 0961

View ALFAPAT's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Clicking the small triangle on the right hand side of every post will take you to the top of the page.
Very handy as you can instantly reach the site navigation bar!

New To Site? Need Help?