2.4 oil leak - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 26-05-11

County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa 156 jtd

2.4 oil leak

I've now had my jtd for about three months and in that time it has lost a fair amount of oil from leaks. After having it MOT'd when I bought it, I knew the oil leaks were bad and in the coming weeks spent a lot of time tightening clips on hoses and reading forums to find these leaks. I determined it was the gasket at the top of the engine between the 'rocker cover' and the head and so I tightened the bolts last week as they didn't seem to tight.
If anything, that made things worse. I could no longer park the car outside in the square outside our flat as it left such a mess it was embarrassing and I don't have an undertray either to catch a lot of the drips

Last night I decided to fix it and so took the 'rocker cover' of which only took 10 mins. The gasket was poor as it was damaged in three areas and I was too tight to spend £ 20 plus for a piece of thin rubber. I had some silicone sealant so I cleaned up the surfaces, the gasket itself and especially the gap in which the gasket sits in the 'rocker cover'.

First I squeezed in a generous amount of gasket into the gap running around the bottom of the 'rocker cover'. I thin gently fitted the gasket back into the gap ensuring it was a good fit and paying particular attention to the damaged sections. I then put a layer on to the top of the head where the gasket meets the metal and smeared it flattish with my finger. After leaving it for a couple of minutes to cure slightly, I then lined the 'rocker cover' up carefully refitted it. I then tightened up the bolts starting at the bottom right. There are 8 splined bolts in total and I tightened them up using the the ones at each corner first and then the final four in the middle. Unsure if this helps but used this method several times many years ago when tightening head bolts. Topped up the oil and left for fifteen minutes before driving.

This morning I did the school run and checked for leaks and none so far. The real test will be a drive for more than 15 mins. I'll also use some engine degreaser and a jet wash to clean the excess oil and then check once this has been carried out as it will show whether I have finally fixed this problem once and for all ! One final point. I was leaking oil from the front of the engine, dripping down onto the piping dwaring in air to the turbo, above the oil filter and to the left hand side too near the cambelt. I thought I had separate leaks, but just a poorly fitted gasket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 26-05-11
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Nowt

I think i've got the same problem as i ger patches of oil, and i've noticied it pooling up where the injectors are.

Gonna pop to Eurocarparts tomorrow to get a new gasket
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 01-06-11
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Skinny 155v6 ICBM

Dude... get a new rocker gasket..

You probably spent that much in time and gasket goo.. not to mention patio degreaser and lost oil..

You know you want to...

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
leak, oil

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2004 alfa romeo 147...
Alfa Romeo 156 JTD...
Alfa romeo 147...
2002 alfa romeo 156...
2007 Alfa Romeo 159...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Alfa 159

View paul.o's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Within your User Control Panel, you can change the way AO works:
For example, to change the number of posts per page, go to Edit Options and scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'. In the section 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' select a desired amount.

New To Site? Need Help?