How to : TEMPORARILY fix leaking clutch slave cylinder - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 15-09-08
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 522
County: Kent

Member car:

155 V6 + 2L TS 16v

How to : TEMPORARILY fix leaking clutch slave cylinder

If you have a problem with your slave cylinder leaking,
it is probably down to the fact that the seals have compressed over a few years,
and the pressure of the hydraulic fluid is enough to push past the seals.

I did a TEMPORARY fix on my slave cylinder -it lasted 3 years before it went again
I have now had to do another TEMPORARY fix to keep the car running while waiting for a replacement.
The reason I had to redo the fix is because the self-amalgamating tape eventually perished
because of the hydraulic fluid.

I have attached a few pictures of how I fixed mine
It may get someone out of trouble one day, and back on the road.

NOTE, this worked for me, BUT MAY NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE.
I take NO RESPONSIBILITY if you decide to undertake the work.

1. Remove slave cylinder from car.

The rest can be done within the confines of a nice warm house/garage.

2. Carefully move the spring which holds the rubber dust cover over the raised
edge at back of cover.
slavecylinder1.jpg
3. Remove the rubber seal - along with the actuating pin, EXPECT SOME FLUID TO EXPEL FROM RUBBER COVER.
slavecylinder2.jpg
4. Carefully remove piston from cylinder. Sometimes a couple of pushes on the end of the cylinder
will cause the spring behind it to push it out enough to grab with soft faced pliers.
slavecylinder3.jpg

Here you can see the seals have compressed
slavecylinder4.jpg

5. Carefully remove the seals.

6. Clean all the parts - especially the inside of the cylinder, and make sure there is no scoring
of the surface inside, if there is heavy scoring, then repair will probably NOT WORK.
slavecylinder5.jpg
7. Wind some self amalgamating tape around the cutouts for the seals - try to get as level as possible.
Don't use too much or the seals will not go back inside the cylinder, and may pop off the piston.
I used about 3-4 layers.
slavecylinder6.jpg
8. Replace the rubber seals.

9. Again make sure no dirt etc has entered the cylinder, and to make sure, clean out with fresh hydraulic fluid.

10. Lubricate cylinder with fresh hydraulic fluid, then replace spring inside cylinder, followed by piston - if it is too difficult to push back, don't try to force
as you may end up ripping one of the seals, instead remove some of the self amalgamating tape under the seal.

11. With cylinder back in, replace the rubber dust cover, and spring that holds it in place.

12. Replace cylinder on car, and bleed system. You should now have a working clutch enough to get you around until replacement cylinder arrives.

NOTE : AS STATED ABOVE, THIS IS BY NO MEANS A GUARANTEED FIX, BUT MAY HELP TO KEEP CAR RUNNING WHILE WAITING FOR REPLACEMENT CYLINDER TO ARRIVE.

Last edited by celadon; 15-09-08 at 13:03.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 15-09-08
AO Gold Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Member car:

166 2.5,3.0 S&SL,3.2 TI

Re: How to : TEMPORARILY fix leaking clutch slave cylinder

Excellent idea and solution celadon...i was considering doing something like that for my daughter's bravo but a new complete cylinder is only around £20 including next day delivery.How much is one for the 155 and 3 years is a long time waiting for the new one to arrive that you had to do it again. top tip though.
Can you still get repair kits ?
However they are probably as dear as the complete unit.

Pomeo
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 16-09-08
squidward

stupid question but whats the best way to remove the cylinder?

Would i need to fully drain the system of fluid first from the bleed nipple on the cylinder?
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 16-09-08
AO Gold Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Member car:

166 2.5,3.0 S&SL,3.2 TI

Best way is remove the master cylinder fluid cap cover with a plastic bag or cling film and replace the cap.this creats a wee vacuum so all the fluid wont leak out. remove slave cylinder and place over a container to catch any fluid which comes out before the vacuu form and that should be it. then after reassembly just bleed as normal.
hope this helps coz thats what i do.

pomeo
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 16-09-08
squidward

The master cylinder is going to be near the foot pedal right? Sorry im pretty inexperienced when it comes to clutches
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 16-09-08
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

155 V6 + 2L TS 16v

Originally Posted by Pomeo View Post
Excellent idea and solution celadon...i was considering doing something like that for my daughter's bravo but a new complete cylinder is only around £20 including next day delivery.How much is one for the 155 and 3 years is a long time waiting for the new one to arrive that you had to do it again. top tip though.
Can you still get repair kits ?
However they are probably as dear as the complete unit.

Pomeo
The replacement cyclinder costs about 45-50 pounds.
I wasn't expecting the 'repair' to last as long as it did, and as it went again (as expected), I have ordered a new one.
At the moment I am driving around with the old one repaired while waiting for the new cylinder.
Not sure if you can get repair kits, or how much they are, but to spend even 45 quid on something that will last quite a few years isn't too much.

Originally Posted by cookci View Post
stupid question but whats the best way to remove the cylinder?

Would i need to fully drain the system of fluid first from the bleed nipple on the cylinder?
This was taken out of a 155, not sure if the other models have the same set up, but if there is a rubber hose before the slave cylinder as there is on the 155, I would use a clamp as below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pipeclamp.jpg (95.7 KB, 55 views)
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 17-03-10

County: -

Member car:

Alffa Romeo 164

hi there

appologies for digging up an old thread but my alfa 164 has a leaking slave cylinder.

I took the slave out and found some corosion on the sleeve of the slave, i cleaned this up with some sandpaper however, i could not figure out how to remove the piston to replace the seals. Is there a trick to it or should i simply remove the pin and slowly push the pedal till the piston has come out far enough to pull out?

And once the seals have been replaced, if i gave the sleeve a light sand with soem 800-1000 grit sandpaper would this suffice or would i need to have the cylinder honed out and re-sleeved?

Thanks
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 31-03-10
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

155 V6 + 2L TS 16v

Only just seen this.

If you push the pedal with the cylinder unbolted the piston will pop out, but it will be followed by a lot of fluid..

If you have someone to help see when the piston is just poking out, it would be easier.

Not sure if the slave is the same on the 164.
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 01-04-10

County: -

Member car:

Alffa Romeo 164

hi there,

have already replaced the seals and no more leaking fluid, however, now i have a new problem of the pedal being really hard to push, especially when you first start the car. I cleaned and lightly sanded the bore of the slave when i replaced the seals but i did not lubricate with any brake fluid, should i have done this?

Cheers
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 01-04-10
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Citroen DS3 120VTi DStyle

Originally Posted by nz 164 View Post
I cleaned and lightly sanded the bore of the slave when i replaced the seals but i did not lubricate with any brake fluid, should i have done this?
If you've used an abrasive to clean up the bore you've created a rough surface which will create drag. It may feel OK when you try it off the car, but under pressure the seals expand to seal against the bore.

NEVER use any kind of abrasive on smooth surface unless you're prepared to spend a lot of time polishing out the scratches to restore the original surface finish!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
clutch, cylinder, fix, leaking, slave, temporarily

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2005 Alfa 156 2.4...
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

View Tas1308's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Clicking on a members username within a forum post displays extra options.

New To Site? Need Help?