search feature - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Announcements & Comments A lounge for staff announcements.
If we have ideas, requests or something to tell you, it will go in here.

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

search feature

is it working? ive doen a number of searches for threads that i know exist and had 0 results each time. anyone else having any probs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Milano
Garage
Re: search feature

Any examples Decky?

Have just used and it seems fine...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

The tricks to getting halfway decent search results are to do an advanced search, make sure you check the bit that switches the search from "titles only" to "full text" (that's the real biggie) and then having the results displayed as posts and not threads. (Actually if a mod is considering making a change to the search function, setting the "full text" to standard should be the first change made.)

Narrowing things down as much as possible also helps, so if you know you posted it, search under your member name, or search the correct lounge.
--Toronto
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 06-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

looking for a thread a few days ago on teh heat sheild on a 147. ill try refining my search through the advanced options. cheers.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Sounds daft, but you've spelt shield wrong there, might that be the problem?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

I thought I'd revive this thread rather than starting a new one.

I realize that the AO team is busy, but is there any way somebody could take a look at the search function and figure out if it can be made more friendly to traditional boolean searches and operators?

After having performed a number of searches over the past few weeks, all I can say is that the capability seems to be diminishing compared with how it functioned in the past. Now I don't know if this is because of changes that were made behind the scenes (I doubt this) or if the massive amounts of posts on the forum are just becoming overwhelming (I suspect this is the case).

I've tried various assortments of standard search tricks -- phrases in quotations, inclusion of boolean terms like "and" or "not," search symbols like "+" or "-" and some others -- but the results I've been getting have been next to useless. If I didn't know for a fact that the posts I was looking for actually exist, I would have given up and assumed there were no answers to be found. I can only image what some of the newbies are turning up in their searches.

For a start, it would be helpful if the default search for multiple words was the "and" condition not the "or" condition.

It would also be helpful if we could exclude lounges rather than simply search one lounge at a time. Being able to exclude threads (or perhaps threads over x pages in length) would be a bonus. I've had searches return 15 pages of hits in the "Ignore" thread more than a few times, which isn't helpful as I know the messages I was seeking weren't posted on that thread.

It would also be a nice aid to see a search FAQ listing which style of searches and commands work in this system.

I don't think I'm the only one having issues with the search function. I seem to recall reading a few posts recently where members have said they've had difficulty finding old posts.
--Toronto
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

some of the operators do work as far as I know

If you search for +Toronto +Spider you will find the threads who contain both the words Toronto and Spider. The words Toronto and Spider don't have to be in the same post though.

If you search for +Toronto +Spder you will find no threads at all

If you search for +Twin -Spark you will find threads who do have the word Twin in it but not the word Spark (but it can contain the word Sparks though)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

I'll keep those in mind for the next time I need to do a search. Having to put the + in front of the first term is a new one on me.

Even still it would be nice if there was a "within" function, which would help peg individual posts with "twin" and "spark" rather than just threads with both words.

Is there a way we can stick similar examples on the advanced search page? It might help people out in the future.
--Toronto

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Announcements & Comments

Tags
feature , search