AO Staff response to club changes - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Announcements & Comments A lounge for staff announcements.
If we have ideas, requests or something to tell you, it will go in here.

AO Silver Member

Re: AO Staff response to club changes

i came back to the site after several days calming down after my initial rantings hoping for some statement from ian, and there was one. i read it and initially i was pleased with it, it answered many questions, but i really do have a problem with the hiding of the threads reguarding this dispute(whether they be positive or negative) it helps nobody to sweep things under the carpet IMO. my comments about ians attitude are not personal, i havent called him every name under the sun, slagged him off to all and sundry(if i had i would expect to be banned) all i said, maybe too strongly in hindsight, is that i think his attitude to descenters is wrong. i havent looked at the rest of the site, polls included so i havent seen whats going on in there, i may pop in and have a look.

its no surprise after my post to see the usual names with their flipant comments, well thought out posts diferering in opinion from mine i welcome, but flipant comments are a bit tiresome, especially from the same people all the time.

also thank you to kevin slegg for your usual well thought out balanced comments, whether they be in my favour or not, its a shame more people on here dont put as much thought into their posts as you.

some people have suggested i give this site some time to resolve this situation before leaving, i will, but i wont visit the site again for some time and see in a few months where it has gone, like i said before all enjoyment has dissappeared at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Danthehorse

well, we all can get caught up in the heat, its a shame that when we do realise we have been a little headstrong and we hold out a handshake, that some people throw it back in your face. but thats a minority. I think it has shown how much we all care about the site and the arguing is kinda bringing people together in a way too...... like a family..........

ahhhhhh

vantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danthehorse View Post
well, we all can get caught up in the heat, its a shame that when we do realise we have been a little headstrong and we hold out a handshake, that some people throw it back in your face. but thats a minority. I think it has shown how much we all care about the site and the arguing is kinda bringing people together in a way too...... like a family..........

ahhhhhh
Yes it's a time thing so lets just chill for abit and see what happens

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic View Post
Yes it's a time thing so lets just chill for abit and see what happens
What He Said... otherwise this thread may go the way of the other mud slinging ones !!
AO Member

I was a bit miffed that, upon trying to comment in a thread I had been using before, I was suddenly denied access and held to ransom if I wanted to continue using the site as before....

...then I thought, you tight g!t (I hope this is not too offensive) it's only 15 for the 'almost everything' membership, and I do get some very useful information out of this site and enjoy many of the topics. In addition, if it contributes to the continuing success of AO I am all for it - I can appreciate that with the size the site is growing, the amount and cost of server space could be escalating quite markedly.

I will also say, that with some of the new OTT T&C's I am now a bit paranoid about posting anything incase I offend/swear/don't fully offer a water tight legal argument with documented footage and evidence everytime I JOKINGLY poke a bit of fun or mention Halfrauds or some such (who I also in other posts will recommend where I have had good experience, but don't need evidence of that strangely enough ). This has left me personally in the situation of finding it a little harder to contribute for fear of banning because as others have mentioned, it is not necessarily a totally fair decision due to the people making the decision - although I can certainly live with this and will happily continue to use the site as I appreciate the vast amount of work it must take from the dedicated admin on here

I also feel that with the way the new membership is displayed i.e. Primerio (we're the best) and Medio (mediocre) that any one who doesn't BUY the premierioso is actually inferior and not a proper member of the club in the club (yes, I have inferiority issues - note to self, buy the biggest, reddest, fastest car I can afford to act as an extension to.. ahem)

I hope the site continues to be as open and friendly as it did when I joined. I wouldn't want new members to be put off before they can join - I suppose the new member stats will quickly show this and may be a bit or a rethink would be needed. I trust the owners/admin to take this into account and they have probably thought of it any way.

Keep surfing dudes

A.O. surfing that is
wrinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgrosvenor View Post
This has left me personally in the situation of finding it a little harder to contribute for fear of banning
Just to clarify...this is the same site you used before. Immediate banning is very, very rare and the new infraction (penalty) system gives plenty of warning

wrinx

AO Platinum Member

County: Limburg

Quote:
... This has left me personally in the situation of finding it a little harder to contribute for fear of banning because as others have mentioned, it is not necessarily a totally fair decision due to the people making the decision...
I don't understand this comment...
It is my perception that now as in the past, the moderators of our forum are as they have been very reticent to ban anyone or anything from the forum.
They have been listening as their decisions were challenged, and bar the odd exeption most public comments were constructive once the first surprise receded (I have no knowledge of the personal flak that they may have been getting).

Quote:
... I hope the site continues to be as open and friendly as it did when I joined...
As with so many things: "Zoals de waard is vertrouwt hij zijn gasten" or, for all intents and purposes: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
In other words: we make it beautiful, we keep it so.

*..._______
*./________\
./OO__V__OO\
|=_-_____-_=|

Don't ever try to understand women.
Women understand each other, and they hate each-other.
B'dum tsch

Last edited by Al Faromeo; 16-04-07 at 20:52.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post

its no surprise after my post to see the usual names with their flipant comments,
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!"

Paul

(Without flippancy we are all lost)
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Faromeo View Post
I don't understand this comment...
Just to clarify, from the T&C's, I got the impression that if I mentioned something about anyone that could potentially be perceived by a minority as slanderous/liable (even though most people would understand the way in which it was intended) and didn't have hard proof, then due to the mods fear of come-back for not preventing this (as there are, after all, in a position of some authority over the conduct on the sight), they would issue 2 points here and there, resulting in a ban rather rapidly - obviously depending on exactly what you may or may not get points for.

I was airing this as more of a concern than a statement of what I truly believe would happen. I didn't mean to imply that I thought mods would outright ban for the slightest mister meaner.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
but i really do have a problem with the hiding of the threads reguarding this dispute(whether they be positive or negative) it helps nobody to sweep things under the carpet IMO. my comments about ians attitude are not personal, i havent called him every name under the sun, slagged him off to all and sundry(if i had i would expect to be banned)
Jabberwocky - I too hope that you do decide to stick with AO. However, as others have said I don't think Ian's intention should be seen in a negative light. You have raised your concerns in a considerate and polite manner, whereas regretably others have not. Indeed, I was appalled at some of the personal, vicious attacks made against Ian, which in my eyes were libelous.

If Ian wasn't the site owner he would have been well within his rights to contact the site administrator and insist those posts were deleted. What I think is sometimes forgotten is that Ian has feelings too. If you had spent hours and hours of your own time over 6 years creating and maintaining this site, and putting yourself in thousands of pounds worth of debt so that others can continue to enjoy it, how would you feel if as soon as you introduce a voluntary charge you were accused of being a fraud and a scam artist?

Post that contain offensive material normally are deleted (I should know, some of mine have been deleted for that reason ), so is it really unreasonable for Ian to want to hide similar posts?

Stick around or at least come back in a few months time to see how things are, I'm sure you'll find that the fun has come back - indeed, it never really went away

In every step, I hear your sobbing
Dare I break the shade with one caress
Dare I trespass to lift the veil
To touch the lips so soft and frail

It may be that love comes once and once only, preceded by rehersal, followed by regret.

Know well that however right a man may be they always find the fallen one guilty.

All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Sorry, ignore this post
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaowner View Post
Attention all members of alfaowner.com

We ask that you all continue to be patient and allow us to post on Sunday/Monday what we understand to be the best solution

AO
Monday's nearly over, what happened?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Announcements & Comments

Tags
club , response , staff