Polite notice - Please stop, you know who you are! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Announcements & Comments A lounge for staff announcements.
If we have ideas, requests or something to tell you, it will go in here.

(Post Link) post #1 of 187 Old 15-02-07 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Moaning Polite notice - Please stop, you know who you are!

Please remember that we are an international board, I realise fun is normally at the expense of others, however, making remarks about americans is no more acceptable than making remarks about brown, white, black skinned people. Some people have been offended here so please ensure this is stopped now.

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: Polite notice - Please stop, you know who you are!

Feeling guilty,just in case. My reference to JFK's clanger was thus. He was in West Berlin, could be heard over the wall though, stood with Herr Willie Brandt I think, and others, he had a translation sheet,got one word misplaced,'ein'. When he said Ich bin ein Berliner. Meaning I am a Berliner. Unfortunately it should have been, Ich bin Berliner. Apparently the ein Berliner, just that little ein, refers to a confection, or Wurst. They cheered and clapped on both sides of the wall because they loved JFK and allowed him this little slip. Apologies to all for not explaining this earlier. Expect most of you knew this? year was about '61/'62 not quite sure. Someone know for sure? I was there.zf
wrinx

No, some recent comments have been a lot less subtle than that.

wrinx

Global Mod Team

County: Milano
Garage

Thanks Ian, appreciate you highlighting the issue.

Cheers,
-BF
AO Platinum Member

Thanks Wrinx, for putting my my mind at rest, as sometimes I do get carried away. Cheers.
AO Platinum Member

Sorry Zulu - so what did JFK actually end up saying?
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

You need to watch some Eddie Izzard Gary!
JFK said 'Ich bein ein Berliner'.
But, to state where they come from a German would say 'Ich bein Berliner' - I am Berliner, not I am A Berliner.
Unfortunately, a berliner is a type of donut. So what JFK said was 'I am a donut'. A bit like going to Frankfurt and shouting 'I am a sausage'
Luckily, public speaking is 70% how you look, 20% how you sound, and only 10% what you say, so he got a massive cheer anyway.

ZF: I think that's a funny story, and I don't see any way it can be construed as anti-American.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

I Nomes & Gibbo

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
AO Platinum Member

Cheers Bazza
Unregistered

Surley as a nation with the political stance it has, coupled with the fact it sees itself as the world police....the lies about the war, the treatment of prisoners, the international borders its violated, Its acts contrary to the geneva convention.

They are there to be critised and shamed.....

If Americans feel strongly, they should look at their goverments actions and how it affects the world, especially its safety to other nations.....and change it!!!

Would we have had July bombings in London if it was not for the War....yes are govement is just as guilty....but we dont pull our punches about our lot...do we...?

We constantly take the mike out of our own society...like Chavs..BMW...,politicians....minor celebs....etc...

Can't americans grow a thick skin?

Chris (probably offended someone)
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

I would say that there is a difference between expressing an opinion about their governments foreign policy, and deciding that it means all Americans are (insert generalising insult here).

Last edited by bazza; 16-02-07 at 16:06.
AO Platinum Member

Yea, Sorry Gary, his beautifully presented, but slightly boobed statement, referred to being a doughnut, or sausage, two versions I was told anyway. It appears they had a good laugh about it later in the White House, or so it was fabled. Cripes, hope I have this correct, or I'm likely to be incarserated, or worse!! Shut up Zulu! or-- get your facts right.
AO Platinum Member

Right, we ought to meet in the 'Kranzler' 'orf the Kufurstendam' to sort this out, book in at the Berlin Hilton?
Global Mod Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
I would say that there is a difference between expressing an opinion about their governments foreign policy, and deciding that it means all Americans are (insult generalising insult here).
Thank you for saying what I had in mind
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.5

Hmm this is a very tricky issue. I can agree that no one deserves to be discriminated against/ridiculed due to racial stereotypes, yet I agree wholeheartedly with the following post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
Surley as a nation with the political stance it has, coupled with the fact it sees itself as the world police....the lies about the war, the treatment of prisoners, the international borders its violated, Its acts contrary to the geneva convention.

They are there to be critised and shamed.....

If Americans feel strongly, they should look at their goverments actions and how it affects the world, especially its safety to other nations.....and change it!!!

Would we have had July bombings in London if it was not for the War....yes are govement is just as guilty....but we dont pull our punches about our lot...do we...?

We constantly take the mike out of our own society...like Chavs..BMW...,politicians....minor celebs....etc...

Can't americans grow a thick skin?

Chris (probably offended someone)
Quote:
I would say that there is a difference between expressing an opinion about their governments foreign policy, and deciding that it means all Americans are (insult generalising insult here).
Also I see this point bazza, but the government is voted for by the nation. You can't say for any country that the govt. are idiots, but the people who voted them in are all geniuses (genii?). I'm sure I've mentioned a few times on here that us in the uk are spineless for not taking action like the french.

I think there is a very fine line between making critical statements about facts, and abuse, and I'm glad I'm not a mod who has to sit down and determine which is on which side.

Part of me thinks that political discussion should be banned on here, as politics is very rarely relevant to fixing our alfas faults. However, part of me thinks we all have a responsibility to at least inform everyone of truths governments try to hide. Why am I thinking of cans and worms?
AO Platinum Member

After a few Doppelkorn Schnapps, and a few German biers, we would all be the best of friends, never mind the politics, see how Ex Squaddies think? Or don't, depending on your point of view!
Global Mod Team

Garage

The point chaps is on the board we don't allow any form of abuse.

So, for example, to say American are id1ots because their government chose to invade Iraq is a form of abuse towards our US members.

And that will not be tolerated.

Period.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
So, for example, to say American are id1ots because their government chose to invade Iraq...will not be tolerated.
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

But to say 1 American is an idiot because he is president of a country that espouses liberty, freedom and the opportunity to better oneself what ever ones background but then promptly allows his apparatus of state to indulge in:
1) running 'black' prisons in countries desperate for his country's aid
2) torture
3) illegal rendition flights
4) 'police state' tactics under the guise of the Patriotism Act
5) extradition of alleged white collar crime using 1 sided regulation implemented to combat terrorism

Is presumably ok?

Last edited by Monty; 16-02-07 at 21:32.
Unregistered

I have to laugh because, the other side of my family are American albeit via Barbados....

Most live in the New York Area.....some came over when I was In Barbados to visit my Gran.....hot topic of discussion Iraq, where they agreed they were idiots....

But then again they seemed to have a sense of humour!!!

As far as I can see this is all PC again, whether it be race,colour or origin...we do have to tread lightly....so as not to affend...but do we really want to go this far....

Surely American politics, TV,films and celebreties, .....states the obvious!!

Chris
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage

Quote:
So what JFK said was 'I am a donut'. A bit like going to Frankfurt and shouting 'I am a sausage'
Now if George Dubbya said that we'd all cheer in agreement ...
Global Mod Team

Garage

It's not about being PC Chris, it's about some AO members who've have rightly complained about the American bashing in the forum.

Criticism is one thing, abuse is different.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

I think everyone should keep in mind, when commenting on what 'American's' are doing, is that in the first election that brought the current administration to power at least half and most likely more than half of the country did not vote for them. It is also arguble that this happened again in the most recent elections. I think the mid-term elections that most recently took much power from the Repubs was very indicitive of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
But to say 1 American is an idiot because he is president of a country that espouses liberty, freedom and the opportunity to better oneself what ever ones background but then promptly allows his apparatus of state to indulge in:
1) running 'black' prisons in countries desperate for his country's aid
2) torture
3) illegal rendition flights
4) 'police state' tactics under the guise of the Patriotism Act
5) extradition of alleged white collar crime using 1 sided regulation implemented to combat terrorism

Is presumably ok?
I don't think Bush has all his marbles personally and none of the above is not Ok to me. It's also not OK to me that currently in the UK the police are allowed to detain someone without being charged as they are doing under the new post 9/11 laws to combat terrorism. There has to be a better way.

Just my 2 for today.
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneman147 View Post
I think everyone should keep in mind, when commenting on what 'American's' are doing, is that in the first election that brought the current administration to power at least half and most likely more than half of the country did not vote for them. It is also arguble that this happened again in the most recent elections. I think the mid-term elections that most recently took much power from the Repubs was very indicitive of this.

I don't think Bush has all his marbles personally and none of the above is not Ok to me. It's also not OK to me that currently in the UK the police are allowed to detain someone without being charged as they are doing under the new post 9/11 laws to combat terrorism. There has to be a better way.

Just my 2 for today.
I think you misunderstood my post. I was suggesting that rather than calling all American's idiots it would be preumably be ok to call Bush an idiot for the reasons I listed.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I think you misunderstood my post. I was suggesting that rather than calling all American's idiots it would be preumably be ok to call Bush an idiot for the reasons I listed.
Naw, just didn't phrase my answer correctly!! Meant "Bush doesn't have all his marbles' as in agree with you and meant to convey just what you say above but didn't get there.
Unregistered

I guess if people are being individully abused for being American then that is out of order BF.

But......due to my origin and knowledge of American and American people, admittedly I have to generalise...not knowing everyone in America....My times in the states have been both pleasurable and cr@p.....the cr@p being due to the American Attitudes of both the Black and White communities...

Its in the natural Psyche for Americans too believe that they are better than everybody else....

So I would say this If you can't take it, dont give it......

( I am of course unaware of personal abuse that may be directed at Americans....so my argument is for general Abuse...if that makes sense!! )

Chris

Chris

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Announcements & Comments

Tags
notice , polite , stop