Polite notice - Please stop, you know who you are! - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Announcements & Comments A lounge for staff announcements.
If we have ideas, requests or something to tell you, it will go in here.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Re: Polite notice - Please stop, you know who you are!

I've only ever met one Cockney. He was a complete d1ck, so, question.... Are all Londoners d1cks, or just the ones from the east end? Or, do they have to be born within the sound of Beau(?) Bells? Or those born within sight of the Elephant & Castle? Or, Is it that this guy was just a d1ck in his own right?

I think we have to remember we 'British' live on islands made up of 4 different countries. We have a reputation for not mixing well amongst ourselves and trying to bully anyone else who's daft enough to let us in. We used to subjugate most of the eastern world (until they'd had enough of us and kicked us out!) and a fair amount of the western. We're arrogant enough to think we're the world's greatest at most sports, even though we're actually cr@p, and most of our own continent hate the sight of us.

The moral of this story......

People in glass houses...

America didn't bully the UN, then go in to Iraq on their own!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -

I've known a few fish in my time I can tell you and most were OK. Obviously they knew nothing about football and had a prediliction for eels and pies with hot snot all over them, but it didn't make them bad people.

You know Frank you should try to be happier in your own skin. We fish are'nt all that bad and we've learnt a lot of lessons along the way, and that continent you mention wouldn't exist if it wasn't for fish like us. But if you don't like the tank you can always go and live in the sink ?

Regards

Der Teufel
Nate per vincere
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Bow Bells, as in the Nursery Rhyme, 'Oranges and Lemons'- Bow, EastHam, West Ham, Poplar, Upton Park, The Greenjackets, City of London Regiment. Just for your information.:

Last edited by zulu ferret; 11-05-07 at 19:41.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Can we lay off the Canadians ? they've got enough problems of their own as No 667, neighbour of the beast, up to their arses in snow, and co-habiting with the French.

Ta

Sorry did I say French I meant fish
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Sorry - just to clarify do the French Fish count as human???
Danthehorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Slegg View Post
Sorry - just to clarify do the French Fish count as human???
love it................

AO Member

Member car:

GT

ZF said"Bow Bells, as in the Nursery Rhyme, 'Oranges and Lemons'- Bow, EastHam, West Ham, Poplar, Upton Park, The Greenjackets, City of London Regiment. Just for your information"

Just to point out a mistake most people make, to be a true cockney, you must be born within the sound of Bow Bells, the Bow Bells in question are the bells of St Mary le Bow in Cheapside, City of London,
nowhere near Bow in East London.

Mooney, nitpicker
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
County: Memphis
Garage

Member car:

A galleon

Boring Bloody Cockneys
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

A galleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast frank View Post
I've only ever met one Cockney. He was a complete d1ck, so, question.... Are all Londoners d1cks?

I think we have to remember we 'British' live on islands made up of 4 different countries.

We're arrogant enough to think we're the world's greatest at most sports, even though we're actually cr@p, and most of our own continent hate the sight of us.
bit polemical here

All londoners are complete dicks apart from the ones who are not

There is no such thing as British - what you thought it was just changed (always been like that from top to bottom) - the only important thing to remember is the more money you have the more British you get.

I think most of us know when we are crap. The papers spread the arrogance bit, and when we have a beer before a match some get over excited - but it's not generic, systemic arrogance.
AO Platinum Member

Das why me an' Gibbos' proud to be Lutonians,up the Hatters, Bedfordshire Clangers, Eh,boys? Who cares really anyway?

Last edited by zulu ferret; 12-05-07 at 05:04. Reason: ?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

A galleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
Das why me an' Gibbos' proud to be Lutonions,up the Hatters, Bedfordshire Clangers, Eh,boys? Who cares really anyway?
once drove to Leigton Buzzard, got lost.........saw most of Bedfordshire....weird
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Time out. Or oot if you are Canadian. All our ancient ancestors are African. That's where Homo Sapiens (that's you that is) originated. If you came from somewhere else, then welcome to our planet.
AO Platinum Member

Not a particular fan of Bedfordshire myself actually,in spite of having traced ancestors back to the early 1600's, who lived in Wilshampstead.
Luton had character, even in the times when 'I -were- a - lad', working in a hat factory as a 'pullboy'. It's lost it now though, for pretty obvious reasons. If ever you happen to have the misfortune to visit the place, you'll see why.:

Last edited by zulu ferret; 12-05-07 at 05:36.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
Would we have had July bombings in London if it was not for the War..

Yes Chris I agree to an extent.

There's things I like and dislike about America and Americans but if they hadn't helped out 60 years ago we would probably be discussing this thread in German.

Last edited by selespeed; 17-05-07 at 14:32. Reason: fixed the quote tag
VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Well, in the interests of irony, I'd say all English people are loutish, drunk and violent. The Welsh all sh@g sheep, the irish are thick and, well, we're all just mean drunks up here. The French are smelly, the germans have no sense of humour whatsoever, the swiss are automatons, the arabs are uncivilised, the italians are thieving sods, the aussies can't wait to leave home and visit europe, the kiwis also sh@g sheep, the dutch are potheads, the canadians are.....well I don't know what the canadians are, the belgians are bland, the chinese all look the same, all russians are corrupt................and so it goes on.

So, where do you fit in?
...I think that's all a bit rich coming from a Scot, Fraser... GORBALS to you, Sir!

VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Teufel View Post
Can we lay off the Canadians ? they've got enough problems of their own as No 667, neighbour of the beast, up to their arses in snow, and co-habiting with the French.

Ta

Sorry did I say French I meant fish

VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm8123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
Would we have had July bombings in London if it was not for the War..

Yes Chris I agree to an extent.

There's things I like and dislike about America and Americans but if they hadn't helped out 60 years ago we would probably be discussing this thread in German.
I think there's every likelihood that the US would be a suburb of 'Axia' by now, if the Germans and Japanese had won the War. That's why they joined in when they did (and quite right too, although earlier would have been a bit better for us).
I don't purport to know quite enough about the US but as a Brit (and member of the World) I never know quite how to take the US or whether to be relieved they are our ally, or downright scared. I mean, you look at WWII. I get the impression that the US govt wanted to join earlier, but their public didn't have the stomach for it. They gave a load of aid to the Germans and Japanese afterwards so that they could be in their sphere of influence, yet left us with hideous debts which crippled us for decades. They left us high and dry over Suez too (our fault admittedly) and we were given virtually no tangible help when our Sovereign waters were invaded by Argentina. Who knows what levers were pulled over Iraq, but it does seem that Blair was leaned on very heavily by the US and in the face of public opposition to invasion, we were misled by our govt. on a rising scale until opinion started to sway. Time and time again, it seems to be all take and no give. But if we complain, there is a tacit threat from our 'friends' the Americans.
There are some very powerful influences at work in the US which seem to ensure a vice-like grip on their seemingly, at times, stupid outlook on the World. Big business, big TV/News Networks, the Jewish Lobby, the great un-passported, gun-toting swathes of Bible-bashers in the enormous interior, who through little fault of their own, know jack-sh*t about what goes on in the World. In recent times, all of these played their part in Iraq.
There are millions of intelligent, enlightened, kind, thoughtful people in the US, but they are often drowned out by some or all of the above.

Last edited by selespeed; 17-05-07 at 14:34. Reason: fixed the quote tag

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Teufel View Post
You know Frank you should try to be happier in your own skin. We fish are'nt all that bad and we've learnt a lot of lessons along the way, and that continent you mention wouldn't exist if it wasn't for fish like us. But if you don't like the tank you can always go and live in the sink ?
I was trying to lighten this thread up a bit. My whole point was that few people outside London know where cockneys actually come from (geographically), but we still have (and here I agree with Steve), media generated stereotypical images of them. As we do of Americans etc, etc. It's all BS.
Nowt wrong with my skin, head maybe, but not skin!
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post

There are some very powerful influences at work in the US which seem to ensure a vice-like grip on their seemingly, at times, stupid outlook on the World. Big business, big TV/News Networks, the Jewish Lobby, the great un-passported, gun-toting swathes of Bible-bashers in the enormous interior, who through little fault of their own, know jack-sh*t about what goes on in the World. In recent times, all of these played their part in Iraq.
There are millions of intelligent, enlightened, kind, thoughtful people in the US, but they are often drowned out by some or all of the above.
Now that is what Artboy SHOULD have said.

Last edited by bazza; 12-05-07 at 16:24.
alfafamily

What an excellent post VO2Max.(no.142)
A shame others in the thread couldn't have written with the same respect but still put over a point of view.

AF

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
I think there's every likelihood that the US would be a suburb of 'Axia' by now, if the Germans and Japanese had won the War. That's why they joined in when they did (and quite right too, although earlier would have been a bit better for us).
I don't purport to know quite enough about the US but as a Brit (and member of the World) I never know quite how to take the US or whether to be relieved they are our ally, or downright scared. I mean, you look at WWII. I get the impression that the US govt wanted to join earlier, but their public didn't have the stomach for it. They gave a load of aid to the Germans and Japanese afterwards so that they could be in their sphere of influence, yet left us with hideous debts which crippled us for decades. They left us high and dry over Suez too (our fault admittedly) and we were given virtually no tangible help when our Sovereign waters were invaded by Argentina. Who knows what levers were pulled over Iraq, but it does seem that Blair was leaned on very heavily by the US and in the face of public opposition to invasion, we were misled by our govt. on a rising scale until opinion started to sway. Time and time again, it seems to be all take and no give. But if we complain, there is a tacit threat from our 'friends' the Americans.
Just to go slightly off-topic but one of my sister in-laws emigrted to the USA before going on to Canada - apparently her kids were told at school that WWII started in 1941

Last edited by selespeed; 17-05-07 at 14:36. Reason: fixed the quote tag
AO Member

Member car:

GT

Quote:
Just to go slightly off-topic but one of my sister in-laws emigrted to the USA before going on to Canada - apparently her kids were told at school that WWII started in 1941
Well of course for America it did!!

Mooney, historian

Last edited by selespeed; 17-05-07 at 14:28. Reason: fixed the quote tag
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast frank View Post
I was trying to lighten this thread up a bit. My whole point was that few people outside London know where cockneys actually come from (geographically), but we still have (and here I agree with Steve), media generated stereotypical images of them. As we do of Americans etc, etc. It's all BS.
Gor blimey , strike a light guvvner - aint that the truth , strewth me old **** sparra.

Lumme - I'm a lundenner doncha know - aint there na dahlin' - out in the old hays (hayricks - sticks).

True - born there mate - nah - missed the 'ol smells (smells - bells = Bow) on account of how I was like a bit lifted like (lifted=shifted=far [away]).

Dick Van D has a lot to answer for.

Paul.
I was born in South London, suburbs, worked at the effluent - Sorry Elephant for many years. My daughter lived in Deptford - rough - but a great community once they recognised you.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Quote:
Actually I can understand that.

In the UK (as I am sure in every other culture) history is taught entirely from a "National" point of view. We see things, understandably, as important from the dates that affected us - in the case of WW2 for the UK - 1939.

To an average (like you and me) American citizen the war in Europe in 1939 was interesting but remote from them. America declared war later - so that is when it began.

Do we (UK) consider the Spanish Civil War which started in 1936 and enabled Germany to practice it's techniques and expand it's armaments as the start of WW2? - No.

Paul.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

Last edited by selespeed; 17-05-07 at 14:29. Reason: fixed the quote tag
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Good point well made PaulR!!

Hey - any don't 'dis the Dick Van!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Announcements & Comments

Tags
notice , polite , stop