Event Posting - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Announcements & Comments A lounge for staff announcements.
If we have ideas, requests or something to tell you, it will go in here.

Closed Thread

(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 13-08-13 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

County: Dumfries and Galloway
Garage
Well Happy Event Posting

We have a very hard working team of volunteer Regional Reps at AO. Part of their remit is to organise and promote events within their regions. However we also realise that there are forum members who also organise meets and events and whilst we want to encourage this we need to do so with a respectful nod to the Regional Reps!

As such, the following announcement has been placed in each regional lounge:

Quote:
Alfaowner.com welcomes the advertising of events which will be of interest to forum members. Should you wish to publicise an event in your regional lounge please understand that it will need to be approved by a member of the AO Regional Rep Team.

RSVPs will only be attached to events being attended in an official capacity by members of AO, i.e. those with attendance organised in advance by the Regional Reps.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Temp Un-Registered

County: Essex

Member car:

GTA & Scooby

Question PG: Does this mean we can sort out events without needing a mod to 'authorise' but a mod or an area rep needs to be in attendance?
(Post Link) post #3 of 30 Old 13-08-13 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Garage
It means that if you post an event, a Rep will have to authorise it - as happens now anyway.

Your event will be in the normal part of the lounge (i.e. not stuck to the top of the forum) and potential attendees won't have the ability to RSVP attendance UNLESS the Rep thinks that it would be a good event for formal AO attendance (i.e. that organised by the Rep in conjunction with the event organiser) - in which case the event status can be elevated, RSVP attached and the event stuck.

Basically it's a way of getting to know about more events in your area and potentially have AO attendance en masse

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
The-Cutest-of-the-BORED No 5 The BORED Collective

147 1.6 Turismo 916 Spider P1 Lusso & Giulietta Lusso 1.6 JTDM

Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

GTA & Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintergirl View Post
It means that if you post an event, a Rep will have to authorise it - as happens now anyway.

Your event will be in the normal part of the lounge (i.e. not stuck to the top of the forum) and potential attendees won't have the ability to RSVP attendance UNLESS the Rep thinks that it would be a good event for formal AO attendance (i.e. that organised by the Rep in conjunction with the event organiser) - in which case the event status can be elevated, RSVP attached and the event stuck.

Basically it's a way of getting to know about more events in your area and potentially have AO attendance en masse
This happens anyway, all the events I post up is stuck to the top so people can RSVP, just a shame no one wants to get up early to meet up etc.
(Post Link) post #5 of 30 Old 13-08-13 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Garage
Have you thought of changing your name?
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

GTA & Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintergirl View Post
Have you thought of changing your name?
Again? I'm running out of names I like
Club Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

147 Q2 Sport

What happens if the Reps don't think its a good event? Is there a right of appeal? Or is this another power trip for staff members?
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
It will stay open in the regional lounge but without the option to RSVP to the event

I'll choose not to take offence at the power trip quip this once
Unregistered

County: -
Sounds good

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
Club Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

147 Q2 Sport

Did'nt mean you Gaz was a indirect very generalized comment
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banf View Post
What happens if the Reps don't think its a good event? Is there a right of appeal? Or is this another power trip for staff members?
The event will be posted regardless of the opinion of the Rep, however as was made clear in the announcement if the event is given the backing of the Rep Team in that region it will be given an RSVP and upgraded to a sticky.

We're volunteers and have the right to spend our time promoting the events we believe ourselves and our region members will get the most enjoyment out of.
crazycarb

I have never come across a Public forum on any subject before that has "regional reps". Bizzaar to say the least, but hey ho, whatever floats your boat. Moderators ,yes, but reps?
I would imagine it's easy to organise events via the PM system rather than involve "reps".??

Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Have you ever been on a forum before that had regional meetings, and needed people to organise them?

Because it you haven't, then that's why.

And if you have, then whatever they were called there, they were regional reps.

Not all that bizarre after all then, is it?
crazycarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Have you ever been on a forum before that had regional meetings, and needed people to organise them?

Because it you haven't, then that's why.

And if you have, then whatever they were called there, they were regional reps.

Not all that bizarre after all then, is it?
No, I haven't. A forum to me, is a forum and not a club. I am a member of a local club, pay a subscription and we meet up and go to various events & shows etc.
Surely the AROC is a club that would poss. have reps, but a forum? If folk want to get together who regularly chat on a forum they can surely do this without the blessings/authorising of a rep, or even the neccesity of such?

Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

GTA & Scooby

This is all very interesting, but I think that not having the events as stickies at the top of the area sections are just going to mean it'll be hard to keep track of who's coming, making people aware of the meet and you can't ask to be reminded about the meet closer to date.

Why did it have to change?

So while people agree to disagree, I'll be sitting here with my popcorn

Last edited by BeautifulBusso; 20-04-14 at 09:24.
Gaz
Regional Support North

It changed because we had people all over the place posting events willy nilly. Someones neighbours cat had a **** next to a Teledial, lets have a meet and get some photos!

It sort of renders the point of AO events and AO Reps a bit useless if that was allowed to carry on. As i said, if an event is deemed popular or interesting enough then the rep team can upgrade the new event from a post to a stickied RSVP
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

GTA & Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
It changed because we had people all over the place posting events willy nilly. Someones neighbours cat had a **** next to a Teledial, lets have a meet and get some photos!

It sort of renders the point of AO events and AO Reps a bit useless if that was allowed to carry on. As i said, if an event is deemed popular or interesting enough then the rep team can upgrade the new event from a post to a stickied RSVP
Ah okay, I generally thought that is what happened anyway Gaz
Gaz
Regional Support North

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarb View Post
I have never come across a Public forum on any subject before that has "regional reps". Bizzaar to say the least, but hey ho, whatever floats your boat. Moderators ,yes, but reps?
I would imagine it's easy to organise events via the PM system rather than involve "reps".??
Quote:
No, I haven't. A forum to me, is a forum and not a club. I am a member of a local club, pay a subscription and we meet up and go to various events & shows etc.
Surely the AROC is a club that would poss. have reps, but a forum? If folk want to get together who regularly chat on a forum they can surely do this without the blessings/authorising of a rep, or even the neccesity of such?
Some view AO as a forum, some view it as a club. Depends which camp you are in

The point of Reps is both to organise the regional events and to keep each regional lounge tidy. It would be pretty chaotic in the regionals without us. Everyones different event threads would be forever bumped in order to stay at the top and generate interest. It would also be a massive power struggle if everyone could moderate their own threads.
Gaz
Regional Support North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBusso View Post
Ah okay, I generally thought that is what happened anyway Gaz
It does to an extent. We only had two options before when non-reps submitted event threads for approval, validate or ignore. Validate and it takes over, ignore and the event is only submitted again, and again until it is validated

Now we can hopefully validate ALL events, allowing others to attend a meet that may be closer to them than an official AO organised and promoted one. The AO ones will take priority of course
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

GTA & Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
It does to an extent. We only had two options before when non-reps submitted event threads for approval, validate or ignore. Validate and it takes over, ignore and the event is only submitted again, and again until it is validated

Now we can hopefully validate ALL events, allowing others to attend a meet that may be closer to them than an official AO organised and promoted one. The AO ones will take priority of course
Makes all the sense if you put it that way, makes things a bit more simple and the like, gives people a choice in what they wanna do etc
(Post Link) post #21 of 30 Old 14-08-13 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Garage
Things aren't really going to change very much. This is mostly happening in most regions. All we are doing to making it a universal happening.

Alfaowner.com is indeed a unique operation, as CrazyCarb alluded to; we are a forum that likes to meet up off forum, not just in the UK but all over the world! Take a look in the regional lounges and see how many meets are being organised by Reps and by ordinary members. It's an amazing achievement to have that level of club feeling for what is essentially a website! That's why it is so important to so many of us and why we feel the need to nurture it
(Post Link) post #22 of 30 Old 14-08-13 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banf View Post
How harsh Another power trip? If you have had a problem with anything like this, please do contact us - we need to hear of anything that isn't how it should be. Use the report button or the contact us link

I don't think that many events are not approved (I don't know of any at the moment) and if they weren't there should be a very good reason for that. As Gaz and Happy Man said, any that aren't organised by the Rep or aren't being attended by AO as an AO attended event will still be in the lounge for everyone to see, but just won't be stickied to the top. Generally this happens anyway, but we are just tidying up a bit and ensuring consistency across the regions.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Quote:
Right - well the people who organise those meetings? They're reps. Just like our reps. That's what a rep is.

If it really is blowing your mind that something called a 'forum' has meetings, when your world view states that only clubs are allowed to have meetings, then feel free to call AO a club, if only to stop yourself getting a headache.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
This would be fine if they all had active reps.

For example, who is the rep for South Central meant to be these days? Marko has gone, AFAIK.
crazycarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Right - well the people who organise those meetings? They're reps. Just like our reps. That's what a rep is.

If it really is blowing your mind that something called a 'forum' has meetings, when your world view states that only clubs are allowed to have meetings, then feel free to call AO a club, if only to stop yourself getting a headache.

Pass the neurofen please.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Announcements & Comments

Tags
event , posting