Buying cars from AO - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Announcements & Comments A lounge for staff announcements.
If we have ideas, requests or something to tell you, it will go in here.

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 22-12-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

Buying cars from AO

I have recently bought a car from a fellow member and I am sorry to say that it is not quite what it seems!!!!

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=30108

The link above advertises the car as an immaculate example of a late 155 2.0 super. Can I draw your attention to the 'no dings or dents' expressing the car is washed and polished every week. Upon washing the car this morning I find that the nearside door does not have a colour match, offside bumper has hit a bollard or something similiar and scratched paintwork, nearside skirt has a groove on the top adjoing the door seal. The back bumper has faded paintwork all round.
As i was driving back from Reading to Newcastle I also noticed that the engine will not idle below 2500 revs and when you come to a standstill it corrects itself and revs between 1600-1800.This causes the engine to stutter and you need to change down at 3000. This could just be the lambda sensor. There was no tax on the car, or should I say the tax on the car was from a MERC!!!! There are four new p6000 on the car but they have not been balanced and there is a slight tracking problem, minor problem however on a long journey very uncomfortable.
To top it off the guy ripped out the 'silver sony cd/mp3' so I had to sing showtunes all the way home.

On the plus side the car interior is unmarked and extremely comfy. The car opens up and goes like a train and has one of the best engine notes I have heard from a non v6. I did get picked up from London Heathrow and driven to the car, the person who picked me up actually worked for the garage trying to sell the car and I never actually met the elusive Mr Jackson. I suspect this was a trade ad disguised as a private seller and on the whole I feel duped and taken for a mug.

The problems I have encountered should have been made aware to me on buying the car as I consider this site to be of reputable, honest people. The car certainly was not as perfect as described.

I have since called the person and as such I have had no reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Re: Buying cars from AO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_delux
The problems I have encountered should have been made aware to me on buying the car as I consider this site to be of reputable, honest people. The car certainly was not as perfect as described.
Pepe, I'm sorry that you have found you're new ride not as you expected. But... I think there's a terrible mistake here.

AO, doesn't sell cars. I know that we can considere the members of this site to be the ones who actually make the AO community but at the last instance, AO can't take the blames for any business done between members. They are the only resposibles for anythink that goes out of this "virtual doors".

I hope you sort the problems you have with the person who sold you the Alfa, and I'm sure you will. Besides... it's a pitty that you didn't saw that before you buy it.

Hugo Sá
(2011) Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.6JTDm, Pack Sport 17", Pack Comfort
(2009) Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTDm 16V QV, 170hp+360nm, Bilstein B4+TI springs, ConnectNav G2, Autodelta Air filter, Brembo Disks, Satin Mirror Caps
(2002/2009) Alfa Romeo 147, 1.6TS QV, Autodelta Remap, Autodelta Air filter, Eibach Pro System Kit

Social and Automotive Sports Photography
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Yeah, I have to echo Hugo.
I'm very sorry that this has happened to you, but all AO does is have a lounge on the forum which allows members to advertise anything they're trying to sell.
It's only an advert, nothing to do with AO themselves, in the same way that if you bought a duffer out of Autotrader magazine, you wouldn't try to blame the mag.
It's a bit late to say now, but you should never agree to buy something that you haven't even seen yourself, and all the problems you've described, you should have found long before handing over the mullah.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

I Nomes & Gibbo

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

As the lads have said, that was a private trade with the previous owner.
But, you are covered by limited rights.

May I provide the following link to the CAB info site.
You may find this usefull.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...d_vehicles.htm
(Post Link) post #5 of 17 Old 22-12-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

Guys I agree......
I do not affiliate this forum in anyway to dishonest goods and agree that I should have spotted a rabbit off.

Maybe I am too trusting and I thought common courtesy was still prevalant in people.

A valuable lesson!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

Let me copy the relevent section.
This is UK law only unless otherwise stated. The CAB also operate in Ireland, but it would be worthwhile checking the information is similar with them too...

Quote:
The vehicle was bought from a private seller

You have very few legal rights if you have bought the vehicle from a private seller rather than a dealer. The condition under consumer law that the vehicle must be of satisfactory quality does not apply. The only conditions which do apply to private sales are that the vehicle is correctly described, is roadworthy and that the seller has good title (this means that they are the legal owner of the vehicle).

the vehicle was not as described, see below; or
there was a breach of a specific term of the contract, see below; or
the seller was a dealer posing as a private seller, see below; or
the seller did not have good title to the vehicle, or
the vehicle was un-roadworthy.

If you can show that the vehicle did not meet its description the seller will be liable under consumer law, even if the seller believed the description to be true. It will strengthen your claim if you have written proof of the false statement, for example, an advertisement. Verbal false statements are harder to prove, unless someone else was present who can act as a witness.

If the seller makes a specific statement which proves to be false, for example, if they said that the vehicle had a new clutch or one owner from new, you will have grounds for complaint. However, if the seller described the vehicle as immaculate it will be more difficult to complain as the vehicle’s age, make and mileage, and the price paid have to be taken into account. If the seller did not make any statements about the vehicle, you will not be able to claim against the seller.

If the seller fails to do something they specifically agreed to, for example, that certain faults would be fixed or that the vehicle would have an MOT, they will have breached the contract.

If you want to take action against the seller, you will need proof that the seller made a false statement about the vehicle and that the vehicle did not comply with its description at the time of sale. If you have delayed for more than a few weeks or have used the vehicle a lot, this may be almost impossible to prove. An independent report may be able to establish the condition of the vehicle at the time it was sold, but can be expensive (see under heading Establishing the condition of the vehicle when it was sold ).

You should complain in writing to the seller and ask for a refund of the money paid for the vehicle or for the cost of the necessary repairs. If this does not succeed, you could sue the seller.

If you are considering suing the seller you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB .

The seller was a dealer posing as private seller

Dealers sometimes pretend to be private sellers, by using the small ads and a private address and telephone number. It is a criminal offence to do this. If you suspect that the person who sold the vehicle was a dealer posing as a private seller, you should contact the local trading standards office who will investigate. If the seller was a dealer it does not invalidate the purchase, but it does mean that you have the same protection under the law as if the vehicle were bought from a dealer in the normal way, and may be able to bring a claim if there are problems with the vehicle.
(Post Link) post #7 of 17 Old 22-12-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

I have since spoken to Paul and explained my concerns. The engine stutter has been looked at previously and he thought it was sorted. We have come to an agreement that each pay half of the repair.

The slight imperfections I can live with and he has offered me a radio(Which I declined)

This deal was genuine and I am happy.
AO Member

Member car:

155 2.0TS 16V

Can I say........One persons perception of immaculate condition may not be the same as another persons.

At the end of the day you could have walked away from the sale, but as you said you can down from Newcastle based on the wording in the advert.
When I bought me car from an AO member, I travelled from London to Birmingham and would not have wanted to return home without buying the car, I trusted the guys (Beany155) description.

As they say buyer beware.

I would hope that we in this community give an honest description of our cars when and if we come to sell them.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_delux
I have since spoken to Paul and explained my concerns. The engine stutter has been looked at previously and he thought it was sorted. We have come to an agreement that each pay half of the repair.

The slight imperfections I can live with and he has offered me a radio(Which I declined)

This deal was genuine and I am happy.
Glad you've got it all sorted out amicably.
When something turns out to not be quite how you expected, it's easy to see the others actions as somewhat nefarious - I've certainly done the same myself.
Founder of AO

County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

I may look at having a minimum post count before you can add an advert for our site, which may cut out the majority of the "Trade For Sale Ads" however, its not the ultimate solution.

Sorry you had these issues, you must consider that most 2nd hand cars will dissapoint in some way or another, because most new ones do too!

NY Regards to you

AO
AO Member

Sounds like a good idea.. a minimum of 10 post prior to placing an ad?
AO Platinum Member

County: -

10 is too easy to get.... 100 minimum says I
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Hi Pepe,

If it helps soften the blow I will send you the genuine Alfa sounds system from my V6. I`ve never used it because it is a radio/cassette but it does have CD changer capabilities and the mobile phone cut-out etc. I`ve even got the code and the manual. Of course it fits the dash hole perfectly with its slight curve on the upper edge.

I`ve come to realise that I will never use it so its your for the postage - say £5? To restore your faith in some people, you can send me the money after you have recieved it.

My faith in other people isn`t that strong so if Pepe doesn`t want it and someone else does, unless I recognise them as a long-standing member then i`ll take the £5 first if thats all the same to you.

PM`s if you fancy it but its Pepes first refusal.
(Post Link) post #14 of 17 Old 04-01-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Cheers for the offer.

I have splashed out on an mp3 in the sales.

thanks again.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Saab 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris

............dash hole.....................
Tee hee

Ahem
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex

I'm glad its all sorted amicably.

I bought my current Alfa (also a 155 Super) through AO. I travelled a fair distance to see it on the understanding that if it was not as described the deal would not go ahead. I accepted that risk but, two years later I still don't regret the purchase as it has turned out to be an excellent all round car.

As someone said earlier 'caveat emptor'.

Phil
(Post Link) post #17 of 17 Old 06-01-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

The car is finally starting to come together. Idle valve has been sorted today so the annoying stutter should be gone. I have ordered new door seals and new chrome grill. Wheels have been balanced again and also correct air pressure in the tyres! This has made a world of difference, and I now need to source 2 rubber washers for the alloys. The wiper judder drives me round the bend but I will get round to that on the first sunny day.

There is more that needs doing but all in all it has been a great buy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Announcements & Comments

Tags
buying , cars