Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Announcements & Comments A lounge for staff announcements.
If we have ideas, requests or something to tell you, it will go in here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
(Post Link) post #1 of 77 Old 27-10-04 Thread Starter
Status: No more guiletta... Auctioned off
Founder of AO
 
alfaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 8,044
Images: 83

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Please be warned that AO does not allow spamming on our site - EVER

With thanks to some of our most loyal 155 moles, we have received solid information that many 155ers are PM'ing a new web address secretly behind closed doors and asking other members to quit AO and join a new 155 only web site.

Be my guest and join this site, however, please alert us to the perpetrators before you go so that we can cancel their long standing accounts. Or if you wish to give up your account simply PM me and I will be happy to do this for you.

Today I have had to Ban some members I really likes for breaking simple rules, advertising another related web site using AO PM's is disgraceful behaviour in any ones book!

Good riddance to bad baggage I say

Regards,

Ian

Alfaowner.com - Are you addicted yet?

[CENTER]
alfaowner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Twilight Zone........
Posts: 187

Member car:

ALFA 155 V6

Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

I can assure you Ian that we never asked anyone to QUIT AO .................we all use both sites so i don`t know where you got that idea from

We were just trying to get back what you had taken away a seperate 155 forum which we used to have and which we used to visit along with AO in the old days

There is NO way we would ever ask anyone to QUIT this site

But if thats the way you feel about us finding our own forum then that`s the way you feel .................
speedy is offline  
Chris155
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!



I'm too pished to talk coherently about this. Rest assured Ian, you will hear from me.

This is going to tear AO apart.

Well done boys.
 
Status: -
AO Rosso Alfa Member
 
kurzon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 45,472
Images: 1

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Cr@p this is the first time I saw this thread... so its all true hey. What can I say... I being relatively new can only say that I have not been encouraged to leave this site (although I admit there is another site I know of)... and some of the 155ers I have got to know well here...and I mean really well... and they never ever come accross to me in terms to 'abandon ship' or 'advocate mutiny' (ie soliciting me or anyone else or themselves to leave)... Perhaps I have had more confrontations with 155ers... but I never would believe the majority of them would try such a thing or leave AO permanently. Maybe some, whom I can't think of now or possibly even know, but not the most or the regulars.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense. I just hope that maybe... just maybe I'm missing something.

"I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't
trust coincidences." - Garak, DS9
So true
The BORED Collective
WE are SpartaBORED! I was DarthBORED! I am FearBORED! :elaugh: I was PredatorBORED! I was PhantomBORED!...of the AO-Theatre I have been iBORED! TerminatorBORED! He'll be back!
kurzon is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 77 Old 27-10-04 Thread Starter
Status: No more guiletta... Auctioned off
Founder of AO
 
alfaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 8,044
Images: 83

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Lads...

4 years down the line AO is going from strength to strength, I have no worries about our direction looking from the big chair. Some weeks back when we proposed new changes I publicly stated that if anyone wanted to, you could go and set up your own dedicated 155 site, however, I also remember stating that you have to do it away from AO. And by stating away from AO, I certainly didn't mean PM'ing web addresses to other AO members. It seems we have either have a s-h-i-t stirring set of moles that are currently also posting on your site too or PM's were sent from AO advertising this new site! Where is your argument here?
As your own site states, 50 members in 9 days when your site isn't even in a search engine, its not hard to work out what happened here

I should be !!!!ed at this? but somehow I expected it a little sooner, however, as you all know, AO has been through rough times in the past, we can afford to loose 155ers if we have too, but that was never part of the big plan. However, saying that, I hope you are all happy with your new home, but you must build your site on your own merits, not someone else's hard work, shame on you and I am surprised at some of the people that I considered internet friends.

An era ends but it seems another starts, I wish you all luck, don't be !!!!ed, what did you think would happen when I found out that you had spammed us this way after all I have done for the 155ers in the past!

Never mind, now to move on, as the forum I posted to says "announcements", lets keep it that way!
alfaowner is offline  
Chris155
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Meh. What's the point.

www.alfa145.com

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I don't want to be banned but what's the point when free speech is censored?

Last edited by Chris155; 28-10-04 at 01:05.
 
Chris155
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

see, even

a l f a 1 5 5 . o r g is a swear word.

if you looked hard you'd see we were directing membvers to AO.
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
posty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neutral Zone
Posts: 215
Images: 11
Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

hi ian and alfisti

i've been coming here for a few months now but posting more recently

AO had some bad publicity from one or two other alfisti i know but in my own personal opinion its a cool place with cool alfisti

4 years is a long time to run this place, so just wanted to say well done and keep up the good work
posty is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 77 Old 28-10-04 Thread Starter
Status: No more guiletta... Auctioned off
Founder of AO
 
alfaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 8,044
Images: 83

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Ive been on that site for days now, ive read just about everything with lots of curiosity, in some ways it felt good read the stuff so early on, like I said, you have a mole already, a 155'er that didnt like what they were hearing!

I am not disputing the fact that another Alfa web site is joining the net, the more the merrier. Its all good for the marque!

Just to reiterate!!!
I am merely stating that the way its all been arranged/handled by some AO Members through AO's resources is not acceptable in any instance. When this happens to your own community, you will understand and reflect this day.

You must step back and think about my dedication to AO, it takes alot to knock me flat down... and some of these people have made me remember that I cannot trust anyone, no matter how much you think you know them.

Its a sad day for humans
alfaowner is offline  
Chris155
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

damn. Never going to make 2000 posts either.

GUTTED.
 
Chris155
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

I don't even own a 155 dammit.
 
(Post Link) post #12 of 77 Old 28-10-04 Thread Starter
Status: No more guiletta... Auctioned off
Founder of AO
 
alfaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 8,044
Images: 83

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Neither do I!
alfaowner is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Nigel S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 1,679

Member car:

156 2.0 16v SP3

Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Sorry Ian. I know you do a good job and put a lot of your time and money into this site but I can't quite agree with you on this one.

I was sent a PM that told me of the new site address and nothing else, most certainly not an incitement in any way to leave AlfaOwner (which I would ingore anyway as that's my choice). I viewed this as owners sharing information and passing on something that would benefit each other. It certainly wasn't an attack on you or AlfaOwner.

I'm afraid that this has happened because the 155 forums have been removed, which their users saw as a valauable asset to their membership. Sadly since these useful forums have been removed, new ones have been set up for things such as irrelvent polls! Surely the old 155s were more useful? If you don't give your members what they want, or take it away they will go elsewhere.

I can only guess, but I think most poeple who joined the new site remained and would wish to continue to be members of both site.

See the hidden rear door handles on the new Civic: That's Honda leading the way in design...
Nigel S is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
HowardA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 1,549
Images: 5

Member car:

2010 S350Bluetec

Mooney Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel S
Sorry Ian. I know you do a good job and put a lot of your time and money into this site but I can't quite agree with you on this one.

I was sent a PM that told me of the new site address and nothing else.
Ian, I have to say I totally agree with YOU.

to PM is to do what is says on the can "PRIVATE MESSAGE"

I am making 1 assumption, based on your comments & the fact that you run the site in an honourable way - that YOU AS OWNER OF THE SITE CANNOT READ PM'S SENT BETWEEN MEMBERS.

I didn't receive a PM, but I would have passed it to Ian if I had.

If we look at many regular members 'signature', they already advertise their own web site - but at least EVERYONE CAN SEE THIS.

How many people get sacked (or at least warned) for using company email systems for personal email ? are the spammers doing anything different....therefore shouldn't they be thrown off the board?

Maybe there needs to be an AO sandpit for the children to play in

Waiting for an Alfa version of a Maserati Quattroporte
HowardA is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
McGuinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Posts: 3,194

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

(Ian - 1.
AO - 0 )

It's a classic case of profit over all else.

A good business welcomes rivals and a good business encourages discussion whether that be about rivals or not.

Why didn't Ian try to reason with the 155ers directly and not make a knee-jerk decision? All users are potential customers and must be treated with kid gloves. We all know the saying: "A happy customer tells three others about the service. An unhappy customer tells 10 others not to buy there"

From reading this thread: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=29763 (Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!) I don't think this has been handled very well.

How can he call the 155ers 'bad baggage'? They were the most techinical members of the site, and while being the most 'clicky' in many ways, it has left a big void.
Has anybody else noticed that traffic has dropped since Sept? It's become quite dead here... and that's due to restrictive 'business' practices.

I'm very annoyed.

For Sale: Alfa Romeo Spark Plugs - NGK laser platinum, 10mm & 14mm. PM me.

"And now my friend, the first rule of italian driving. Whatsa behind me is not important."

Last edited by McGuinn; 28-10-04 at 10:45.
McGuinn is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
ajcarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: High Wycombe
Posts: 3,257

Member car:

145 Turbo, 330CD

Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Must say I must quite agree with you there McGuinn - as comparing it to a business I'm not so sure about - they have not left and signed another contract to only use goods from another company. This is a public forum, not a business. Sure I can appreciate Ian would not like promotion of other Alfa parts suppliers as this forum is funded by his very business, very understandable, but to link to another forum which provides no other service than a message board? Very pathetic. Especially as a forum in itself is so cheap to setup and run. Hardly a threat to alfaowner.com ltd is it.

So what happens next, a name lookup to be carried out on every other Alfa forum www wide and to ban those members as well for daring to join another forum. Afterall, can't be a member of more than one forum now can you. Sin.

Websites are like ********s, everyone has one, and im wary of any bloke trying to direct people into their's
ajcarter is offline  
Status: up to my eyeballs in work :-(
AO Gold Member
 
Green Cloverleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hampshire
Posts: 7,160
Images: 13
Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarter
......but to link to another forum which provides no other service than a message board?......
Ian,

This is the part that I do not understand. I have had a look at the new "155" forum, and it is purely a forum. It doesn't seem to link to, or be affiliated to, another business in competition with your own (unless I have missed the link).

Of course I can fully understand that you would be narked (quite rightly) if someone used YOUR system to spam all of YOUR customers about a competitors site. However, it looked like a non-profit forum to me.

There have been plenty of posts and links in the past to other Alfa forums and web-sites, so why ban these members this time? If they also want to meet in their own "private" 155 club, that is up to them, but this doesn't seem to be a reason to lock them out of this club.

At the end of the day, though, this is your resource and of course I will respect your decision. This is the only internet forum I subscribe to, as I have always found the people on here intelliegent, helpful and entertaining. I certainly hope this will continue in the future.
Green Cloverleaf is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Nigel S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 1,679

Member car:

156 2.0 16v SP3

Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

The decision seems to be based on pique rather than business sense.

I cannot see in any way how a separate 155 forum will threaten AlfaOwner, in fact the shared membership would benefit AlfaOwner as new 155 owners are likely to be pushed towards AlfaOwner and it's shop. Remember 155 parts are hard to find.

A lot of bad feeling has been created for no reason. I have just gone from a 155 to a 156 and feel that the comment
Quote:
Good riddance to bad baggage I say
made in the first post is distasteful to say the least and below the level I thought Ian worked at.
Nigel S is offline  
Status: frenzied burrowing
AO Platinum Member
 
Fraser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: South Lanarkshire
Posts: 19,680
Images: 8
Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Cloverleaf
Ian,

This is the part that I do not understand. I have had a look at the new "155" forum, and it is purely a forum. It doesn't seem to link to, or be affiliated to, another business in competition with your own (unless I have missed the link).

Of course I can fully understand that you would be narked (quite rightly) if someone used YOUR system to spam all of YOUR customers about a competitors site. However, it looked like a non-profit forum to me.

There have been plenty of posts and links in the past to other Alfa forums and web-sites, so why ban these members this time? If they also want to meet in their own "private" 155 club, that is up to them, but this doesn't seem to be a reason to lock them out of this club.

At the end of the day, though, this is your resource and of course I will respect your decision. This is the only internet forum I subscribe to, as I have always found the people on here intelliegent, helpful and entertaining. I certainly hope this will continue in the future.
I have to agree and this is well put.
Fraser is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
McGuinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Posts: 3,194

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel S
I have just gone from a 155 to a 156 and feel that the comment made in the first post is distasteful to say the least and below the level I thought Ian worked at.
Here Here. Fully agree.
McGuinn is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Nigel S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 1,679

Member car:

156 2.0 16v SP3

Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardA
Ian, I have to say I totally agree with YOU.

to PM is to do what is says on the can "PRIVATE MESSAGE"

I am making 1 assumption, based on your comments & the fact that you run the site in an honourable way - that YOU AS OWNER OF THE SITE CANNOT READ PM'S SENT BETWEEN MEMBERS.

I didn't receive a PM, but I would have passed it to Ian if I had.

If we look at many regular members 'signature', they already advertise their own web site - but at least EVERYONE CAN SEE THIS.

How many people get sacked (or at least warned) for using company email systems for personal email ? are the spammers doing anything different....therefore shouldn't they be thrown off the board?

Maybe there needs to be an AO sandpit for the children to play in
Howard:

You never got the mesage because you don't drive a 155. The message I got wasn't offensive, it just gave me information that I may find helpful. It was not "spam" in any way, just friends helping each other.

I agree about the sandpit, but the people who need to play in it may not be solely the ones you are thinking of.
Nigel S is offline  
Chris155
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaowner
asking other members to quit AO and join a new 155 only web site.

Quite simply NOT TRUE.
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
HowardA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 1,549
Images: 5

Member car:

2010 S350Bluetec

Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel S
Howard:

You never got the message because you don't drive a 155.
true. but neither do you I owned a 155 v6 for several years, and have owned alfa's for 10 years overall, and found AO through the previous 155.com site.

Quote:
I agree about the sandpit, but the people who need to play in it may not be solely the ones you are thinking of.
I am glad that your powers of mind-reading are so acute - who says anyone is prohibited? Are you feeling a bit tetchy

I was making the point that everything was done deliberately to avoid Ian finding out what was going on.
HowardA is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Nigel S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 1,679

Member car:

156 2.0 16v SP3

Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

No I'm not tetchy, just very dissapointed about the situation.

You have a fair point with the deliberate "sneaking around" within PMs, maybe a straight up request to mention the new 155 site with Ian would have been more appropriate. There is no reason why the sites should conflict.

I feel Ian's comment in his first post on this thread somewhat deminishes his argument by being petty and childish towards these people. He asks members not to resort to personal attacks and then makes one himself.

I think this is a six of one and half dozen of the other situation. Very sad and avoidable. I would happily be a member of both as would the others.
Nigel S is offline  
Chris155
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardA
I was making the point that everything was done deliberately to avoid Ian finding out what was going on.
There wasn't a conspiracy to hide it. All we did was to not mention it publically as per Ian's own instructions.
 
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Announcements & Comments

Tags
155er , spam

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome