Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know! - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Announcements & Comments A lounge for staff announcements.
If we have ideas, requests or something to tell you, it will go in here.

Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Re: Did you get a 155er Spam PM? Let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascs
Indeed - I know it's not our site but a little more tolerance would have helped - we are all here afterall because we love Alfas
I'm here coz I got lost when I was looking for an Aston Martin site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Banned or not,I reckon the 155ers involved would have left anyway.
Bloody tiresome,all this pernicketyness.Lets go back to having fun,and taking the !!!! out of Hugo`s english.
New balls ,please.
AO Member

Member car:

'97 155 1.8 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon
I'm glad my name isn't Edward (or Ted).......

Are You a D1ck Ted ????

Oh man...I know you shouldn't laugh at yer own jokes...but nobody else laughs at mine.......
Nice one Marl, thats got me in stitches!
(Considering..)

@ Fraser & McGuinn... I used to have an E30....

Starting to misas it now...
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon
I'm glad my name isn't Edward (or Ted).......

Are You a D1ck Ted ????

Oh man...I know you shouldn't laugh at yer own jokes...but nobody else laughs at mine.......
Yeah but Nordic's gonna kill ya
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

Cool cars...! I know somebody who wrote off a Coupe E30...
... and a 146 ...
... and a Delta HF Turbo...
... and a 2CV (twice)...
... and a flowerbed (with a lawnmower)...

I won't mention names...
marlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompatruck1
Yeah but Nordic's gonna kill ya
LOL...I did resist asking him that question when he was online !!!!

AO Member

No, I did not get spam mail, What I got was a friend sending me a PM telling me of a new site. I visited that site out of my own free will and nobody made me do anything!
Ian, It's ok trying to play God but you should stop now and then and listen to your people. Did you really think you could treat the people the way you did ( merging the sites and not listening to requests) and still have their loyalty? Who do you think you are? Not even Robert Mugabe gets away with that!! If you really were concerned about this site (AO) as a gateway for likeminded owners to gather you would'nt make stupid comments like calling other users "baggage" and banning them. AFAIK they are all grownup people and I'm sure none of those that you "banned" are going to slit their wrists!
Please feel free to "ban" me. I have a real live!
Sieg
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Jesus
Nice one Sieg, just as everyone is reconsiling

Mugabe... yeah, good equivalent. EXACTLY the same thing

I don't think Ian ever wanted to get rid of the 155ers, and the phrase 'bad baggage' which he used was, in the heat of the moment, describing the problem of having people on the forum who, at that time, seemed to be only doing harm to it.
Again, I do not for one minute think that Ian was describing 'the 155ers' as bag baggage.
marlon

as above:
I commented on the "bad baggage" thing before. I think it was heat of the moment, as have some of my replies been over the past couple of days.

Sieg, there is more history to the whole story than you are probably aware, but the fued is kinda over now. Those of us who are still allowed on, still and will post on this site as far as I can see. The general feeling is it's a shame members got banned...and not all were 155'ers either.

Take it easy M80

jimbo

well i think ian had this move /merge planned all along,as i said after the first change,not everyone wants to be part of a herd,some people like to live on the edge(a wolf pack) like 155ers,his comments about baggage etc sums it up.the really stupid thing is that nobody would have left this site,most 155ers have made lots of friends from a.o.site and would have continued to use it.
in the end push comes to shove,and we jumped
cheers jimbo

AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Sorry guys I'm cutting and pasting here as its relevant to this thread too.
===================

Some of the 155ers haven't been banned, of which some are trying to represent the silenced voice here and in other threads and fair cop to them. As also some of the none 155ers have represented their views. Some of the 155ers have been banned probably don't want to return and thatís their call and if thatís what they want then thatís entirely up to their reasoning and I won't argue with that in anyway. However clearly some other 155ers that have been banned have returned and have represented their views and are continuing with their regular posting activities and as far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong in that too.

So my next point being, now that most of what could have been said has been said and given the poll re: 'should the 155ers be banned' representing all types of Alfa owner views, can we please have a rethink. Lessons whether just, required or otherwise have been executed. Now if some of the 155ers that are currently marked as banned want their accounts re-activated can this be allowed? Yes I know I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but I'm pretty sure there are some that are innocent and have fallen fowl of some overall stance in eradicating the mutineers. Yes probably not the best of words to use but I have none better to offer this late in the night. So Ian - can we regroup and have a rethink? This is probably my last ditched attempt in representing my view on this subject and I hope something can be done to help some of the 155ers back who want to return.

Now for my disclaimer. I don't want to get into any 'fairness' discussion or 'Ian has the right to do what he wants' or 'we never tried to solicit any anyone to abandon AO and join us' etc as that has already been said over and over again. I sympathise with all the posts but thatís not the point of my post. Just simply put, if they want back in and if perhaps they weren't the 'real' perpetrators then can we have them back?

"I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't
trust coincidences." - Garak, DS9
So true
The BORED Collective ©ô
WE are SpartaBORED! I was DarthBORED! I am FearBORED! :elaugh: I was PredatorBORED! I was PhantomBORED!...of the AO-Theatre I have been iBORED! TerminatorBORED! He'll be back!
marlon

Right OK...............

Ian runs this site in HIS spare time. He also has another full time job. I imagine it takes a lot of time to manage a site like this. It also takes money. Seeing as this is a non-subscription site, where does the money come from ??? Ian ????......probably yes, out his own pocket. The proceeds from the AO probably help, but seeing as very few members on here actually buy stuff from Ian, they are essentially not contributing to the running costs of the site.

The bigger the site, more bandwidth and more money is needed I presume. That I imagine is one of the reasons for downsizing or merging the 2 sites. Seeing as this site is run as a "hobby" by someone in their spare time, they probably don't feel they deserve a hard time about things all the time. So if I was taking as much grief as I believe AO has, not just recently but all the time, I too would maybe take the "Well stick it up yer jumper" attitude. If the members of this board can abuse him via email and posts on this site, why not fight back ???

I'm an in-betweeny on this whole issue. I think I can see the arguement of both sides. If the "spamming" is against the AO policy, then action should be taken. I'm not gonna get into the what should and should not be allowed debate, but I think the PM's were just the straw that broke the camels back after a year of hell regarding the sites.

THE END

AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I think that covers most peoples view Marlon - all we need now is to get the good vibes back and start enjoying AO again.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Spot on Marlon, couldn't agree with that post more if I'd written it myself.
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Agree wholeheartedly!

Lets call it a day and get on with other things then.......please
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 16v SP3

I agree with your comments Marlon.

I think it's time for common sense to prevail now all the upset has been voiced. It would be a shame to loose some of the good nature and long standing members of AO.

Is it beyond possibility, given that the new site is only a forum and therefore shouldn't tread on AO's toes, to give the banned people a rollicking and FINAL chance to return?

I cannot see why, given a bit of forgiveness on both sides, why things can't work out here, especially now tempers should have calmed? Without this both sides will be the poorer.

See the hidden rear door handles on the new Civic: That's Honda leading the way in design...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

alfa romeo 155

i can agree!
but can i add! i was also banned too just for the record, i want to defend myself and also the other poor lads that have been banned
no-one ever EVER mentioned about quting ao in my case im prode to be on ao i love this site and ill never put a bad word againts it! all we did was fowarding a link to a new 155 site to other close members being thay did'nt have there e-mail address to sent to! nothing else!! no ADVERTISING involed just a genuine invite
marlon

Andy...that's been said by everyone now
I did see a PM from someone and it could've been misunderstood with the wording it used. A bit like walking in on the middle of a conversation, without the 1st part of the "story", this PM could've been seen as an attack on AO, although it wasn't meant to be. There is much more that went on than most of us know, but it's settled now

mmm

I believe it has not been settled the banned 155ers have been publicly executed without even any discussion AO was procecution, defense judge jury and executioner. I belive any discussions should be done in private and if still no resolution it is Ians site.
And I as a banned 155 user I would have stood by any decision taken by Ian after a discussion.

mmm

please do not take this as being negative but it is an important issue that has gone relatively unnoticed and unanswered by some.

can this issue please be answered once and for all

general alfa discussion Ad or not

AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm
please do not take this as being negative but it is an important issue that has gone relatively unnoticed and unanswered by some.

can this issue please be answered once and for all

general alfa discussion Ad or not
You point to the thread which... for all intense purposes, seems to be have been hijacked by me. Okay so you are a 155er... I wish you can have a 'hearing' as it were... I have said as much in this thread and the pasted jobby in the other. Ian... is probably biding his time to see what is going on as he hasn't posted that much here or perhaps he is busy But I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say I think he will listen and allow some back depending on discussions and his views at the time. Thats what I hope anyway.

PS other aliases have revealed themselves ... so should you in my opinion... but thats up to you

EDIT: the link is dead and the real answer lies here re: PM's
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showt...606#post418606

Last edited by kurzon; 01-11-04 at 01:46.
AO Member

I agree with the points above............are we all mates now
Can we move on 2 pressing buisiness like enjoying the alfa site(sites) and taking the p155 out of each other
............narlo.............
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Okay, so what kind of a alias in Narlo or is that your name ... if it is... its a really nice name and I think it rolls of the tongue pretty well... friends again
AO Member

Ian, Please stop sending me PM's.
I dont want to hear from you. EVER!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Sold :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg
Ian, Please stop sending me PM's.
I dont want to hear from you. EVER!!
Do you really think that was an appropriate thing to post in public? Get smart and PM him back as it is private discussion.

Simon

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Announcements & Comments

Tags
155er , spam