I wanted to let you know that we have the following positions available at AO should anyone want to help us be bigger, better and more inline with your expections… Ever thought you could do it? Here is your chance!
Moderating roles - Several positions available, can you make the difference?
Online Story writer - Able to write interesting car related threads/stories for publishing, excellent punctuation required (Not one for me then)
Content Manager - Collates interesting threads from around the web/funny stories for re-publishing (More on this…)
So hopefully, we've come up with an application process which will be a lot fairer than the previous system and should allow us to evaluate candidates for positions in a much more timely manner too.
Please send any applications to email@example.com
You MUST send your email with a subject line of Position Applied For - Currently Displayed Name (so if poster John Smith applied to be a moderator, his email would have the subject "Moderator - John Smith"), and include the following information:
1. Your website user name.
2. A link to your profile:
Please note: A correct link to your profile will look something like this: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/members/alfaowner.html
3. Your real name
4. Your global location - Such as Manchester, UK or Milan, Italy etc…
5. A contact telephone number (Used only for initial contact, please include any specific country code, we will always arrange a time to call first)
6. Your Age.
7. How you feel you can make a difference
8. Your daytime proffesion - May help your application, no other reason (*Optional)
9. Please include a brief paragraph describing why you want to be a moderator etc. if that is the position you have applied for and what you can bring to the team/site.
Please note the following: If you want to apply to moderate, you need to be an active poster on the forum, and you also need to be an active member of AO for at least six months. We've had people apply in the past that hardly post and it wouldn't be right or fair to the posters that are active if we were to appoint someone who hardly posts, therefore your application will only be considered if you're an active poster.
Within 24 hours, you will receive confirmation letting you know that we have received your application. If you do not receive a confirmation message then please contact ian @ alfaowner.com after 24 hours has passed.
The Moderator Qualities
The AO Team has often been asked what kind of qualities we look for in a candidate applying to moderate. Listed below are a general list of questions that we commonly ask when reviewing each person's application:
1. How long has the candidate been a member?
2. How many posts does the candidate have?
[This is important, we feel, because we want any potential moderator candidate to be an active poster here.]
3. What did the candidate say about himself or herself in their application?
4. Does the candidate start threads?
5. Does the candidate participate on a variety of threads, or do they mostly post on just one thread/lounge?
[This is important, we feel, because a moderator should lead by example in being more active in discussion threads than just off topic type threads.]
7. Has the candidate been actively posting for a long time, or did they just start posting after the Moderator Opening Announcement was posted?
AO Staff strive to be great leaders and do plenty more than simply close threads. Moderators should be approachable and professional and they should try to answer posters' questions as quickly as possible.
Moderators are also expected to start discussions, welcome newcomers, help resolve disputes between posters, and make sure that posters are adhering to AO's basic community standard rules. It's fine for a moderator to be "one of the lads" so to speak, but they have to deal with any issues and stay professional at ALL times and be able to deal with issues in an impartial manner remembering they are portraying the AO brand.
Moderators should also visit the Moderators staff area on a regular basis to keep abreast of mod issues and to socialise with other staff in the community.
We hope all this gives you a better idea of how the application process is performed and wish you luck.