New forum kicks ass! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Announcements & Comments A lounge for staff announcements.
If we have ideas, requests or something to tell you, it will go in here.

(Post Link) post #26 of 80 Old 19-01-04 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Antwerpen
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM
OK Wim, If I view the thumbnail it says I don't have access to that part of the site. ;(
Looks like they're working on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

One note: I've been using my "special posting technics" and this new forum is bloody fast!!! I don't know how is it with you, but with me, it's a blast!!!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabilda
Its just Alan Partridge, Mel!

He's a legend.

He looks bigger than 64 x 64?
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksAlfas
I bet he is irl
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

Quote:
My thoughts exactly, my dear
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Bonkers
My thoughts exactly, my dear

Hello Sweetheart
I see from your Avatar you have had your latest scan done.
Everything OK??
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

Well, the scan went ok. Everything is fine .....as you can see
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

Looks more like you than Marcia....
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

Quote:
The maximum size of 65 x 65 pixels was set after bobdabilda uploaded his avatar. So he is lucky until he wants to change his avatar.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Ok, Since we're all voicing an opinion, I might as well step up and put in my two cents.

I don't like it.

I know the changes were made for good reason -- bandwidth -- but everything that I liked about the old forum is gone, and most of the bells and whistles on the new one don't impress me that much.

For starters, I'm with the people who dislike the colour. I find it drab and dull. Driving my Alfa is always a fun, bright and breezy experience, and the forum used to reflect that. This colour scheme doesn't. It is fine for a corporate look. It is smart and sophisticated, but not warm and friendly. Also I agree with whoever said they don't like this style of smilie. Still, if it was just the colour and the look I'd shut up, but sadly, it's not.

Why I really liked reading the old forum as opposed to other forums was the high ratio of amount of content vs. the amount of wasted space. I find this new forum to be guilty of the same bad layout as many other Internet forums -- there's just too much blank space in each post and between the posts. It takes twice as long to read a thread and I can't fit as much on my screen.

This is just a suggestion, but if people don't fill in their age or their contact information, don't display the blank space. It just wastes screen space. There also seems to be too much blank/wasted space between the end of the post and the start of the signature. I realize this is because of the set size of the box -- it must be a minimum to fit all that contact/age/etc. listing information.

I'm also with the camp that wants to see a full range of cars listed, and not just model names. For the most part I don't care whether I can ICQ a person, but I do want to know what that person drives. Whether s/he has personal experience with a car IS an important issue to me. It's why I also miss the detailed info about the car. Just because somebody with a Spider wants to give me advice, it doesn't mean that advice will be relevant to me. What fixes a 2003 Spider probably won't fix my 1973 Spider. Actually even the fix for a 1973 Spider with a 1750 engine may not be the right solution for my 2000 engine. Yes I know that not everybody listed their cars in the old forum, and instead used the space to post slogans, but I appreciated those who did. Of course I eventuallly got to know which regulars drove which cars (for the most part) but for newcomers, it really is difficult to judge who drives what under this new system.

Of course I miss my spell check button -- although I was probably the only one to use it.

I find the replies hard to use. I've tried both the quick reply and the advanced (or whatever it was called). Today it wouldn't even let me use the advanced, and I had to pick the quick one. I realize there are bugs in the system that still need to be worked out and features that still need to be refined, but so far I'm not finding the forum easy or instinctive to use.

Last night, I tried the "preview post" button, and it didn't work for me. I don't know if this is a problem on my end -- which it very well could be -- or a glitch that still needs to be worked out. Essentially it ate my PM and kicked me out of the board. I'm dying to try it again, but I don't want to do it on this post -- I don't want to have to retype this.

Going back to the issue of content over wasted space I find the PM section to be an equally bad offender. If I open my inbox, I like to be able to see the sent and received messages in one view. I hate having to click through for separate views. I know I'm lazy, but I really like getting as much information on the screen as possible. As for the bar indicating how full my inbox is, I really don't need it. If you tell me I have room for 60 messages and my inbox tells me I have 30 and my outbox tells me I have 30, I know my box is full. I don't need a graphic to show me. Again, it just seems to be an excess graphical waste of space without giving me any additional content or value-add.

Also, I miss getting a copy of the PM in my e-mail. The link requires me to come back to AO, when before I could read/refer to my PMs, even when I wasn't online or logged into AO.

I'll shut up now. I'm sure I've offended the whole AO team and many of the regulars. Please note, that's not my intention. I do appreciate all the hard work that has been put into our new home, and I understand that changes had to me made or the forum was going to cease to exist.

I know that there are new skins in the works to allow us to customize our views of the main board, so I won't say too much about that, except that I hope there is a nice, tight compact one that allows us to see all of the lounges on one screen.

I guess I'm just a function over form person. Pretty only goes so far, and despite the colour scheme, the new place is pretty. I just wish it was a little more reader friendly.

Sorry for my critique, and apologies for any hurt feelings. As I said, my intention wasn't to pick on everybody's hard work, it was just to try to put into words my reactions and feelings to the new forum. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm used to being in that group.
--Toronto

P.S. On the plus side I do like the idea of being able to upload attachments to the AO server. I'll have to give it a try one of these days when I have something interesting to share.
AO Silver Member

I'm with you T

I'm sorry, and I don't want to sound ungrateful to AO, but I had the same thoughts like Toronto...

And I miss "cheese"
AO Silver Member

BTW I was in a forum like this, and I know that the function that let us see who's looking at the thread makes it really slow.... It was a problem there, dunno if it will be here.
AO Gold Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Why do I get "Post ID: 0" when I try to use the quick reply function? Where do I enter my cars` details?
Have to agree with the comments on the use of black.Its like looking out the window on a dismal winter day.......
And you have to do far too much scrolling down,to read a thread.
The rest`s great though.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Good point Jamie.I thought "Today`s topics was the best feature of the old forum.
The price of progress,huh?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Good to have the quick reply function,back though.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

A dungeon? I`m sure Rick will feel very at home in here,then!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Jamie,Can we get Richard Branson to back a bid to revive the old forum,then?
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Cry Like A Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by selespeed
The maximum size of 65 x 65 pixels was set after bobdabilda uploaded his avatar. So he is lucky until he wants to change his avatar.
Mwuhahahaha

I have a SUPERavatar!
AO Silver Member

I like the quick reply thing too.... that's the only improvement for me... I miss the cloverleafs and the cheese, rolleyes and rant... I hate these smilies
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie and the magic torch
share the info then - before we bust your kneecaps !
I uploaded it in the testing phase and because I am so special I get to keep it...for now :P
AO Gold Member

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Brown noser!!
AO Member

Member car:

Diesel

Help

Something I wonder:
Is it really true that this new forum uses less bandwidth? I'd have thought that if you add more graphics and more style tags, you'd end up using more bandwidth

Otherwise... I feel a bit lost in this new forum, too complicated choice of design for me probably. However, it's content which matters, so never mind.

Only one serious pray: let there be light!
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexi
Something I wonder:
Is it really true that this new forum uses less bandwidth? I'd have thought that if you add more graphics and more style tags, you'd end up using more bandwidth
and how about the uploading of files by the members?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 LE

Re: New forum kicks ass!

I wonder how new users are finding it ?? one's with an untainted opinion
Mod/Part time Model

Member car:

The Forum

Re: New forum kicks ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad
I wonder how new users are finding it ?? one's with an untainted opinion
Well I like it. Truly un-biased opinion here

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Announcements & Comments

Tags
ass , forum , kicks