The For Sale Lounge - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Announcements & Comments A lounge for staff announcements.
If we have ideas, requests or something to tell you, it will go in here.

Darren156

The For Sale Lounge

Hi everyone,

As someone who has sold their car via this forum I think the new change isn't all that good of an idea.

Changing the threads so that only the seller can comment within their own thread is a seriously awful idea.

If I have questions or comments or advice, I'm not going to go through the trouble of PMing them when it is much easier to make a post instead.

I understand this change might be so that the threads don't get filled up with drivel, but as far as I was aware this was being taken care of via mass deletion of posts. (Much to the dismay of the actual sellers)

Also, any questions I ask via a PM should really be shared with fellow members interested in that car. And fair enough the seller could go back into the thread and give the details etc, but would that not take much longer?

I believe that if myself and Symonh2000 were not allowed to converse via the thread of his 156 then we would not be driving the cars that we are now. It was the quick conversation and questions etc that got us talking and eventually ended up in us meeting and taking on ownership of each others motors.

What do other people think? Sellers in particular. If this change is welcomed by the sellers then there is obviously no problem, but if there is then surely this needs to change? As at the end of the day, does the forum not need to meet the needs of its actual members?(Paid up or otherwise)

Thank you,
Darren

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -
Re: The For Sale Lounge

Yes I agree.

I'm unhappy with this route - especially since ALL the positive comments ref my current Spider sale have been deleted and nobody can even post questions there.

Quite a few AOers have seen my Spider IRL and it always helps when other members are able to 'vouch' for it's condition and my personal integrity.

For example:- Our works 166 was sold a few months ago here on AO (within a week!) and I had 3 pages of questions, answers and positive comments. It's my belief that these comments were a positive slant on the whole sale of the car.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfas...4v-2001-a.html

Indeed the new owner posted details of how happy he was with the car and I see that as a positive recommendation on me as an owner and track record of selling Alfas in great condition.

Here:- http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/1416795-post14.html (Skelly)

I feel the club theme has been replaced with a Pistonheads/Autotrader type sales platform - it's not going to help sell cars

I especially don't like the way this has been introduced. There's been no discussion, no explanation, and almost every day during the last week I've had PM notifications that my thread had either been edited or deleted. Not really fair when ALL of the comments and points were of a positive nature.

Some other 'for sale' threads have been allowed to run and run for some reason, whilst others have been edied over and over again. Why

I would have hoped that at least as a paying member, this type of permission levfel on personal/sales threads, the individual could be allowed to edit themselves or with the assistance of a mod

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfas...ed-spider.html

Can we try and work out a better way of working this Or at least have a blanket rule to ALL current sales so it's an even and fair playing field.

-Keep It Moist-
I'm experiencing deja vu and amnesia at the same time... I think I've forgotten this before.
145 QV->156 1.8->166 3.0->156SW 2.4->166 3.0 V6->156 2.4 20v->2.0Spider->159 2.4->159 2.4->159 TI 2.4 Modifica->Merc C-Class->Jag XJ->Boxster S->BMW 330d XD Msport Plus Performance

Last edited by Hunter; 01-04-08 at 10:20. Reason: Inserting Link
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

If we decide sometime, to use the for sale facility, your points will be taken into account. Cheers Darren.:
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

I don't understand this decision, having replies from others to say things like, "I have seen this car in the flesh and it is as good as the seller says it is", or "iv been for drive in this, I can vouch for the extra power", things like this would really help the sale

Having people have to PM any comments and questions will be a PITA IMO, especially when non members have only 5 or so PM space....
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

It has been done to keep the clutter in For Sale threads to a minimum. It also helps to keep UNWANTED posts out of a thread.
Comments such as "Way overpriced, it'll never sell" and "Did you have that dent fixed?" are unfair on the seller and will detract from a sale. Positive comments are great, but why should a member who doesn't attend meets or have as much time to show their car get treated any differently from a high-poster?

The original For Sale post should ideally contain all the necessary information, including contact details (just as AutoTrader and to a certain extent Ebay do). If the seller wishes to remain anonymous, interested buyers can use the PM or pager facility to either request contact information or to supply their own details. As is the case with Ebay, any messages received can be posted publicly on the ad by the seller.

An announcement was made 2-3 weeks ago in the For Sale section regarding these potential changes and it was mentioned that if the needless posts continued, then this would be introduced. Posts carried on regardless and some members carried on posting in the for sale sections even after having posts deleted, so we introduced this feature.

The For Sale lounge is a place to buy and sell - there are plenty of other places to chat.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.

Last edited by bobda; 01-04-08 at 12:18.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Announcements & Comments

Tags
lounge , sale