Avoiding the swear sensors... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Announcements & Comments A lounge for staff announcements.
If we have ideas, requests or something to tell you, it will go in here.

Closed Thread

(Post Link) post #1 of 63 Old 06-02-08 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

Avoiding the swear sensors...

More and more members are avoiding the swear sensors. As you can imagine we don't like that as the swear sensor is there for a reason.

We don't want to be very strict because we want to keep this a friendly place with the least interference as possible by the Mods.

Please respect our wish and avoid swearing as much as possible. Members who deliberately avoid the swear sensor multiple times will collect infraction points from now on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Re: Avoiding the swear sensors...

Don't treat people like children Selespeed, I generally avoid swearing myself, but as the Forum increases popularity, you have to embrase a moderistic approach.

There are a lot of double standards on this forum, where rules apply to some and not others.

I chose not to swear, but I hate somebody teling me I can't swear !
happy man

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell811 View Post
Don't treat people like children Selespeed, I generally avoid swearing myself, but as the Forum increases popularity, you have to embrase a moderistic approach.

There are a lot of double standards on this forum, where rules apply to some and not others.

I chose not to swear, but I hate somebody teling me I can't swear !
Sorry Howell I'm with Hans on this one I saw a post in a thread the other day that showed exactly how to deliberatly beat the swear filter

It does say members who constantly do it and I'm sure the mods will issue a warning before infractions are given.

As for double standards I've not seen that personally and have been asked by the mods to edit / remove posts threads and I've had posts deleted so I don't think we do have double standards

AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by selespeed View Post
We don't want to be very strict because we want to keep this a friendly place with the least interference as possible by the Mods.

Please respect our wish and avoid swearing as much as possible. Members who deliberately avoid the swear sensor multiple times will collect infraction points from now on.
As Selespeed has stated. We don't want to be strict.

We will only penalise for deliberate misuse.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

I just feel that I have witnessed some double standards and heavy handed moderation on this site, and I have to be honest I don't like it, I'm standing up to it and if it continues I won't be about much longer.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
As Selespeed has stated. We don't want to be strict.

We will only penalise for deliberate misuse.
At what point is a line drawn ? Selespeed hiself has used Bloody, Crap and Trasaxel (tounge in cheek comment about Transexual). I think a lot of moderators have to look at the language that they have used in the past.

I actually find a lot of the jokes posted as offensive (and a lot of long term users and moderators have added smilies), are they to be deleted and the users warned ?
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Quote:
At what point is a line drawn ? Selespeed hiself has used Bloody, Crap and Trasaxel (
All of which clearly are not blocked by the swear filter, so what is your point?

As Selespeed is saying, swearwords which have been decided to be unsuitable are blocked by the filter, so please don't try to use those unsuitable words by using numbers and so on.
Currently crap is apparently acceptable, so use it to your hearts desire.

Where the line is drawn could not be clearer - if it's blocked we should endeavour not to use it.
(Post Link) post #8 of 63 Old 06-02-08 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561

Member car:

busso powered

Quote:
At what point is a line drawn ? Selespeed hiself has used Bloody, Crap and Trasaxel (tounge in cheek comment about Transexual). I think a lot of moderators have to look at the language that they have used in the past.

I actually find a lot of the jokes posted as offensive (and a lot of long term users and moderators have added smilies), are they to be deleted and the users warned ?
As you can see bloody, crap and transsexual are not censored words. So I haven't been avoiding the swear sensors. Of course you will be able to find posts of me where I have been avoiding the swear sensors. And that is not the point.

And when you are angry about anything and you use an occasional swear word, I don't have a problem with it at all. So that's not the point either.

The point is that some members are swearing more and more on AO. So only those who swear multiple times have a risk of collecting infraction points.

As far as I am concerned there are no double moderating standards. We try not to live by the book. Only strictly living by the book means everybody gets treated the same way. But it also means a large number of posts will be moderated and a lot of people get banned. In other words, the place won't be as friendly as it is now. And that's not a direction I want to go.

Personally I try not to moderate any post unless at least one member has reported a bad post. So the ones who brake the rules can get away with it some times. And I am not the only one who works this way.

I can imagine you find a lot of jokes offensive. Jokes are usually at someones expense. So I can imagine there are always members feeling some jokes offensive. I am not forbidding jokes and I don't delete them without a reason. When someone dislikes a joke, they can report them as a bad post. And when we receive the report, we judge what we have to do with the post.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
All of which clearly are not blocked by the swear filter, so what is your point?

As Selespeed is saying, swearwords which have been decided to be unsuitable are blocked by the filter, so please don't try to use those unsuitable words by using numbers and so on.
Currently crap is apparently acceptable, so use it to your hearts desire.

Where the line is drawn could not be clearer - if it's blocked we should endeavour not to use it.
My point being, I find those words crass and offensive, but the use of other words not so. Who determines which words to and not to use, and how do they judge whether or not they offend ? Is also depends on what context these words are used. Swearing is a fact of everyday life. I don't chose to swear, but I don't tell others not to either (with a threat of warning and infraction). Something I've received when I stood up to this before, when I spoke my mind.
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Actually, this is quite helpful. There is one word I use and I include a ! to beat the swear filter. So apologies for past transgressions and now I know what not to do.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Howell. If you find anything offencive, please report the post and let us look at it. Moderators can't be everywhere at once so we are thankful when regular users report something that seems out of place.

Cheers,
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by selespeed View Post
And when you are angry about anything and you use an occasional swear word, I don't have a problem with it at all. So that's not the point either.

The point is that some members are swearing more and more on AO. So only those who swear multiple times have a risk of collecting infraction points.
Fair points, I agree fully with what you are saying, and I thank you for a fair discussion on this matter.

In the past I have come across double standards (which could be documented, but I don't want to rake up the past), an authoritarian approach to the running of this forum on times, and I havn't agreed with it.

When I've complained in the past I have been shot down for this.
AO Gold Member

Was ********* a swear word?

If you use a wee wrong word is that when a pop rules reminder greets you?

All this technology like tacholgraphs is bamboozling me.

Pomeo.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Quote:
Who determines which words to and not to use, and how do they judge whether or not they offend ?
The moderating team and the people who set up the filter.

Quote:
I don't chose to swear, but I don't tell others not to either (with a threat of warning and infraction).
But then you're not trying to moderate a forum. Believe me, I post on some forums which are basically un-moderated, and it's not an improvement, it's a childish, playground, abusive environment.

On the other hand I post to forums which are far stricter than this, and they're a lot less fun. This forum has by far the best judged moderation level of any I've been on.
Do you think you should be the one to decide what the levels should be? And threaten to leave if you don't get your way? And (forgive me for saying it) but do you actually see something wrong overall with the moderation level, or do you actually see something wrong with the fact that you have been moderated?
My posts have been moderated on several occasions - the moderators have a job to do, and they have to decide to the best of their judgement. Does it really affect your life enough to threaten to leave? It didn't to mine.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

I Nomes & Gibbo

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
AO Gold Member

see it did iyt again.

power and alfa WHY?

Pomeo
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Howell. If you find anything offencive, please report the post and let us look at it. Moderators can't be everywhere at once so we are thankful when regular users report something that seems out of place.

Cheers,
Thanks Simon, but I tend to let people be. You have to be tolerent in a large society. Which Alfaowner.com is quickly becoming.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeo View Post
Was ********* a swear word?

If you use a wee wrong word is that when a pop rules reminder greets you?

All this technology like tacholgraphs is bamboozling me.

Pomeo.
I think you can deal with it quite simply. Just don't 'creatively' write any swear words.
if you want to swear, use the actual word. If it's acceptable, it'll appear. If it isn't, there'll be stars, and you're fine.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeo View Post
see it did iyt again.

power and alfa WHY?

Pomeo
Ah, I see what you mean. I seem to remember the owner of that company ripped off some members here. Or he spammed the website, or did something else objectionable. It was a long time ago.
I'd tell you to do a forum search, but you can't
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Ah, I see what you mean. I seem to remember the owner of that company ripped off some members here. Or he spammed the website, or did something else objectionable. It was a long time ago.
I'd tell you to do a forum search, but you can't
Thanks Bazza That explains it .I found him alright but he disappeared and wasn't sure why

Pomeo
Rayq81

**** off, actually i agree swearing is not big or clever and too much is unacceptable

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Believe me, I post on some forums which are basically un-moderated, and it's not an improvement, it's a childish, playground, abusive environment.

On the other hand I post to forums which are far stricter than this, and they're a lot less fun. This forum has by far the best judged moderation level of any I've been on.
Agree fully with you, I've not hung about on these forums, this is the first one I've actually paid for membership. That has to say something about Alfaowner.com
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Does it really affect your life enough to threaten to leave? It didn't to mine.
Honest answer, yes !

I generally live a tolerent and respectful life, but I have something in my DNA make-up that doesn't like to be told what to do. Especially when I don't have a voice to answer back, which is what I have found here on times (to my frustration).
happy man

I though that frustration was cleared up and it was a genuine problem a mod had replying to your PM

As far as the swearing goes I think as we're getting bigger the rules need to be made a little more clear.

We used to be a village that relied on self moderation to a certain extent.

But we're turning in to a city and as mentioned previously the mods can't be every where that's what the report button is for.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 17
County: West Yorkshire
Garage

So just to clarify do you have a list of the words we can't say?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy man View Post
I though that frustration was cleared up and it was a genuine problem a mod had replying to your PM

As far as the swearing goes I think as we're getting bigger the rules need to be made a little more clear.

We used to be a village that relied on self moderation to a certain extent.

But we're turning in to a city and as mentioned previously the mods can't be every where that's what the report button is for.
Don't think the PM problem was me ?

I just feel that as AO grows, people have to learn to be more tolerant of others and not so authoritarian.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Announcements & Comments

Tags
avoiding , sensors , swear