Mito 1.3 90 BHP DPF Help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa MiTo

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 26-09-12
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Mito Veloce

Mito 1.3 90 BHP DPF Help

Hello there
I bought a new Mito Veloce 1.3 90 BHP in 2009,and have covered only 7000 miles in the car;it would be higher,but the car has been plagued with issues,meaning it has hardly been used.I believe the problem is the DPF which keeps clogging,and regenerating,causing high fuel consumption and very poor performance,and no throttle response.My problem is Alfa will not replace under warranty,and they all say the car is 'normal',although I know a former service manager from the Norwich dealership who told me clearly

" I have been told not to tell you this,but there is something wrong with that car of yours;it's dull,lousy and totally unresponsive "

Any other Mito 1.3 diesel owners out there suffered or suffering DPF issues ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 26-09-12
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Merseyside

Member car:

various Alfas

We can remove your DPF and remap it,no more dpf issue ,better consumption and more power

Last edited by ALFA TUNER; 26-09-12 at 12:34.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 26-09-12
AO Member

County: West Lothian

Member car:

Alfa Mito / ZZR1100

Unfortulately i have the JTDM-2 , which is a different system , i would take it to another dealer and have them have a look at it , or a good Indie garage , even if its a couple of hours down the road it would be worth it .
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 26-09-12
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

159 2.0jtdm Ti SW

Originally Posted by Mito Veloce View Post
Hello there
I bought a new Mito Veloce 1.3 90 BHP in 2009,and have covered only 7000 miles in the car;it would be higher,but the car has been plagued with issues,meaning it has hardly been used.I believe the problem is the DPF which keeps clogging,and regenerating,causing high fuel consumption and very poor performance,and no throttle response.My problem is Alfa will not replace under warranty,and they all say the car is 'normal',although I know a former service manager from the Norwich dealership who told me clearly

" I have been told not to tell you this,but there is something wrong with that car of yours;it's dull,lousy and totally unresponsive "

Any other Mito 1.3 diesel owners out there suffered or suffering DPF issues ?
---
Hi Mito Veloce.
Has your dealer performed a Forced DPF regen yet and did this make a difference to the performance afterwards?
Also do you do alot of small town journeys where the oil temp barely reaches maximum?
You clearly do low milages which is ok - assuming you change the oil every year!

There are many factors as to when a car performs a self regen of the DPF.
My wife had similar problems with her 500 but this was more down to her driving style!

Try the fiat forum for advice also. To my knowledge there is not alot of difference between jtdm and jtdm2 engines - the regen principle is the same.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 26-09-12
AO Member

Member car:

Mito Veloce

Hello
My Mito has been to Desira in Norwich ( never again ) ,Desira in Bury St Edmunds,and is at present at Donalds of Peterborough where it was towed to by the AA as the car wasn't deemed fit to drive.I have been told that my car is 'normal',but the last journey I made saw the car slow down to under 40 mph on a dual carriageway,and no matter what gear I selected,or how hard I thrashed it ( up to 5500 RPM ),the car was strangled,and carried on struggling.At a roundabout,when I pulled away,it literaly crawled at about 5 mph,until it suddenly woke up,and went like the clappers;not good with a infant in the back seat,and it being a very busy roundabout. I think the Alfa people gave it a forced regen 40 miles previously,and this was the first time I had driven it since getting it back from Desira,so it was literally out of there workshop,and going wrong badly already.
I think when it goes in,they thrash it and rev it,and sent it out,as a new DPF is apparently expensive. I do a mix of short local runs,although I have a heavy right foot at times,and also do 80 mile round trips at 70 MPH,but no matter how gentle or hard I am with the car,it can't beat 41 MPG which is very poor.The car is supposed to be 90 BHP,but it feels like it isn't even hitting 60 BHP,but attempts to have the car put on a rolling road failed,as the Mito needs to go on a 4 wheel tester,and there is not one in my area.
We have several diesel vehicles,which do less miles ,and more frequent short journeys,and have never had a issue;My mothers 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 does more MPG than I do which is almost unthinkable.
I would think my Mito has done at least 7 regens since new,always with the DPF light on,but my last failed journey had no warning lamps on,and no throttle responce at all.
What MPG do your Mito's acheive ? My VW Lupo 1.4 TDi 75 BHP does over 50 MPG and is a hell of a lot faster and leaves the Mito standing when raced
One thing I can't fault is the fact it is a beautifull car though
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 26-09-12
chopper602

You could try some of this :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forte-DPF-Cl.../dp/B0061ATRK2

I've put some through my diesel with a DPF, but it's quite new, so can't tell if it's done anything. The other Forte products are well thought of, so don't see why this shouldn't do what it says on the tin (bottle!)
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 26-09-12
AO Silver Member

County: Stirling

Member car:

Mito JTDM-2

.The car is supposed to be 90 BHP,but it feels like it isn't even hitting 60 BHP,but attempts to have the car put on a rolling road failed,as the Mito needs to go on a 4 wheel tester,and there is not one in my area.

Doesnt need to be a 4 wheel tester either pull fuse for ABS(Which is what I did) or just run it up and after a minute or to a fault appears on screen and you can carry on with rolling road.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 28-09-12
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

Alfa Mito 1.3JTDM-2

Originally Posted by chopper602 View Post
You could try some of this :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forte-DPF-Cl.../dp/B0061ATRK2

I've put some through my diesel with a DPF, but it's quite new, so can't tell if it's done anything. The other Forte products are well thought of, so don't see why this shouldn't do what it says on the tin (bottle!)
+1 for Forte stuff

Years ago the small independent MOT place I've used for years used a dose of Forte
diesel cleaner to get my old Rover 220SD through the test.

My Mito 1.3JTDM-2 is now up to 18500 miles and averaging mid-60s MPG. It's had
no DPF issues as I only use it for long trips (> 10 miles) and I give it some welly

Chris
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 29-09-12
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.0jtdm Ti SW

Hello
My Mito has been to Desira in Norwich ( never again ) ,Desira in Bury St Edmunds,and is at present at Donalds of Peterborough where it was towed to by the AA as the car wasn't deemed fit to drive.I have been told that my car is 'normal',but the last journey I made saw the car slow down to under 40 mph on a dual carriageway,and no matter what gear I selected,or how hard I thrashed it ( up to 5500 RPM ),the car was strangled,and carried on struggling.At a roundabout,when I pulled away,it literaly crawled at about 5 mph,until it suddenly woke up,and went like the clappers;not good with a infant in the back seat,and it being a very busy roundabout. I think the Alfa people gave it a forced regen 40 miles previously,and this was the first time I had driven it since getting it back from Desira,so it was literally out of there workshop,and going wrong badly already.
I think when it goes in,they thrash it and rev it,and sent it out,as a new DPF is apparently expensive. I do a mix of short local runs,although I have a heavy right foot at times,and also do 80 mile round trips at 70 MPH,but no matter how gentle or hard I am with the car,it can't beat 41 MPG which is very poor.The car is supposed to be 90 BHP,but it feels like it isn't even hitting 60 BHP,but attempts to have the car put on a rolling road failed,as the Mito needs to go on a 4 wheel tester,and there is not one in my area.
We have several diesel vehicles,which do less miles ,and more frequent short journeys,and have never had a issue;My mothers 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 does more MPG than I do which is almost unthinkable.
I would think my Mito has done at least 7 regens since new,always with the DPF light on,but my last failed journey had no warning lamps on,and no throttle responce at all.
What MPG do your Mito's acheive ? My VW Lupo 1.4 TDi 75 BHP does over 50 MPG and is a hell of a lot faster and leaves the Mito standing when raced
One thing I can't fault is the fact it is a beautifull car though
---
The symptoms you car seems the be showing are very reminiscent of a MAF (Mass air flow)sensor prob, which can often go undetected by the "Examiner" diagnostics. It's a easy job to replace it although the sensor is quite expensive. I would get them to test your car with a new one to see if it fixes the issue.

If not then I would take it to Jamie Porter (Alfa Workshop) in Royston if Desira dont seem to be able to fix it. Sorry I dont know of anyone closer to you.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 29-09-12
AO Member

Member car:

Mito Veloce

I might try driving with it unplugged,but its got to the point now the car has lost my trust,and at 41 mpg,I might as well drive something that is equally as thirsty,but fast with it - might as well have had a Brera and stuffed any thoughts of economy !!
It has been suggested to have its DPF removed,but having previously been told by the Desira Norwich service manager that my car had problems,and just wasn't right makes me think maybe mines a 'rogue car' which will take a lot of solving unfortunately,and Alfa Romeo don't seem to care.They built it,and I bought it,they have had the money,and as far as they are concerned Alfa do not ever have any issues.
Oddly enough,mine doesn't have any rattles,squeeks or chipped paintwork;it just won't go,and drinks too much !
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 29-09-12
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 14
County: Neath Port Talbot

Member car:

V6 Brera+GT+Spider S4+500

How many miles a year did you intend to do in the car & on what sort of journeys
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 30-09-12
AO Member

Member car:

Abarth 500 T-Jet 135

The problem is that with such low mileage and short runs is that the DPF will not regen and clog up because everything has to be hot for it to do it.

Its a real shame that you have lost confidence and the frustation must be huge.

The MPG is not far off for short runs. Deisels are not that economical until they are properly warm, 10 miles in the summer and maybe 15 when its cold. We had a 147 JTD M-Jet that averaged 42, my run to work is 7 miles each way, but on the odd long runs 55 was easily achieveable, it didn't have a DPF, but I did have to clean the system with Wynns Gold Diesel system cleaner, which worked very well.

We changed the Alfa for a FIAT 500 Twinair, we know we'd have problems with a diesel, loads of people are. A chap at work had a Jag S Type which he only drove to maximise economy (trying to achive the EU figures, which is impossible) and the DPF never cleaned properly and the thing choked itself, much like your Mito. I told him he's bought the wrong car, or he need to give it an Italian Tune up. In the end he changed it for a Honda Insight

I believe some are mislead by the promise of diesel economy when its not possible on short journeys, you could even say that some diesels are being miss-sold. Mind you, the TA doesn't do 60 to the gallon, we get about 40 on normal driving to work, with late 40's/early 50's on longer runs. (Which is what we expected and are happy with)

I really feel for you with the problems you've had, any modern diesel will give the same problems (The Freelander engine is currently not the most modern) and I'd advise you, if you can, to change to a petrol verson (I hope a Mito, but the choice is yours) Diesels are now very complex and petrol is making a comeback.

I realise this may not seem that helpful, and I'm not saying "I told you so", if it was me, I'd see what you can get for the Mito and get a petrol one, buy another diesel, any make, and the same problems will happen.

I hope you sort things out to get a bit of confidence back, good luck

Last edited by Richard H; 30-09-12 at 07:00.
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 30-09-12
AO Member

Member car:

Mito Veloce

It was the attraction of the 1.3 diesel having a timing chain which lured me into the Mito,as I thought a GM engine with good quality electrics would be a excellent car.I know the claimed MPG figures are always 'optomistic',but when Desira of Bury had the car ( they are much better than Norwich ),they only got it to do 41 MPG.What dissapoints me is a 2.2 TD4 BMW engined Freelander does more MPG,and does even shorter runs. Realisticaly,I thouht I would get about the same as my VW Lupo,which easily does over 50 running about locally,and goes like the clappers.
I understand the later JDM-2 engines are much more responsive and quick off the mark,but I have a car which struggles to overtake anything safely,and can without any warning drop its power to a frightening crawl,or when pulling out of a junction,just lifelessly crawl out infront of traffic.Apparently,poor throttle response is 'normal' for a Mito,but I seriously doubt it.
All I wanted was a reliable fun to drive car,which would be equally as good as my VW;at present,I have a 1.2 Fiesta which is faster and that is more economical.
I should have waited a few months before having one from launch,and then had a Cloverleaf !
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 30-09-12
AO Member

Member car:

Abarth 500 T-Jet 135

The TD4 is very simple compared to the JTDm-2 and on short runs may give good economy, with poor emissions compared to later engines that have more comples EGR/DPF systems, Much like the 147 was a simpler beast than the new JTDm engines

BTW. Its not a GM engine. Its FIAT (Alfa), anyway, chain or belt makes little difference in the real world. (My opinion)

Belts make it easier for the manufacturers, little difference to us customers chains have been known to stretch, it could be the problem with your Mito.

Either way around, it should be better than a 1.2 Fiesta!

What does anyone else think?
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 30-09-12
AO Member

Member car:

Mito Veloce

Sadly My Mito is out performed by a 1997 Fiesta Chicane 1242 cc,and a 1422cc 75 BHP Lupo.The Freelander is a DPF model as its a 2010 vehicle with stop start,though my mother always turns the stop start off,as she isn't into cars starting and stopping how they feel fit !
The ultimate insult is I got out powered by a Toyota Aygo
My father thinks have the DPF removed,and the car remapped and see if it then becomes the wonderfull vehicle I had dreamed of it being.I have to admit though,I can't find a more beautifull car in its class,and the leather seats are really comfy
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 30-09-12
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 14
County: Neath Port Talbot

Member car:

V6 Brera+GT+Spider S4+500

Did you buy it knowing you'd only be doing short journeys?
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 25-10-12
AO Member

Member car:

Mito Veloce

Car is back from Donalds of Peterborough ( nice people to cat with ),but they thrashed it about,and say its ok; I haven't driven it since its return as I know whats going to happen.They did generously offer me £6000 for it though which was rather nice of them :P
I bought the car knowing it would do a mix of local runs,and weekend 80 mile dual carriage way round trips,but then a wedding,and then a son came along with a pushchair,and thats left it standing asside as I use my estate car
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 27-10-12
Regional Representative
for the South West - AOSW

County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

147 GTA / mito 1.6jtdm

the way i have found that works every time to clear the dpf is this , when you hear the regen has started let the car sit on idle for 5 mins so its got real hot then a quick rev to the red line and you get a nice puff of smoke out the back and the light goes off , i have tried the driving the car for so long like the manual says and its never cleaerd doing what i just said has worked every time. we will get it blanked off when we have the money to do so .
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 28-10-12
AO Gold Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

156GTA, GQV, Mito 95

Car is back from Donalds of Peterborough ( nice people to cat with ),but they thrashed it about,and say its ok; I haven't driven it since its return as I know whats going to happen.They did generously offer me £6000 for it though which was rather nice of them :P
I bought the car knowing it would do a mix of local runs,and weekend 80 mile dual carriage way round trips,but then a wedding,and then a son came along with a pushchair,and thats left it standing asside as I use my estate car
As Sqad Rosso is intimating, you have the wong car. Take the 6 grand trade-in and get a petrol model.
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 29-10-12
AO Member

Member car:

Mito Veloce

I'm planning to accept £8500 from my local Ford dealership in exchange for a new Fiesta Titanium with leather seats,and finally see the back of what was the worst £17000 I have ever spent.To say I have lost confidence and feelings towards thid car would be a understatement;usually I get very attached to my cars,but this is the only one which has left me dissaspointed and glad to see the back of it. The fact I got offered £6000 at Donalds for it clearly shows how highly they rated the car
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 29-10-12
AO Gold Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

156GTA, GQV, Mito 95

Make sure it's the petrol model, more cost effective for the miles you do. Good luck
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 30-10-12
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

Alfa Mito 1.3JTDM-2

I'm planning to accept £8500 from my local Ford dealership in exchange for a new Fiesta Titanium with leather seats,and finally see the back of what was the worst £17000 I have ever spent.To say I have lost confidence and feelings towards thid car would be a understatement;usually I get very attached to my cars,but this is the only one which has left me dissaspointed and glad to see the back of it. The fact I got offered £6000 at Donalds for it clearly shows how highly they rated the car
TBH I'm happy with my Mito 1.3JTDM-2, but now really need more than 3 doors

The Fiesta was always 2nd on my list (I preferred the Alfa's interior) but Ford's new 3-cylinder Ecoboost engine is really intriguing (and it seems a 5-door Mito won't happen)

When the revamped Fiesta gets that unit (in 2013?) I may well jump ship

Chris
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 30-10-12
AO Member

Member car:

Abarth 500 T-Jet 135

They are talking of a 5 door Mito, but no news on the launch

I'd never buy another Ford, their aftersales service is shocking, but if you have to then the Fiesta is the best they make.

Its a shame that Alfa have lost another customer because they bought the wrong car, I'm sure the story would have been different if it had been a petrol model
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 30-10-12
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

MiTo JTDm-2 85, RX-8 231

Originally Posted by Oggy_GTA View Post
Make sure it's the petrol model, more cost effective for the miles you do. Good luck
+1

The Fiesta will have a DPF too, so would have the same problem.
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 30-10-12
AO Member

Member car:

Mito Veloce

I will be going for a petrol model,but to be honest,the Ford aftercare couldn't be worse than what I recieved from Alfa Romeo. Its such a shame how they spoil things by being so pinch penny,and never admitting they have any problems with the products.Problems can be forgiven;its how you deal with them that counts.As for me,I shall never buy another,nor reccomend any to my friends of customers - we run a garage btw

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa MiTo

Tags
bhp, diesel, dpf, mito, veloce

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa Romeo 147 T...
2010 ALFA ROMEO...
2008 ALFA ROMEO...
Alfa Romeo 156...
Alfa Romeo Spider...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Alfa 159

View paul.o's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
We take privacy seriously, this is why we advise you to check your privacy settings by visiting your profile area and selecting "Profile Privacy".

New To Site? Need Help?