Mito 95 or 120? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa MiTo

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 25-03-12
AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Mito

Mito 95 or 120?

Looked at a veloce 95 hp yesterday for £8500 on an 09 plate. Also seen a 120 hp on an 09 plate for a £1000 more. What is best, and is the 120 worth a grand more?
My current car is a Qashqai bought for Nissan reliability, but to be honest it's been totally the opposite! Its in a garage having the turbo replaced now at a cost of over a grand.
The one thing putting me off the 120 hp model is the use of a turbo. Granted that the qashqai is a diesel, but a turbo is a turbo and they never seem to last the lifetime of the engine from experience.
I like some poke, will the 95hp give me that pulling power to overtake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 25-03-12
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Abarth 500 T-Jet 135

It depends on what mileage you do.

Anything below 12K a year and its not worth it, you might get more MPG, but diesel is 7-8p a litre more expensive.

What about a 120 TBi petrol?
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 25-03-12
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

MiTo QV - A dream.

Yeah if you know the roads and drop a gear or 2, the 95bhp can quite easily overtake, but I do find myself with the pedal to the metal a lot to get it to move. I had a 135bhp courtesy car and that was the complete opposite, it flew compared with mine so I think the 120bhp is the choice if you want comfortable power.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 25-03-12
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf & Mito 155

If its the 120TB petrol then definitely get the turbo. I've owned both and can tell you the econ is pretty much the same, and the turbo tranforms the character of the car.

Overtaking is MUCH easier, the gearbox is smoother, you don't have to worry about changing down to go up a hill or overtake on the motorway. The 95 is gutless in comparison and from our experience of two TB mito's the engine is reliable enough and it's quite rare that there is any turbo issues on this forum for the mito. It's just better in every respect

#5 (Post Link)  
Old 25-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

Mito

Thanks folks, yes forgot to mention both mitos are of the petrol variety.
I tend to do about 10000 miles a year. The qashqai as a diesel returns about 50 mpg average and for a 1.5 106hp it goes fairly well. Was wondering if the 95 hp mito was abit asthmatic or not
At the moment the qashqai is doing extremely well on fuel. Not filled it up for two and a half weeks and it's still reading a full tank!
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 25-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

S212

If you can stretch a bit, the 135ma is the best option and in our hands have better fuel economy than a 95.

And it's MUCH faster
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 25-03-12
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

155TB & MJ 1.6

Originally Posted by Nomadian View Post
Looked at a veloce 95 hp yesterday for £8500 on an 09 plate. Also seen a 120 hp on an 09 plate for a £1000 more. What is best, and is the 120 worth a grand more?
My current car is a Qashqai bought for Nissan reliability, but to be honest it's been totally the opposite! Its in a garage having the turbo replaced now at a cost of over a grand.
The one thing putting me off the 120 hp model is the use of a turbo. Granted that the qashqai is a diesel, but a turbo is a turbo and they never seem to last the lifetime of the engine from experience.
I like some poke, will the 95hp give me that pulling power to overtake?
Turbo used in the 120bhp MiTo is an IHI RH3 VL37 and is used on the Abarth 500. It has proved to be a very reliable turbo. It runs relatively less boost than the one on the 155TB model (this uses the VL36 variant). Providing you do regular oil changes and take care at the end of a run to let the turbo cool down it should not cause any trouble. The price of a new turbo is a reasonable £627 excluding labour.
http://www.btnturbo.com/assets/BTN_Cat_2011.pdf

On the Qashqai it uses the running gear from Renault and the turbo might be the Borgwarner which IMHO would not be in the same premium league of IHI. Fiat would have a proven track record in excelling in small turbo engines.
Nissan Qashqai and CVTs in Europe

At the moment there are report problems with the new breed of Variable Vane turbos like the ones fitted on the Skodas & the Porsche with the vanes sticking. This are an expensive re-build if something goes wrong.

The 1368cc engine would not be known for its economy but it is a trusty engine formerly known as the Starjet. In T-jet form the 120bhp rated figure would be very conservative and in reality is producing more bhp. If you were looking for a bit more oomph a TMC piggyback chip could be added with little or no impact on the economy. Expect in the mid 30s to early 40s for sensible real world economy.

As pointed out the Multi-air (e.g. 135MA) is more economical particularly with S/S around the town and will probably get into the high 40s on a long run. Expect it to be around £2-£3K more expensive than a T-jet. The turbos used on the MA are Garretts and depending on the model can run higher boost than the IHI.

IMHO a boosted engine would be more preferable than a NA engine in the MiTo since 95bhp isn't really enough for the body weight particularly if you are 2 up with luggage.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 25-03-12
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

mito lusso 1.4 16v

as someone here said it depends on what you use it for, i chose the 95bhp n/a engine because like you i have always been suspicious of the fragility of turbos, i do mainly town driving and the 95 is perfect for this, i've also be on many trips to worthing in west sussex (100 mile plus round trip) and have just got back from norwich (a 300 mile round trip) and the mito was faultless, it cruised at 80mph all day and kept up with the motorway traffic, the best thing about the mito is that unless you're a complete anorak and know about the exhaust tailpipe differences and brake disc sizes they all look similar
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 25-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf & Mito 155

Originally Posted by cj romeo View Post
If you can stretch a bit, the 135ma is the best option and in our hands have better fuel economy than a 95.

And it's MUCH faster
You don't really need it, the 120 is miles apart from the 95 and different tuning companies have found the car to produce around 132bhp in standard form. Of course get the multiair if theres one at a good price but as the 120TB is already £1K over the planned spend I wouldn't bother spending the extra unless you can find a bargin.

In terms of fuel econ, you can expect 3-5mpg difference between the 95 & 120 engines. On the 120, you will manage 35mpg if driven reasonably hard with a mixture of town and A-road driving. On a run doing around 70mph you will see around 38-40mpg.

As said the 95 is slightly better, but in reality I only got around 10-20 miles more from a tank on the 95 before the fuel light comes on over the 120.

I had the 95 in my Grande Punto and when I was going to buy a Mito I was sold on buying a 95 veloce. But having test drove the TB version there was no way I could settle for the 95, and went for a 120 instead. It's not just the power, but the torque as well. The car is just so much more entertaining and relaxing to drive. No need to ever thrash it to make any sort of progress.

So it's up to you. But whatever you go for you will have a great car.

Last edited by Mattgusto; 25-03-12 at 22:48.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 26-03-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

S212

Do the sums with road tax and economy, the 135 may just work out cost neutral against the 120 and the residuals are better.

I amd not berating the 120, I cant really reccomend the 95 other than for town use. Out of town you need to work it hard and the economy thus suffers.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 26-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

Mito

Right, I've made my decision.
I'm going for the 95. Purely to get over my turbo fears and to save a grand as the cashcow has lost a bit more value than i'd have hope for from my weekend hunting, unfortunately putting the 120tb just out of financial sight. I can cope and start at the bottom of alfa ownership. In a few years i'll work my way up the Alfa ownership tables to something face distorting as you all like about the 120 plus hp engines
Thanks for all the feedback and I just hope the sale goes ok this week and I won't get too hopeful on acceleration now.

Last edited by Nomadian; 26-03-12 at 08:26.
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 26-03-12
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

MiTo QV - A dream.

I'm going for the 95. Purely to get over my turbo fears, to save a grand and to start at the bottom of alfa ownership. In afew years i'll work my way up the Alfa ownership tables to something face distorting as you all like about the 120 plus hp engines.
Thanks for all the feedback and I just hope the sale goes ok this week.
Congrats! I love my 95bhp, despite what I said about the power, I just keep it in Dynamic mode out of town. Also, in Veloce spec, the exhaust note will bring a smile to your face, since I believe it sounds better than the turbo's. Enjoy.
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 26-03-12
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

mito lusso 1.4 16v

as above, you'll enjoy the 95bhp, just don't test drive a qv i've never driven mine in anything but 'd' mode, when i forget it feels like the handbrake is stuck on! i'm averaging 39mpg with mine which isn't bad as i do mainly town driving, always been nervous of turbos, the extra complexity, intercoolers and the fact that they are both oil and water cooled, the fact that a tiny turbo vane spins at up to 100,000 revs per minute, and that some people on here say that you should 'spool down' which means leaving the car at idle for at least a minute before switching the engine off, i know turbos have come a long way since the renault 5 and mg metro, and they are the only way to get performance, economy and power at the same time, but i'm an old git who still has doubts about them
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 26-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf & Mito 155

Originally Posted by cj romeo View Post

I amd not berating the 120....
Sorry if my reply sounded like it was something I was accusing you of, i replied just from my experience of buying cars and spending alot more then your initial target....you start off with the 95....then think for abit more I can get the 120...then abit more I can get the 135 etc etc, and before you know it suddenly you have spent a lot more then you intended to!

Congratz to the OP, you won't regret buying a Mito
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 26-03-12
AO Member

Member car:

Mito

Thumbs Up

I'd love a tb version and I'm sure they are reliable. After owning a supposedly reliable Nissan and have it eat my wallet in one year for a lackluster driving experience, nows the time to have some fun!
I was set on a 120 tb after the posts on here but after finding the cashcow isn't worth what I hoped for, plus a large turbo bill, the 95 veloce will be a good start.
Clarkson said "everyone should own an Alfa in their life". I hope this is the start of a few ownerships.
If I find a spare grand or two around the house that decision will change.
Thanks for the replies, you're a great community
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 31-03-12
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Lusso 95&Audi A4 3.00tdi

I'm going for the 95. Purely to get over my turbo fears and to save a grand as the cashcow has lost a bit more value than i'd have hope for from my weekend hunting, unfortunately putting the 120tb just out of financial sight. I can cope and start at the bottom of alfa ownership. In a few years i'll work my way up the Alfa ownership tables to something face distorting as you all like about the 120 plus hp engines
Thanks for all the feedback and I just hope the sale goes ok this week and I won't get too hopeful on acceleration now.
Well done. We have had our 95 two years and it has been 100% reliable and a pleasure to own. We are lucky to live in North Yorkshire with some lovely driving roads free of traffic and the Mito is a joy to drive quickly on them. Stringing a series of bends together ,using the gearbox and handling to its fullest will bring a smile to your face .
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 02-04-12
AO Member

Member car:

Mito

Thanks for that. Went for the test drive on Saturday and all was well. Great to drive and can't wait to get it now. Only waiting for Nissan to get their act together.
Not only were Nissan of no help to me, the parts the car needs for the turbo are on back order. Could be another two weeks taking total time off road to well over a month. Absolutely useless and unacceptable. Words I've used in phone conversations with their customer disservices.
luckily the dealer with the mito have been great and know they've got a good deal with the qashqai when it's back on the road, so its been put in storage till after Easter.
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 11-04-12
AO Member

Member car:

Mito

Update:
Qashqai turbo parts have finally arrived. Will never buy a Nissan aqain if it means I have to wait five weeks for parts!
Anyway it should be ready by the weekend and the mito ready to collect on Monday. Can't wait

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa MiTo

Tags
120, mito

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2011 Alfa Romeo...
Alfa Romeo 147 ...
2006 (06) ALFA...
2006 alfa romeo 147...
Alfa romeo 159 ti...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Project Halo Uk -...

View JabawokJayUK's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
AO Club Members have access to more site features.

Click Here to compare the differences.

New To Site? Need Help?