A Driver's Car? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  (Post Link) post #1 of 33 Old 03-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
 
AlfaBliss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,824
Images: 13
Cheese A Driver's Car?

Would you consider the Alfa Romeo MiTO (whichever variant) to be a driver's car?

I maintain that all Alfa's are 'drivers cars', and to me the MiTO is no exception. Whatcha think?
AlfaBliss is offline  
  3 Latest Threads by AlfaBliss
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Air Splitter, do I really need one? Alfa MiTo wo0dy 3 535 12-05-14 14:21
A small jitter/drop in power Alfa MiTo Massirati 3 577 08-06-13 21:47
We take power-steering for granted... Alfa MiTo AshleyF 24 1364 02-12-12 16:24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  (Post Link) post #2 of 33 Old 03-02-12
AO Platinum Member
 
Squadrone Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 29,321
Images: 45
From a driving perspective, only the lousy ePAS lets it down.
Squadrone Rosso is offline  
  (Post Link) post #3 of 33 Old 03-02-12
Temporary Noble
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Yeah, it's ok, steering is ok on mine too!
 
  (Post Link) post #4 of 33 Old 03-02-12
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 15,670
I want to like the Mito because it's an Alfa but with steering like that I cannot call it a drivers car.
cue2 is online now  
  (Post Link) post #5 of 33 Old 03-02-12
Club Member
 
AlfaDrivingFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 37,907

Member car:

vRS

There are better 'driver's cars' on the roads but I wouldn't drive anything else
AlfaDrivingFan is offline  
  (Post Link) post #6 of 33 Old 04-02-12
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 312
Only in dynamic.
MartyMito is offline  
  (Post Link) post #7 of 33 Old 04-02-12
dinomito
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaBliss View Post
Would you consider the Alfa Romeo MiTO (whichever variant) to be a driver's car?
I maintain that all Alfa's are 'drivers cars', and to me the MiTO is no exception. Whatcha think?
Yes, absolutely.
 
  (Post Link) post #8 of 33 Old 04-02-12
Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 219

Member car:

mito 155

Only just a drivers car, and thats because I want it to be.

It needs to be modded tho.
DeeBee is offline  
  (Post Link) post #9 of 33 Old 04-02-12
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 15,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee View Post
Only just a drivers car, and thats because I want it to be.

It needs to be modded tho.
As soon as its paid off it probably qualifies as the drivers car!
cue2 is online now  
  (Post Link) post #10 of 33 Old 04-02-12
AO Gold Member
 
Oggy_GTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,209
Images: 16
The steering is better than some electrics I've driven, and you quickly get used to it.

The 95 deffo isn't - more power needed, but then I don't like the slight lag on the turbo models.

So overall, no the Mito isn't a driver's car.
Oggy_GTA is offline  
  (Post Link) post #11 of 33 Old 04-02-12
Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 219

Member car:

mito 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
As soon as its paid off it probably qualifies as the drivers car!
Sorry, but can you clarify what you mean
DeeBee is offline  
  (Post Link) post #12 of 33 Old 04-02-12
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 15,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee View Post
Sorry, but can you clarify what you mean
Having tried a few Mitos in a range of conditions and not just a spin around the block with the saleman (with the exception of the Cloverleaf unfortunately) I would say that it is not really a drivers car because of the lack of satisfyingly communicative steering and well damped suspension. But I was saying that despite this dynamic shortfall ,the car is the drivers just as soon as he owns it outright.
A quick scan of this article in Evo shows the importance of good steering feel and weighting in their choice of drivers car 100 Greatest Drivers' Cars | Car Feature | evo
The Mito does seem to vary in feel according to engine weight and tyre size so I would like to try the QV one day or the new MA with the Koni damping as they may qualify as drivers cars.
cue2 is online now  
  (Post Link) post #13 of 33 Old 04-02-12
AO Member
 
whitemito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 565
Images: 24
I love my mito but have to say i think it lets alfa romeo down on the drivers car front
whitemito is offline  
  (Post Link) post #14 of 33 Old 04-02-12
Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 219

Member car:

mito 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Having tried a few Mitos in a range of conditions and not just a spin around the block with the saleman (with the exception of the Cloverleaf unfortunately) I would say that it is not really a drivers car because of the lack of satisfyingly communicative steering and well damped suspension. But I was saying that despite this dynamic shortfall ,the car is the drivers just as soon as he owns it outright.
A quick scan of this article in Evo shows the importance of good steering feel and weighting in their choice of drivers car 100 Greatest Drivers' Cars | Car Feature | evo
The Mito does seem to vary in feel according to engine weight and tyre size so I would like to try the QV one day or the new MA with the Koni damping as they may qualify as drivers cars.
Mine was paid off when I bought it
DeeBee is offline  
  (Post Link) post #15 of 33 Old 04-02-12
AO Member
 
whitemito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 565
Images: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee View Post
Mine was paid off when I bought it
You can pay monthly
whitemito is offline  
  (Post Link) post #16 of 33 Old 04-02-12
Regional Representative
For West Midlands - AOWM
 
MrShusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,178
For me the MiTo sits a little too high and the feel in all modes is not sharp enough to be a proper 'drivers car' IMO

Was hoping that the GTA version was going to put that right but it was sadly dumped

The equivelant Corsa and Punto are no better a 'drivers car' either IMO

Saying that, both the 120 and 155 bhp MiTo's are very easy/good to drive and with a little effort can be very spirited. (have not driven any other varients so can not comment!)
MrShusky is offline  
  (Post Link) post #17 of 33 Old 04-02-12
AO Member
 
KimM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 461

Member car:

Mito - 185bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShusky View Post
For me the MiTo sits a little too high and the feel in all modes is not sharp enough to be a proper 'drivers car' IMO

Was hoping that the GTA version was going to put that right but it was sadly dumped

The equivelant Corsa and Punto are no better a 'drivers car' either IMO

Saying that, both the 120 and 155 bhp MiTo's are very easy/good to drive and with a little effort can be very spirited. (have not driven any other varients so can not comment!)
What car have you got... My Mito is TOO LOW... speedbumps and ramps are a huge struggle so much so I have ripped the rubber off the bottom of me car.
I have mine at a stage 2 remap and defaintly hs enough umph for my liking - Love my car and friends do too so yeah it is a drivers car
KimM is offline  
  (Post Link) post #18 of 33 Old 04-02-12
AO Silver Member
 
tony44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,195
Much, much more of a drivers car than the 146, 147 and Brera I've owned. Cracking little car, a blast on B roads.
tony44 is offline  
  (Post Link) post #19 of 33 Old 04-02-12
AO Silver Member
 
00Alfa Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,180
Images: 45
Sorry Mito lovers.......

I wasn't impressed with the turbo petrol version I drove, lacked in power (in D mode) and IMO not a drivers car.

1 for the misses to pop into town in
00Alfa Andy is offline  
  (Post Link) post #20 of 33 Old 04-02-12
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony44 View Post
Much, much more of a drivers car than the 146, 147 and Brera I've owned. Cracking little car, a blast on B roads.
Can't say I've driven anything more sporty, but even my diesel Mito has me seeking out
twisty hilly 'B' roads, so it must have some sort of appeal, even for a pensioner!

A tad more feel through the steering would be an improvement though...



Chris
Moultoneer is offline  
  (Post Link) post #21 of 33 Old 05-02-12
AO Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,174
The turbo MiTo is definitely a drivers car, it's handling is excellent, the EPAS is only different, not worse than HPAS.

As a former racing driver, I have no problem with the system as within 30 seconds you understand it's characteristics, people who have issues with EPAS (I used to do track demos to journalists on new car launches) tend to be one handed drivers who lean on the centre point resistance of the wheel and let it spin to self centre instead of controlling it.

The steering has more feedback than the old non PAS and HPAS worm and nut and sector type steering that the Germans and Jaguar used until not so long ago.

It's no leap of faith piloting a MiTo quickly, it's very neutral, let's face it there has to be some payback to the rock hard ride!
cj romeo is offline  
  (Post Link) post #22 of 33 Old 05-02-12
AO Gold Member
 
Oggy_GTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,209
Images: 16
One thing though, I find it very grippy, less so the lusso models (skinnier tyres).

Can't help wondering what this car is like to drive

Mangoletsi Alfa Romeo : ALFA ROMEO MITO 1.4 TB MULTIAIR 170 CLOVERLEAF 3DR 200 BHP UPGRADE
Oggy_GTA is offline  
  (Post Link) post #23 of 33 Old 05-02-12
AO Silver Member
 
giordano92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,375
Images: 10
Garage
While we are on the topic, what about 159's?

Saluti, Giordano.
giordano92 is offline  
  (Post Link) post #24 of 33 Old 05-02-12
AO Gold Member
 
Oggy_GTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,209
Images: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by giordano92 View Post
While we are on the topic, what about 159's?

Saluti, Giordano.
Sorry, don't even go there.
Oggy_GTA is offline  
  (Post Link) post #25 of 33 Old 05-02-12
AO Silver Member
 
giordano92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,375
Images: 10
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy_GTA View Post
Sorry, don't even go there.
Well if we are discussing the elements of a Fiat Punto with an Alfa face and trying to discuss if thats a drivers car, we might aswell converse the features of a true Alfa, with yes so be it GM engines that have been made for ALFA and are tuned by ALFA.

At least we wouldn't be put off by the Giugiaro styling before even attempting to drive it?

Saluti, Giordano.
giordano92 is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa MiTo

Tags
car , driver

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome