iPhone and the MiTo - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa MiTo

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 15-10-10

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

MiTo Turismo Sport 1.4 95

iPhone and the MiTo

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, as it's not strictly MiTo specific but...

I know about the iPhone and Blue&Me issues with regards to using it as a media player but it's just really grinding my gears lately. I don't see why I should have to pay for an unsightly adaptor for my £12k car in order to use my £500 phone. The most frustrating part is it must surely be an issue that could have been resolved in a software update, without the need for a seperate piece of hardware. I don't see how it can be a hardware issue.

It stinks of money grabbing to me, and I'm not usually one to have a moan. I'm considering issuing a complaint about it, but I was very happy with the service I received from Alfa and don't want to give that impression, but feel as if I'll need to be fairly aggressive in order to be offered a solution to the problem.

Has anyone had any luck in getting one from Alfa? I'm also having trouble charging my iPhone via the USB port using the cable included with the iPhone. Is this normal or can you iPhone users charge with no problems?

Sorry once again for being a moaning git!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 15-10-10
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

MiTo QV - A dream.

I know it's a pain that you have to buy an adapter to play music off iPhone and that's why I haven't. I kindly got given a MiTo USB stick from Alfa when I bought the car, so have just decided to use that as it saves having a wire getting in the way and I can just leave it plugged in all the time so my advice is use a USB stick. I did actually plug in my iPhone to charge and it did work using the apple cable, but this was before iPhone got updated to 4.0 so I will have to have a go tomorrow to see.

2012 Alfa MiTo QV: Sabelt Seats, climate control, rear tinted windows, K&N induction, LED interior+number plate lights, LED rear turn signals, 5000k DRL's, alfa accessory gear knob, 16mm wheel spacers. More to come...

#3 (Post Link)  
Old 15-10-10

Member car:

Would appreciate it Matt if you could get back to me on that one Have suspicions it might have been my cable anyway.

I have been using a USB stick but I've got a load of music that's in the iTunes format so they wont work. Is there a limit on how big the storage space can be on a USB stick used with the MiTo? I heard somewhere that at one time there was a 2GB maximum or something similar.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 15-10-10
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

mito lusso 1.4 16v

what you have to realise is that the i-phone (tm) is made by apple and the blue & me (tm) system is made by microsoft, these two never seem to get on with each other
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 15-10-10

Member car:

As an employee of one of those aforementioned companies, I realise it as well as anyone. It should still be an issue that could have been resolved via a free software update though.
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 16-10-10
AO Member

Member car:

Black MiTo Sports 155bhp

Not sure why it couldn't be resolved via a software update... but I bought the adapter and it works well, the quality is cheap though and I have to use tape to keep it from falling apart!

I have an iphone 4 and it works fine with the car, no issues with charging either.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 16-10-10
AO Member

County: Mpumalanga

Member car:

159 1750TBi ti

Originally Posted by Hesky87 View Post
I heard somewhere that at one time there was a 2GB maximum or something similar.
I've used my 4GB no problem. I am considering going for a 32GB, since I also decided against the clutter of the adaptor and the cable. It really sucks that it needs to be held together with tape. I am glad I didn't fork out and get it.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 16-10-10
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 643
County: Kent

Member car:

3.0 GTV / Myth / iQ

Yes it stinks ! an 8 gb stick works in ours. The adapter ( available on ebay @ £ 50 ) works as advertised. We charge both 3g and 4g iPhones on ours no problems. Have been told that the latest Mito / Giulietta does NOT need the adapter. Assume this is only software, unless they have changed the head unit's. What really pi****s me off is that we have been driving a Toyota since August and all our Iphones sync and work flawlessly with their Bluetooth setup.... even works without the Bluetooth. So come on Fiat / Alfa it CAN be done.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's this day to day living that wears you out. Anton Chekhov.
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 16-10-10

County: Zuid Holland

Member car:

MiTo

I agree is stinks, and I'm having problems with is as well. But what I don't understand Why is everybody complaining about Alfa. It'snt their fault.

I work with Mercedes-Benz and I see the same problems every day.A car is designd with an audiosystem. During the design period they get info from Apple of the new yet to be relaesed iPhone 3GS at the time. They actualy had an working iPhone in the factory before it was relaesed so that the could make the audiosystem compatible and make a cradle for it to charge.
Then when the car came out and the iPhone came out, it didnt work. Why?? Whell Apple had changed the entire software design inside the iPhone. Same againg with update 4.0. Every new Merc worked well with an iPhone until 4.0 came out. Then suddenly all your contacts lost their names in the audiosystem. Apple didn't worn their customers about it and didn't warn us. So after the 4.0 update we had a lot of angry customers. Why?? Apple changed the software we didn't.
Same with Blue&Me which is designed by Microsoft, so you culd have guessed before you bought the car that it would not work properly with an Apple product. Especially with an iPhone since most iPod product don't even work with an Iphone. So why should an Microsoft product work with it??
I agree that the problem probably can be fixed by a software update but Apple and Microsoft rather work against each other than work together on an solution.
And why do we have to pay 90 euro for the adapter. Whell thank Apple for that. Since they are the ones that charge huge amounts for an licence. And if you make a adapter for the iPhone without a official Apple licence, well you get sued by Apple.

So either buy a expensive adapter thanks to Apple or complain about a software update to Apple. But don't blame Alfa. they just make beautiful cars.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 16-10-10
AO Member

County: Luxembourg

Member car:

BMW 420d

what i have noticed that with 4.0 update MiTo started playing my ring-tone...
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 16-10-10
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

MiTo QV - A dream.

Would appreciate it Matt if you could get back to me on that one Have suspicions it might have been my cable anyway.

I have been using a USB stick but I've got a load of music that's in the iTunes format so they wont work. Is there a limit on how big the storage space can be on a USB stick used with the MiTo? I heard somewhere that at one time there was a 2GB maximum or something similar.
Well I checked to see if my iPhone can charge tonight and it does indeed so I would try another cable. In regards to the iTunes song format check out the link I've posted as this shows you how to convert mp4 etc to mp3 which is the format the car uses. Let us know what you decide to do.

http://askbobrankin.com/convert_itun...p3_format.html
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 17-10-10
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

Alfa Romeo Mito 135 TCT

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, as it's not strictly MiTo specific but...

I know about the iPhone and Blue&Me issues with regards to using it as a media player but it's just really grinding my gears lately. I don't see why I should have to pay for an unsightly adaptor for my £12k car in order to use my £500 phone. The most frustrating part is it must surely be an issue that could have been resolved in a software update, without the need for a seperate piece of hardware. I don't see how it can be a hardware issue.

It stinks of money grabbing to me, and I'm not usually one to have a moan. I'm considering issuing a complaint about it, but I was very happy with the service I received from Alfa and don't want to give that impression, but feel as if I'll need to be fairly aggressive in order to be offered a solution to the problem.

Has anyone had any luck in getting one from Alfa? I'm also having trouble charging my iPhone via the USB port using the cable included with the iPhone. Is this normal or can you iPhone users charge with no problems?

Sorry once again for being a moaning git!

Hi I am glad someone else feels so strong about this!

I am in the same situation and dont want to having to pay £79 for a piece of kit from china that probably costs 0.39p to manufacture.
few people got them kindly free from the dealer. i havn't asked mine but doubt would get it for nowt!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa MiTo

Tags
iphone, mito

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Ao Killarney Meet...

View David P's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
AO Club Members have access to more site features.

Click Here to compare the differences.

New To Site? Need Help?