Our Mito reviews. - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
  Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa MiTo

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #101 (Post Link)  
Old 29-12-09
Status: 159 Q4 + snow
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 100

Member car:

911 & Civic Type R

Originally Posted by tytzar View Post
Hey Squicker, While every1 is entitled to their opinion i don't think ur review is accurate, I think that u have based ur opinion on the poor reliability of ur 159. I for 1 disagree with everything u say really apart from the lack of power, I have had 2 156's which i think most people would agree that is probably the best looking Alfa 4 at least 20 years. I think the looks of the Mito are spectacular, The ride can be a bit crashy over the bumps but i can guarantee u that if u try 2 keep up with a mito around the bends in ur 159 u will fail horribly.

But don't let any1 put u off writing what u want after all its a forum of Opinions and every1 has a different 1.
:-)

My 3.2 159 with Q4 will annihlate the Mito I have (95bhp) in bends. This is an absolute given, but then of course. The Mito is FWD which will always be slower in corners than a well driven 4WD or RWD car and the 159 is packing another 160+ BHP. This is not the basis of my review however.

The lack of reliability on my 159 has no bearing on the Mito review, the Mito feels very sturdy to be fair, I bet it's quite a reliable car.

I want to like the Mito, I think it's quite a brave move on the part of AR. It's not awful, just uninspiring.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #102 (Post Link)  
Old 29-12-09
Mattgusto's Avatar
Status: One GT, One Mito...
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Northamptonshire
Posts: 992
Images: 12

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf & Mito 155

Originally Posted by Squicker View Post
Be it a Ford Focus, Mini, BMW 1 series, they are all better cars in all areas except perhaps the interior. The only redeeeming feature of the Mito is the exhaust note, that's it. But even that's a bit of a letdown because the car is so woefully underpowered you feel a little like a chav who has fitted an aftermarket can to his mum's Peugot 106 series.
The 1 series and the focus are in the class above as they are much larger cars than the Mito. They compare to a 147. The base 1 series is 5k more then the mito, and the focus 6k.

I think the looks of the car are the best in its class and coupled to the interior, its a really good proposition as a premium supermini. I know you state that you prefer the Mini, but for me that car is more expensive and alot less pleasing on the eye. I think its one of the most boring cars on the road, and you will also have the pleasure of being ripped off through BMWs stupidly high servicing costs.
Reply With Quote
  #103 (Post Link)  
Old 29-12-09
Alex_79's Avatar
Status: ex-Alfa addict (cold turkey)
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Netherlands
County: Limburg
Posts: 332
Images: 4

Member car:

Seat Leon SC TDI

I want to like the Mito, I think it's quite a brave move on the part of AR. It's not awful, just uninspiring.
If I were you, go test drive a 1.4 TB, either a 120 hp or a 135 hp Multiair (although in the UK the MA is not available yet. Oops), and be sure to write a review on that one, whether it be good or bad
Reply With Quote
  #104 (Post Link)  
Old 29-12-09
AlfaDrivingFan's Avatar
Status: Happy Xmas everyone.
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Club Member Number: 1089
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Warwickshire
Posts: 34,507

Member car:

It's blue and not an Alfa

Originally Posted by steve_gus View Post
The Mito's twin brother
Very funny and all that but really? If you think the Mito looks like some banger from the 50s then you need to get your eyes tested.

There is a lot of negative feeling about the Mito from those who seem to think it doesn't belong in the Alfa stable. It is an Alfa, like it or not.
Reply With Quote
  #105 (Post Link)  
Old 29-12-09
tess's Avatar
Status: cupcakes and car porn...perfick
Regional Representative
For Wales South - AOWS
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Newport
Posts: 40,959
Images: 25

Member car:

mito 1.4 170bhp QV

Originally Posted by ADF View Post
Very funny and all that but really? If you think the Mito looks like some banger from the 50s then you need to get your eyes tested.

There is a lot of negative feeling about the Mito from those who seem to think it doesn't belong in the Alfa stable. It is an Alfa, like it or not.
thanx ADF couldn have put it better myself, i have been an alfa owner for 10 months and i do get fed up of teh "real alfa" owners dissing our choice in models but hey, am used to it now and have made my thoughts known on it and am over it....some "real alfa" owners accept our choice, and unbelievably, quite like it...amazing huh????

oh and one last thing....i am not a chav, never have been, never will be...just thought i would get that straight
Reply With Quote
  #106 (Post Link)  
Old 29-12-09
Status: 159 Q4 + snow
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 100

Member car:

911 & Civic Type R

Originally Posted by tess View Post
thanx ADF couldn have put it better myself, i have been an alfa owner for 10 months and i do get fed up of teh "real alfa" owners dissing our choice in models but hey, am used to it now and have made my thoughts known on it and am over it....some "real alfa" owners accept our choice, and unbelievably, quite like it...amazing huh????

oh and one last thing....i am not a chav, never have been, never will be...just thought i would get that straight
Oh here we go, another person getting over-sensitive because I don't happen to like my courtesy car.

I didn't call anyone a chav. I said the Mito's exhaust note made one feel a little like a chav because it's incongruous coming from such tiny cubes. I made an analogy to those rorty little hatches you see flitting about that are clearly underpowered but emit a cacophony. It was a bit of a throwaway observation, what's happened here? Y'all lost your sense of humour over XMas? Or you never had one?

I'll say it again, it's a frigging car. I don't like it. I can't wait to get my real car back. I am pleased you love the Mito so much you get so angry, really I am. I bet your surgeon will love it when your health insurance pays out early to cover a heart bypass from all the stress you give yourself over the little things in life!

Last edited by Squicker; 29-12-09 at 12:57.
Reply With Quote
  #107 (Post Link)  
Old 29-12-09
Mattgusto's Avatar
Status: One GT, One Mito...
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Northamptonshire
Posts: 992
Images: 12

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf & Mito 155

Originally Posted by steve_gus View Post
clearly you have never seen a morris oxford as the mito is almost exactly completly nothing like one!!!!

Also, what do you expect of a car with 95hp in it? Driven a typical entry level hatchback lately?

Pop down to your ford dealer and you will find that they will offer you the entry level Fiestafor a mere £11,300 with a 60HP engine. Yes, 60HP, and people are daft enough to put this car at the top of the sales charts.

The entry level mito is better powered at 95hp than the majority of base model hatchbacks.
Originally Posted by steve_gus View Post
The Mito's twin brother
Originally Posted by ADF View Post
Very funny and all that but really? If you think the Mito looks like some banger from the 50s then you need to get your eyes tested.

There is a lot of negative feeling about the Mito from those who seem to think it doesn't belong in the Alfa stable. It is an Alfa, like it or not.
you are aware the 2nd post was elaborating on the earlier comparision of the mito to a morris oxford, and not actually critising the car right? Just checking

The Mito is a proper alfa......no two ways about it in my mind. (although so far as i can tell this argument has nothing to do with that particular subject of conversation)
Reply With Quote
  #108 (Post Link)  
Old 29-12-09
Mattgusto's Avatar
Status: One GT, One Mito...
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Northamptonshire
Posts: 992
Images: 12

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf & Mito 155

Just noticed i haven't actually posted a review of my Mito so here goes....

After 3 years ownership of my GP Sporting, i had finished my university course and found myself with spare cash to buy a new car. I have looked at the Mito for awhile, along with the possbility of an Abarth Punto, as potentially being my next car. I first saw the mito in the motorshow in london, the same time the new ford fiesta was previewed. I thought the fiesta was ok but was much more impressed with the Mito.

So when my 3 year warrenty for the GP was over, i started to look at the Mito in greater detail. I did very much like the GP so i was determined to make sure I had a car which was better than it to make the cost of changing worth while. Initially i looked at the 1.4 16v Veloce mito as the best option, as it clearly looked better than the car i owned. I was also used to the character of the 1.4, so thought this would be an acceptable choice engine wise.

However, I also liked the idea of alittle improved performance on my new car, so i test drove the Mito 155 model. I was only planning on getting the 120 as a change to the 95 - so the dealer told me not to rev it past 4500 rpm and the experience would be pretty similar. After the test - the 120TB was the only engine for me, so i compromised on my model choice and ended up with a 120 Lusso. The only downside was that i wasnt able to complete my order before August 1st, so my car cost me £500 more than if i ordered a week earlier.

After now having the car for 3 months I can report that the engine was definately the right decision It feels much more sporty than the non-turbo version, and its suprising amount of low down torque means that its a much more relaxed drive than the ordinary 1.4, which much less gear changes required. The red inside i specified in the Lusso looks a different colour to what was in the brochure, but is still nice regardless.

The ride of the car is ok - better than my old GP, but then that did have 'sports suspension' so that was to be expected. Initially when I drove the car from the dealer the brakes didnt feel quite as sharp as the fiat, but they feel about the same now that they have bedded in more.

The car drives well with good steering feedback, particularly in Dynamic. However, the difference in performance between N and D is small when compared to the 155 model. The driving position is also good but does take awhile to find the right position, and i still really like little detailing on the car, such as the dials - the fact they light up when you close the door etc - and the chrome styled gear stick. The gear change itself is very light and great to use, as is the clutch.

I also think my options on the car were spot on (chrome mirrors, cruise control and rear spoiler) as they improve the car. I have been quite happy with the black paint so far which still looks like new - despite the fact the black on my GP was very prone to stone chipping. I have had no problems at all that have been reported on these forums - with the only exception being that the doors do not open properly when they freeze. As for mpg - i never expected to get the claimed figures - i certianly didnt on the GP - and no new car we have owned ever really does, but the 35-39mpg the car gives me seems about acceptable to me.

So other than the door issue - Couldnt be happier. 5 stars
Reply With Quote
  #109 (Post Link)  
Old 29-12-09
tess's Avatar
Status: cupcakes and car porn...perfick
Regional Representative
For Wales South - AOWS
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Newport
Posts: 40,959
Images: 25

Member car:

mito 1.4 170bhp QV

Originally Posted by Squicker View Post
Oh here we go, another person getting over-sensitive because I don't happen to like my courtesy car.

I didn't call anyone a chav. I said the Mito's exhaust note made one feel a little like a chav because it's incongruous coming from such tiny cubes. I made an analogy to those rorty little hatches you see flitting about that are clearly underpowered but emit a cacophony. It was a bit of a throwaway observation, what's happened here? Y'all lost your sense of humour over XMas? Or you never had one?

I'll say it again, it's a frigging car. I don't like it. I can't wait to get my real car back. I am pleased you love the Mito so much you get so angry, really I am. I bet your surgeon will love it when your health insurance pays out early to cover a heart bypass from all the stress you give yourself over the little things in life!
oh get over yourself squicker for gods sake....you dont like the car...so what??? you have made your point so just forget it...for your info im not being over sensitive and i dont need a heart by pass...my sense of humour is intact and im very happy ...unlike you...perhaps, as you have bought a lemon, are you being a bit over sensitive?, shame really, i'm sure 159's are nice cars when they are working properly...we will all be glad when you get yours back.....happy new yearhugz
Reply With Quote
  #110 (Post Link)  
Old 29-12-09
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Finland
County: Lansi-Suomen Laani
Posts: 198
Images: 12

Member car:

Alfa Romeo Mito

Originally Posted by Squicker View Post
I am hardly trolling when I have the car we are discussing sat outside my house. Also, most of the comments I made about the car were positive: interior, brakes, steering (although I said it had a strange feel I also pointed out lots of feedback etc), engine note, intrumentation. All of which I spoke positively of, I only marked it down on performance and looks. I did say I think it's a missed opportunity to truly shine, which I do, but you seem to be the one reading negativity into everything here.

The comment "winter nights fly by..." is a joke meaning that your over-serious nature must be boring to be around :-) Don't take it seriously, I am pulling your leg a bit, just seem to think you have taken this a bit personally - it's only a car, people get so excited about these things.

Remember, I am an Alfa lover, I went from a 911 to a 159 (child practicalities) and before that have many performance cars from many vendors. And yes, I do love my 159 which, being honest is nowhere near as capable as any car I have previously owned, but has a certain charm to it that they all lack. So why on earth would I troll on a forum dedicated to a manufacturer I own and love??
Well, you did say this:

The car has some charm but overall is a bit of a damp squib, and pretty much all the competition does most things better. Be it a Ford Focus, Mini, BMW 1 series, they are all better cars in all areas except perhaps the interior. The only redeeeming feature of the Mito is the exhaust note, that's it. But even that's a bit of a letdown because the car is so woefully underpowered you feel a little like a chav who has fitted an aftermarket can to his mum's Peugot 106 series.
Not very positive, I would say? In any case, the problem isn't what you say, it's how you said it. And the more you write here, the more you seem like a troll. It's pretty hard not to take you writing personally, when you make stupid personal remarks. Your estimate about my personality is about as far off as your estimation of the Mito, in other words you're talking ****. But I guess I shouldn't take things so seriously, right?
Reply With Quote
  #111 (Post Link)  
Old 29-12-09
Status: 159 Q4 + snow
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 100

Member car:

911 & Civic Type R

Originally Posted by Verderer View Post
Well, you did say this:



Not very positive, I would say? In any case, the problem isn't what you say, it's how you said it. And the more you write here, the more you seem like a troll. It's pretty hard not to take you writing personally, when you make stupid personal remarks. Your estimate about my personality is about as far off as your estimation of the Mito, in other words you're talking ****. But I guess I shouldn't take things so seriously, right?
No, you ought not to take it seriously, I don't know you and can't therefore seriously pass judgement on your personality. As I said, it was merely a term of phrase and meant in a jocular way. Forum banter, if you will, definitely not meant personally and I think if English was your first language, you would have seen it for the lighthearted disagreement it was. It happens on forums all day about all sorts of subjects.

Importantly, mine is not an estimation of the Mito as you claim, it's a real world experience formed by driving the car for over 1000 miles.

Quite why I would be trolling a group I have been a member of for the past year, of a vendor from whom I have bought two cars, and will probably buy again, is open to conjecture. I think people here have a problem with the fact that I don't like a car they may have spent money on. That's life. I spent a fair whack on an R8 a couple of years back and sold it after 6 months because it was dull. People thought I was nuts, but then they'd not driven it.

We all look for different things in cars and my personal view is that the Mito, whilst not overtly bad, simply isn't good enough to be a success for Alfa. It's yet another also-ran from Alfa, and however I say this (and I am not in the habit of appealing to strangers on forums by moderating my tone) doesn't alter the fact, that in my view, for all the reasons I quoted, it's a damp squib of a car. And calling me a troll or overly subjective, or annoyed my own car is unreliable(!) doesn't invalidate my opinion. Most of the reviews on here are also subjective and yet they pass muster. But then they are positive reviews. The title of the thread is 'post your test drive review', so I've been test driving this thing for two weeks now (another one week to go I hear today!) and therefore I think I have a pretty good idea what it's like to test drive.

To the poster who said, "The Mito is a proper alfa......no two ways about it in my mind."

Well, it's not a proper Alfa is it? Neither is my 159, it's a Fiat. The last proper Alfa rolled off the production line years back. But then my 911 wasn't a proper 911 because it's water-cooled and part VW owned, the R8 isn't a proper sportscar because it's made by Audi and they make rep-mobiles. The Gallardo isn't a proper supercar because it's also made by Audi. The car world is full of homogenised cars sharing ideas, pretty much all of them being good cars, such is the level of tech now. The question is, which of those homogenised cars, sharing their platforms are slightly better than the others? And I don't think the Mito is one of the better cars.

I've said this too many times now and no one seems to get it so there's little point us discussing it further. Just please try to accept that not all of us will like this little car that seems so close to some of your hearts. I actually find it quite heartwarming that in this day and age of such boring cars, my little review managed to engender such fierce defensive behaviour, you sure would not get this on a Fiesta forum.

Last edited by Squicker; 29-12-09 at 17:49.
Reply With Quote
  #112 (Post Link)  
Old 29-12-09
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Finland
County: Lansi-Suomen Laani
Posts: 198
Images: 12

Member car:

Alfa Romeo Mito

Q.e.d.
Reply With Quote
  #113 (Post Link)  
Old 29-12-09
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 336

Member car:

MiTo lusso 155

Originally Posted by Squicker View Post
No, you ought not to take it seriously, I don't know you and can't therefore seriously pass judgement on your personality. As I said, it was merely a term of phrase and meant in a jocular way. Forum banter, if you will, definitely not meant personally and I think if English was your first language, you would have seen it for the lighthearted disagreement it was. It happens on forums all day about all sorts of subjects.

Importantly, mine is not an estimation of the Mito as you claim, it's a real world experience formed by driving the car for over 1000 miles.

Quite why I would be trolling a group I have been a member of for the past year, of a vendor from whom I have bought two cars, and will probably buy again, is open to conjecture. I think people here have a problem with the fact that I don't like a car they may have spent money on. That's life. I spent a fair whack on an R8 a couple of years back and sold it after 6 months because it was dull. People thought I was nuts, but then they'd not driven it.

We all look for different things in cars and my personal view is that the Mito, whilst not overtly bad, simply isn't good enough to be a success for Alfa. It's yet another also-ran from Alfa, and however I say this (and I am not in the habit of appealing to strangers on forums by moderating my tone) doesn't alter the fact, that in my view, for all the reasons I quoted, it's a damp squib of a car. And calling me a troll or overly subjective, or annoyed my own car is unreliable(!) doesn't invalidate my opinion. Most of the reviews on here are also subjective and yet they pass muster. But then they are positive reviews. The title of the thread is 'post your test drive review', so I've been test driving this thing for two weeks now (another one week to go I hear today!) and therefore I think I have a pretty good idea what it's like to test drive.

To the poster who said, "The Mito is a proper alfa......no two ways about it in my mind."

Well, it's not a proper Alfa is it? Neither is my 159, it's a Fiat. The last proper Alfa rolled off the production line years back. But then my 911 wasn't a proper 911 because it's water-cooled and part VW owned, the R8 isn't a proper sportscar because it's made by Audi and they make rep-mobiles. The Gallardo isn't a proper supercar because it's also made by Audi. The car world is full of homogenised cars sharing ideas, pretty much all of them being good cars, such is the level of tech now. The question is, which of those homogenised cars, sharing their platforms are slightly better than the others? And I don't think the Mito is one of the better cars.

I've said this too many times now and no one seems to get it so there's little point us discussing it further. Just please try to accept that not all of us will like this little car that seems so close to some of your hearts. I actually find it quite heartwarming that in this day and age of such boring cars, my little review managed to engender such fierce defensive behaviour, you sure would not get this on a Fiesta forum.
Had mine about 9 months now, and although i like the car, i prefer the fiesta ST i previously had. Just because it was better to drive.

There are a few problems with it, niggly annoying little faults which from what i've read previously about alfa's makes it a proper alfa if there was ever such a thing.

The main problem i have with alfa so far however isn't the car, its the damn dealership.
Reply With Quote
  #114 (Post Link)  
Old 29-12-09
stegs's Avatar
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Durham
Posts: 397

Member car:

Mito 120 TB Veloce

Always remember the Mito owners bought the car because it looks the DB's.
I assume Squicker bought the 159 because it looks the DB's to him.
Also some of us Mito owners couldn't afford the Alfa that looks better than all the others.
The Brera.

Reply With Quote
  #115 (Post Link)  
Old 30-12-09
tess's Avatar
Status: cupcakes and car porn...perfick
Regional Representative
For Wales South - AOWS
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Newport
Posts: 40,959
Images: 25

Member car:

mito 1.4 170bhp QV

Originally Posted by stegs View Post
Always remember the Mito owners bought the car because it looks the DB's.
I assume Squicker bought the 159 because it looks the DB's to him.
Also some of us Mito owners couldn't afford the Alfa that looks better than all the others.
The Brera.

or the spider......now thats the db's...am saving hard
Reply With Quote
  #116 (Post Link)  
Old 30-12-09
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 4

Member car:

Mazda MX-5

Eye of the beholder

As an innocent bystander, I read these reviews with a lot of interest.

I am thinking of a mito, I think its a very pretty car.

It will be very interesting to see how it compares to the 2 mini's I have owned.

I have always been a big fan of alfa cars but have never owned one, despite owning a couple of fiats in my time. (it was the poor service/reliabilty of my fiats that put me off buying an alfa at the time.)

I do have great hopes for the mito, my local dealership is a new one, part of a group which sells bmw, mini, saab, volvo and others, so hopefully they know a bit better than my previous dealer how to treat a customer.

The car itself is more my styke than a current golf sized car (the mito is approx the same dimensions as a mk 2 golf) and the new multiair engines sound interesting as does the Quadrifoglio Verde.

As lloyds alfa have not been open long, they only have a junior on demo, but will let me know when they get something more interesting.

As somebody who does not own a alfa I will post my thoughts in the next 2 or 3 weeks when I get the chance to drive one. I am really looking forward to it.
Reply With Quote
  #117 (Post Link)  
Old 31-12-09
Status: Not Driving my alfa
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 2,136
Images: 5

Member car:

mito 1.4 120bhp veloce

@Squiker, that was a good honest review from your point of view, i.e. used to driving a larger car. I agree that the 95hp n/a engine is probably underpowered, although i haven't driven it. But the fact is, compared to other cars of the same price, the mito outperforms almost all of them in power and 0-60 time.
The mini is a car I was seriously considering before I looked at the mito, and I can agree that the mini's handling is unique and basically no other car of the same size can beat it, but if you compare a mini with a similarly priced mito, you will get more power and better equipment. Also, the mito's handling has been said to be the best handling Alfa and certainly up to the standards of most other hatchbacks.
Also the mini is tiny, the 2 back seats will leave your passengers cramped and there is basically no boot space. The mito can fit 2 adults comfortably and has a pretty good boot for the car's size.

So taking into account what you get for the money, what are you suggesting makes the mini a much better car than the mito? Reliability? perhaps, but it's hard to determine the long term reliability of the mito yet. As for looks, that is everyone's opinion, but for the right group of people (i.e. young people) it is one of the best looking cars available. Furthermore the mini has absolutely no uniqueness factor (you see a mini on almost every street), whereas the mito is far rarer and shows that you have good taste because you have an alfa.. Lol.
Reply With Quote
  #118 (Post Link)  
Old 31-12-09
TuonoV's Avatar
Status: Really needs to clean the fleet!
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bromley,Kent
Posts: 497
Images: 6

Member car:

Mito 155 Veloce / 156 2.0

I agree with Mongoose.

The Mito wins hands down on the value for money front.


A couple of years ago (when the cooper s's were supercharged not turbo), I was seriously considering a Cooper S. The mini is a very good car. I drove a cooper s with a limited slip diff, and I couldn't believe the amount of grip - twisty wet country roads, and it was gripping like no other car i have driven! Like it not, a Mini with certain options is quicker round a corner than the mito. Plus that supercharger whine sounded great.

But - downsides are:
- the fuel economy (supercharged mini - very poor, turbocharged - better, but i am not sure exactly how much)
- cost (a Mini in my chosen spec - very similar to my current mito, but minus bluetooth and leather - that was £18k 2 or 3 years ago!!)
- Not at all unique. They are everywhere, and whilst the 'S' was a little better with the bonnet scoop and optional bolt on headlights, still very common.
- Space in the rear - miniscule boot, and the rear of the Mito is absolutely plush compared to the rear of the mini. I believe that the front of mito also has better legroom.

There were some good points:
- Fixed price servicing - i think £185 for 3 years worth of servicing
- Strong resell values
Reply With Quote
  #119 (Post Link)  
Old 31-12-09
stegs's Avatar
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Durham
Posts: 397

Member car:

Mito 120 TB Veloce

Also the Mini has about as much style as a loaf of bread
Reply With Quote
  #120 (Post Link)  
Old 01-01-10
Walkies's Avatar
Status: record breaker?
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 336

Member car:

mito 120 lusso / c-max

i originally thought that the mini and the mito were in competition with each other but the packaging of the mito is far better than the mini. The mini it must be said is more of a drivers car and is only for those who occasionally carry people in the back. A slightly more practical Mx-5 if you like. Would never buy a mini as they are everywhere but i do appreciate why people do buy them. I'm no died in the wool alfisti and the mito is my fist alfa. I think alfa have made a good job of the car and pitched it right price wise.
Reply With Quote
  #121 (Post Link)  
Old 06-01-10
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Northamptonshire
Posts: 138

Member car:

Alfa Red 155TB Veloce

Originally Posted by ADF View Post
Very funny and all that but really? If you think the Mito looks like some banger from the 50s then you need to get your eyes tested.

There is a lot of negative feeling about the Mito from those who seem to think it doesn't belong in the Alfa stable. It is an Alfa, like it or not.
I was being sarchastic posting the image to show HOW MUCH IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE a car from the 50s.

please read the thread before you comment.

Ive also bought one. So im not exactly criticising the looks am i?
Reply With Quote
  #122 (Post Link)  
Old 06-01-10
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Northamptonshire
Posts: 138

Member car:

Alfa Red 155TB Veloce

Originally Posted by Mattgusto View Post
i had finished my university course and found myself with spare cash to buy a new car. :
Now theres a rare statement
Reply With Quote
  #123 (Post Link)  
Old 06-01-10
Status: A wee bit horny!
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 2,281

Member car:

Mito 120 Veloce - Petrol

You know were all aloud our own opinions...

However I fail to see how some people can state that the Mito is unlikely to be a success for Alfa. The car is already a success it has sold like "hot cakes".

The car has exceeded what they were expecting and thats in the middle of a Recession...
Reply With Quote
  #124 (Post Link)  
Old 07-01-10
TuonoV's Avatar
Status: Really needs to clean the fleet!
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bromley,Kent
Posts: 497
Images: 6

Member car:

Mito 155 Veloce / 156 2.0

I agree MRobins

In fact, I was originally looking for a used car, but, as I had a scrappage allowance eligable car, it was cheaper for me to buy a brand new one than a used one!
Reply With Quote
  #125 (Post Link)  
Old 10-01-10
Status: 159 Q4 + snow
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 100

Member car:

911 & Civic Type R

Originally Posted by Mongoose135 View Post
@Squiker, that was a good honest review from your point of view, i.e. used to driving a larger car. I agree that the 95hp n/a engine is probably underpowered, although i haven't driven it. But the fact is, compared to other cars of the same price, the mito outperforms almost all of them in power and 0-60 time.
The mini is a car I was seriously considering before I looked at the mito, and I can agree that the mini's handling is unique and basically no other car of the same size can beat it, but if you compare a mini with a similarly priced mito, you will get more power and better equipment. Also, the mito's handling has been said to be the best handling Alfa and certainly up to the standards of most other hatchbacks.
Also the mini is tiny, the 2 back seats will leave your passengers cramped and there is basically no boot space. The mito can fit 2 adults comfortably and has a pretty good boot for the car's size.

So taking into account what you get for the money, what are you suggesting makes the mini a much better car than the mito? Reliability? perhaps, but it's hard to determine the long term reliability of the mito yet. As for looks, that is everyone's opinion, but for the right group of people (i.e. young people) it is one of the best looking cars available. Furthermore the mini has absolutely no uniqueness factor (you see a mini on almost every street), whereas the mito is far rarer and shows that you have good taste because you have an alfa.. Lol.
Hello

I've now given back my Mito as my own, somewhat unreliable, 159 was ready for collection, and I feel I can qualify my review a little more.

After reading the responses to my 'review' here I started paying a little more attention to my Mito and the first thing I did was to always drive it in 'D' mode. Now, remember this is only the 95bhp car so we can't expect miracles. However, it absolutely made a difference to my personal experience of the car. No longer did I feel I was having to wind the thing up like a clockwork toy, the car was more responsive and, whilst not being faster per se, the general driving experience was more enjoyable. I was able to pass other cars in a safe and planned fashion and cornering felt better because I had some power there when I wanted it, on exit. I actually passed a somewhat sluggish GTV 2.0 one icy day.

I reset my trip computer and the car was pretty much the same in terms of fuel consumption as when I used to drive it everywhere in 'N'. It actually used some 2% more fuel but, by this time, we were into the snowy weather here in Sussex and this necessitated lots more on\off driving through non-gritted roads. Ergo, use D all the time and, Alfa should fit a dash menu option to set D as the default mode when starting.

Negatives, the steering in D is heavy and springy. I think there's less power assistance, but there's not more feel, the steering still feels detached and 'floaty'.

Ok, so, all well and good, I'd been in the car long enough to forget my 159 and just be a Mito driver and, I took on board a lot of what people here said, and it actually gave me a better experience for it. One journey included a 'for the hell of it' 50 mile cross country run through up to 6 inches of snow and the car made it, only getting stuck once. The traction control was a real burden here because, unlike the 159, you cannot turn it off. The Mito then tending to cut power instead of wheelspin, when I wanted some wheelspin to dig in and cut through the snow.

Now, on the last full day of Mito 'ownership' I bought my girlfriend a 'runabout' car and, the car we decided on was a 1.7 Ford Puma. I drove this directly from the Mito and well, the Puma kicked the Mito's *** in every department except equipment levels, interior design and braking. The handling of this 10 year old car was pin sharp and ****ed on the Mito from a great height. The acceleration was far more urgent but, the car has another 30 horses, so we'd have to compare with the TB Mito to be fair. And the general driving experience was superb, leaving the Mito feeling lardy and ponderous. I actually didn't want to stop driving the Puma and left Lisa in the Mito until my 159 3.2 was ready the next day.

So, lessons learned from the forum to be sure, but, I still feel that the Mito could have been a modern day Puma, a real lively fun car that you never want to get out of. That said, comparing the Mito to other similar priced cars (which I did right after reading some responses here) I think you are getting a good deal. It does have good space in the back and all the practicalities etc. So yes, I capitulate on those points people here have raised. WRT to statements that the Mito is the best handling Alfa, that's not true. As soon as I got back in my 159 Q4, I knew I was in a car that could out handle the Mito. Corner speeds are some 10-15mph higher, and in one 100mph corner (cloverleaf interchange in non-disclosed location) the Mito could barely manage 80mph. Wet, dry or particularly snow, the 159 annihlates the Mito. Not just in pure stats, steering feel in the 159 is direct, weighty and full of feedback. You can feel every slide coming on, even right on the limit. So I'd say that such statements regarding the Mito being the best handling Alfa, are simply not correct, but I have to concur with most other points you raise.

Anyway, happy new year to all Alfa owners and enjoy the lovely snow, I sure have been!

Last edited by Squicker; 10-01-10 at 21:34.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa MiTo

Tags
mito, reviews

Thread Tools


Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2005 Alfa 156 2.4...
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

My Latest Transport

View Verbout's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds
   

Gallery

Social Groups
   

Members
   


Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Clicking the small triangle on the right hand side of every post will take you to the top of the page.
Very handy as you can instantly reach the site navigation bar!


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 22:58.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94