Low Oil then Knocking - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GJR68

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 07-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Low Oil then Knocking

Go on, ruin my evening, all my fault.

Noticed a slight knocking, oil was only just below the low mark. I added some more but too late i guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpmj0U45js4

My big hen has gone. I'm not far from Alfaworkshop, and Autolusso is a little farther...loadsa £££££ to fix no doubt.

WHAT an idiot, i had a 2.0 TS 146 before, i know to check my oil!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Hampshire
I have plenty of sympathy. Twinnies can be a nightmare on the oil. Completely inconsistent in their usage depending on driving conditions. Long fast drives for me will use loads and has almost caught me out on a few occasions. As a double whammy they cope poorly with low oil.
I check every two weeks without fail now. Sometimes, no top up, other times 1/2 a litre. Like all of us, life gets in the way sometimes and you just get distracted.
On the up side, you may not have the damage you think. Lots of other things could cause that noise.
Scuba Steve likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yep, only checked the oil about a month a go, a lesson to us all I hope. Showed just below the min too, not a crazy amount

Let's pray for something less expensive. I'm right in the middle of getting an extension done.

I think I'll try and keep her running though. Roughly £1500 with autolusso, God knows with alfa workshop, probably similar. She's not a pretty example but i do love bombing around in her with the roof down. I was going to use her this weekend and drive down to Devon with my brother for his stag do. I'll have to take the cup instead now...every cloud!

Last edited by Dogbreath; 07-07-16 at 21:58.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
Yep, only checked the oil about a month a go, a lesson to us all I hope. Showed just below the min too, not a crazy amount

Let's pray for something less expensive. I'm right in the middle of getting an extension done.

I think I'll try and keep her running though. Roughly £1500 with autolusso, God knows with alfa workshop, probably similar. She's not a pretty example but i do love bombing around in her with the roof down. I was going to use her this weekend and drive down to Devon with my brother for his stag do. I'll have to take the cup instead now...every cloud!
Yes £1,500 inc VAT from us for a properly rebuilt engine, no point fitting a used engine in my opinion as you don't really know what you are getting

Ned
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 12-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Bugger, Alfaworkshop confirm its terminal!

£1500 from Autolusso for new engine and it needs dampers and bushes doing too to make it mechanically sound.

I still have the cup but gutted. Could have been preventable with weekly oil checks.

Some thinking time
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
Bugger, Alfaworkshop confirm its terminal!

£1500 from Autolusso for new engine and it needs dampers and bushes doing too to make it mechanically sound.

I still have the cup but gutted. Could have been preventable with weekly oil checks.

Some thinking time
I remember your Cup

Ned

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
knocking , low , oil