CODE Issues Wiring Diagram? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 04-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands
CODE Issues Wiring Diagram?

Hi

I am having some issues with a troublesome grey spider Phase 1 1997. Bought as a non-runner following an overheat five years ago, I sorted the head, water pump, rad, new cambelts etc etc but it will not start due to the CODE light being on.

As I also have a 1998 Ph1 spider on the drive ( ) I took out the ECU, Code box, aerial and key and used those to try and start it, and it failed, CODE light still on. Put them all back in the red spider and it started straight away.

So I have concluded that there must be a wiring fault, or faulty relay or popped fuse in the grey one. The fuel pump fails to prime on turning the key. I have swapped the relay around and still no joy.

Firstly have I drawn the correct conclusion, and secondly, where can I find a wiring diagram for the CODE system to help trace the fault.

Thanks in advance guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Aalborg
Garage
If you have the workshop manual then the wiring is in Volume 3 part II (Electric System Diagnosis 97 section 55-28)
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 04-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have found a similar volume over on Alfa145.com and the colours of the wires match up so I guess the set up is the same.

I have established that the permanent live and the switched live are functioning correctly. I have not checked to continuity of the wire from the code box to the ECU as rain stopped play. I also learned from that forum that the key has to be at right angles in the aerial to be read correctly, I just laid it down in the aerial, so a revisit will be required.

So I guess from this, all the other fuses, relays sensors etc must be working correctly for power to be in the CODE box?

(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 06-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

It appears there is a break in the wire from the CODE box to the ECU, what are the chances. If I disconnect both and send 12v down one end of the wire, there is not 12v appearing at the other! Time for a bit more testing, then break the soldering iron out......
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
The wire go through the G133b connector.
Have you tried to see if the connector is corroded?

Between the code box and connector G133b the wire should be white/green and between connector G133b and the ECU the wire is lightblue/yellow
Connector G133b seems to be located in the engine bay according to the location of components drawing

I assumed your Spider is a 2.0TS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Code_Box_wiring.jpg (51.8 KB, 7 views)
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 06-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Hi, I cannot find the connector, but I guess there must corrosion there, so I have cut the wire and soldered a new one in place and the CODE light goes out as it should, the car still does not start with no voltage at the fuel pump, but at least I can follow the flow chart in the manual and it should be fairly straight forward from there. I will find out tomorrow I guess.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 12-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Right gents, but of an update.

I now had my CODE light go out as it should, but there was still no power to the fuel pump. Checked the cut off switch and all was good, so back to the wiring diagram and found the fuel pump went through part B of the same connector.

I found there was 12v coming out of the ECU to the pump, following the wire I found it also went behind the sound deadening along with the CODE wire. Thinking that the connector was under there, I took the seats out and also removed the carpet (sounds drastic but it needed a good clean and the miserable wet weather did not disappoint ). I followed the wires back out from the soundproofing and were tucked away under the centre console were the rogue connectors G133A and G133B, next to the diagnostic plug. A quick clean to both and I had power to the fuel pump.

Next problem was the fuel pump was knackered, replaced that with a used unit and the car burst into life at the first turn of the key for the first time in five years.

I have attached a picture of the offending connectors as it seem corrosion here will immobilise the car and doubtless confuse people into thinking it is a much more serious problem, and it will hopefully save others from pulling too much of their Bella apart.

Hope this helps guys, and thank you to Henrik for his help with the wiring diagrams, much appreciated sir!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4916.JPG (156.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by purple145; 12-07-16 at 16:58.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
Welcome, glad you sorted it out.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
code , diagram , issues , wiring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page