Water loss but no leaks? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 25-04-16 Thread Starter
County: UK
Water loss but no leaks?

Hi everyone,

My name is Farryl, I have a '97 916 phase 1 Alfa Spider 2Ltr Twinspark. 126 000 miles and still going great!
I began noticing the coolant level going down more and more, and with the accompanying vapour from the exhaust, my first reaction is a blown head gasket.
Fortunately the motor has never overheated as I dont use the car daily. On furher investigation i noticed no "mayo" in the oil and looks normal, the running of the motor is normal and temp etc is normal too.
I have checked the cooling system for leaks.. nothing. So I decided to remove the plugs and do a compression test.. all cylinders show between 5.5 and 6.5 so I dont think its that.
Im hoping someone out there may have some ideas on this before I remove the head and have the head, gaskets, valves etc done.
Also, is there a plugpoint on the phase1 for an OBD2 test? I believe on the GTV there is only a 3 pin connection.

Look forward to hearing
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol
Check passenger side carpet for moisture. Common to leak from the heater valve above there. Yes you need a KL cable and 3 pin adapter but don't buy a cheap one. You will also need a paid for copy of MES to connect to phase 1 ECU's.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
I know you said you have checked the cooling system for leaks, but it it must be leaking from somewhere otherwise it wouldn't be dissapearing.

The first place I would look is the radiator. If it has a copper type they rarely last more than about 6 years before falling apart due to road salt.

It is possible the coolant is leaking and evaporating without leaving a trace, although often you do get white staining.

Have a look at the back of the radiator at the bottom, especially behind the cooling fan.

Another area for a hidden leak could also be the seal on the water pump. Again it usually evaporates as it leaks so you don't actually see any wet coolant.

You will never be cool driving a Vauxhall.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

leaks , loss , water