Can unplugging battery cause blown fuse? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 02-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Troms
Garage
Can unplugging battery cause blown fuse?

i have a problem when i unplug my battery after ive changed all the fuses in the entire car, A,B,C fuse boxes.

then this happens. Car is off, break lights are on, side indicators are off and wont work or permanently on, the hazard lights dont work. only way to shut everything down is to unplug the negative battery terminal, when i want to start the car i plug it back on and this happens again.
dash lights, headlights, instrument lights, window switches lights. everything else works.

which fuse is this and why is this happening?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160327_164431.jpg (61.0 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
Not sure that it will be a fuse, as all a fuse does is complete a circuit. Has any work been done on the car recently? or is it something that has just started to happen? Has the car been stored up over winter? Have you had the rear light housing off to check all is ok with cabling in there?

County: -
You must go to a car service because you can do more damage to your car.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 479
County: Norfolk
Just an idea, are you sure that all the plugs on the back of the main fusebox are in their correct positions. What year is your car? Some things to check;

• Does the sidelight indicator light on the instrument cluster work?
  • Are the number plate lights working?
  • Confirm if the correct relay (I64 - sidelight relay) is working and in correct position?
  • All relays on main fusebox in correct positions?

Last edited by Stixy; 03-04-16 at 09:04.
(Post Link) post #5 of 14 Old 03-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixy View Post
Just an idea, are you sure that all the plugs on the back of the main fusebox are in their correct positions. What year is your car? Some things to check;

• Does the sidelight indicator light on the instrument cluster work?
  • Are the number plate lights working?
  • Confirm if the correct relay (I64 - sidelight relay) is working and in correct position?
  • All relays on main fusebox in correct positions?
now that i think about it, the only relay i touched was 1 of them in the boot, i might have turned it the wrong way when i put it back in , i thought the relay only had 1 side to go in. i might be wrong. its probably the first thing to have a look at. But this already happened before i did that.

This happens a year a go.. i change all the fuses, i dont start the car for months..while i fix every problem on the car, plug the battery on and everything works like it should every interior light to side indicators to hazard.. i unplug the battery.. a few weeks later i start the car, let it run for a while, unplug the battery.. do the same thing again and this happens again.
AO Platinum Member

On my 156 I had the brake lights lock on when an earth connection from one rear light unit was loose.

Tightened it up and fine again.
Club Member
Membro Premio

If it's the earth, I've just checked the wiring manual & the Brake, Side & Indicator/Hazard lights share the same earth point (G148b), as David C suggests, it could be loose/dirty or damp. I believe that this earth is a real pain to find/get to, it's located up underneath the dashboard.
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 03-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
i see... G148b near-side of bulkhead by windscreen corner. so... thats... on a left hand drive car... ehhh.. driver side.. by the fuel cut off? up there
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieNillie View Post
i see... G148b near-side of bulkhead by windscreen corner. so... thats... on a left hand drive car... ehhh.. driver side.. by the fuel cut off? up there
Yep!
(Post Link) post #10 of 14 Old 30-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
found out today what the problem is. the brake pedal wont go back to resting position, so the car thinks im breaking all the time and the brake lights stay on.
Only when i pull the brake pedal back out again does the brake light turn off.

Picture is when i pulled the pedal out again, this is normal right? those 2 lights only.
I can turn the car off.. push the brake pedal and all 3 brake lights are on all the time.

hazards and side indicators dont work either, strange buzzing sound when the hazards are on.
the car is going in for electrical repairs this week so i guess it does not matter at this point.

Last edited by WillieNillie; 29-12-16 at 12:26.
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
You can adjust the brake light switch.
(Post Link) post #12 of 14 Old 31-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Yup, pulled it out and pushed it a bit in and it worked. but found something very strange. not even sure what it is but its bent.

Last edited by WillieNillie; 29-12-16 at 12:26.
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
Is that a metal tube. Where does the end go to. Certainly don't have it on right hand drive cars.
AO Member

County: Powys
I bought a donor that had had its full dashboard taken apart and left in bits.When i tried to put it back together i had to use pics off the internet to try and be sure i got everything back in roughly the right place - that bar cost me a lot of wasted time,as i did not have one in my bundle of bits,but had pictures of cars with that bar installed Realised eventually that i had nowhere where i could connect the bar even if i had one,so presume it is something Alfa changed the design of along the way

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
battery , blown , fuse , unplugging

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page