Another silly question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 04-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent
Another silly question

I've been looking to up date or change the boots on the car, when I enter my Reg (if I can find a site that recognises my reg number) it lists a 15" wheel!
However while waiting for the RAC today, the RPM sensor has packed up, I noticed that I actually have 16" wheels, which isn't a problem but has me wondering, when turning left I get a growl for the left front passenger wheel?! I've had the hub checked and the bearing is fine.
So my question is could the larger wheel be rubbing on something or is there a common fault with the suspension, I think I read somewhere about close tolerances in the brake caliper and disc, so could it be brake related?!
the noise is not there when driving in a straight line only when turning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage
It could be but it's not really because of the diameter I don't think or rather not just because of the diameter.
We had 16" Elegance (think that is the name) Alfa [147] wheels on our 916 TS Spider when we bought it. At the time I believed them to be standard but of course they weren't.

A couple of years ago it failed the MOT on rear rusty lower spring pans and when I was changing them (and noted by the particular MOT tech) the inner edge of the wheels at the rear were marked and the spring pans too. It seems that perhaps when cornering hard they touched. I think the 916 has some kind of passive rear wheel steering which may also not have helped.

Anyway the remedy was either spacers (which TBH it needed because the offset on a 147 is different to the 916 anyway) or new wheels.

We went with the latter, aftermarket 17" wheels with a wider offset and no more rubbing.
Worth checking.

Priorities I find, are usually someone else's.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Don't think I've ever seen a 916 spider or GTV on 15" wheels - always standard on 16". Of course if non-standard wheels are fitted, you have to check that the correct offset ensures adequate clearance.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwm View Post
Don't think I've ever seen a 916 spider or GTV on 15" wheels - always standard on 16". Of course if non-standard wheels are fitted, you have to check that the correct offset ensures adequate clearance.
Some very early 916s, pre 1997, were supplied with 15" wheels, according to the workshop manual. But I've no idea how many and if they were supplied on UK cars!
(Post Link) post #5 of 30 Old 05-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

See the issue I have is apparently my car is on the cross over! Some of it is phase 1 some of it is phase 2, the engine is cf3? If any of that makes sense!
I'm finding out so much, the wheels are teledials but possibly from a different Alfa model! Doing the brakes next week so will be checking it out!
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
If its a CF3 with an electronic throttle then must be a phase 2. CF1 and CF2 have a good old fashioned cable throttle.
AO Member

County: Cornwall
In 20 years I have NEVER seen a GTV with 15 inch wheels. The original "Hard Copy" workshop manuals, printed in Italian do indeed show a 15 inch wheel listed on the specifications page but neither EPeR or any other Eu manual does. These anomalies are very typically Italian let alone Alfa..... For example, nowhere, in any Alfa manual will you find any info about the non electric sunroof on a GTV...but they do exist. The Fiat Coupe' manuals list only one type of turbo ever fitted but there are at least 3 different models......It goes on and on but we still love 'em
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB72 View Post
... the wheels are teledials but possibly from a different Alfa model!
If you have 16" teledials on they are very possibly from an Alfa 156. I have them on my Ph 1 spider. The offset is wrong so they tend to sit a little too far into the arches, however on my car they clear the brakes and don't rub. Cosmetically I would prefer proper 17" spider/GTV teles but that's quite low down the "to do" list at the moment.

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18.jpg (143.3 KB, 7 views)
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibob View Post
In 20 years I have NEVER seen a GTV with 15 inch wheels. The original "Hard Copy" workshop manuals, printed in Italian do indeed show a 15 inch wheel listed on the specifications page but neither EPeR or any other Eu manual does.
15" x 6" steel wheels with plastic covers in ePER for the GTV & Spider.
p/n 60578774
AO Silver Member

They must look a bit lost in the arches even 17' look a bit too small.
Club Member

County: Somerset
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibob View Post
In 20 years I have NEVER seen a GTV with 15 inch wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
15" x 6" steel wheels with plastic covers in ePER for the GTV & Spider.
p/n 60578774
Here they are
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0262138194003.jpg (36.1 KB, 30 views)
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Well I'll be foobarred.....I have never seen a white GTV either as it goes!!
(Post Link) post #13 of 30 Old 08-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok so not only does black circles list a 15" wheel so does kwik fit!
The wheels have obviously been changed, and I'll probably do the same, so I'm going to try the spacer route first of all!
That said I've actually started to look for another Alfa! Not to replace the GTV but to join me! Don't ask why because I'm not sure!
I love working on the GTV there's more satisfaction in putting it back together and it all working, before the Crank sensor went the new rad and thermostat is working a treat, now.
AO Silver Member

If it is the tyres rubbing on full lock then you probably have wheels off a 156 or 147. It's a common swap, I have 17" 147 super sports on mine. They are a different offset and sit into the arches more by 10 mm. When you get spacers check your wheel bolts are the correct length.
(Post Link) post #15 of 30 Old 08-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdanny View Post
If it is the tyres rubbing on full lock then you probably have wheels off a 156 or 147. It's a common swap, I have 17" 147 super sports on mine. They are a different offset and sit into the arches more by 10 mm. When you get spacers check your wheel bolts are the correct length.
I was planning on getting 3mm spacers as I'm thinking start small!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
I was planning on getting 3mm spacers as I'm thinking start small!
If you have 16" 156/147 wheels, get 15mm hubcentric spacers.
Check what offset you have. It will be marked on the wheel.

There is 10mm difference in offset between 156 & GTV wheels, but that is too small for a hubcentric spacer, which brings you to 15mm.
15mm would also allow you to use std GTV/Spider wheel bolts (156 wheels use 23mm bolts, GTV/Spider wheels use 38mm bolts).
AO Silver Member

As above. Take the wheel off and inside it will say ET then a number. Will probably say 40.5. Standard ET is 30.5 a 10mm difference.
(Post Link) post #18 of 30 Old 08-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

This being the case where can I get hubcentric spacers from?!
AO Silver Member

Ebay. About 65 a pair.
(Post Link) post #20 of 30 Old 08-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdanny View Post
Ebay. About 65 a pair.
Don't suppose you've got a link have you! I'm having a look but don't really know what I'm looking for!
AO Silver Member

(Post Link) post #22 of 30 Old 09-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for that. I will be having a look when its a bit drier and I can get the wheels off!
I was looking through the service folder I got with the car last night and, me being organised, had put all the tyre receipts together and it looks as if the previous owner had changed the wheels then almost every 6-8 months have had new tyres fitted, this might be a good clue to the problem!
but first the crank sensor needs changing! Oil needs doing! and was considering changing what's in the gear box!
AO Member

Just for the hell I thought that I'd check the Kwik-Fit website and, for my 2001 Spider 3.0L V6 24V they ask you to choose between 205/50W16 (front and rear) or 225/45W17 (front and rear). You choose!
(Post Link) post #24 of 30 Old 28-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Sso whilst sorting the crank sensor I had the wheels off and found the stamp in the wheels and they are indeed wrong! So do I buy four spacers for the car or just a pair?!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
So do I buy four spacers for the car or just a pair?!
Four.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
question , silly