Wiper motor mech - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 30-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Wiper motor mech

Anybody messed about with the wiper mech.Took mine to bits today see if i could get it to run smoother .Al ball joints seem ok if a bit tight .Anyway will regrease them .Did notice that the big one on the end of the motor arm has some play in it .Is it supposed to ? I also noticed that theres some cam mech built into it ,what dows it do .A little lever on the cam has broken off . Looks like its snapped of ages ago do u think it will make any differnce

Thanks Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1454176777713-1287593218_1454176815137.jpg (38.7 KB, 47 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
That's the offset park system.

If working, the first wipe won't go the full arc of the screen, but the mechanism then engages and subsequent strokes do the full arc. When switched off, the wipers do one additional sweep ( after the sweep they're doing when you switch them off ) to reset that mechanism and then sweep down to the park position.

There is a tendency for the grease in the mechanism to harden with time which results in the mechanism doing more sweeps of the partial arc until it sets itself correctly ( sometimes never - especially if the grease is really cold! ).
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 31-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Whats the idea of that .The plunger was working when i striped it , but theres a little piece broken off cant really see what that does .I did notice that when the wipers are being used the parked posistion of the wipers is closer to the bottem edge of windscreen than when they are in use .Is this right

Thanks Mark

(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 31-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Also do u recomend useing silicone grease on this and the ball joints
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Seeing your other post about bonnet gap, when I had my Spider bonnet resprayed the paint shop had terrible difficulty getting the alignment right when they put it back on. In the correct position the wiper arms then caught on the back edge. I took out the wiper motor and removed the rubber washers and the copper collars which attach it to the body and this gave me about another 5mm to play with, might help with yours possibly ????
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 31-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Dont have that problem .But i reckon the bow in the bonnet flattens out with age makeing it catch the wipers .But to insult to injury the paint shop would have bakes the bonnet at 70 80 deg.This can and will deform plastic composite parts
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markalfa15 View Post
Whats the idea of that .
3 things come to mind :
Drag
Aesthetics
Pedestrian safety

Take your pick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markalfa15 View Post
I did notice that when the wipers are being used the parked posistion of the wipers is closer to the bottem edge of windscreen than when they are in use .Is this right
Yes.

County: Budapest
Hey guys!
I have quite similar fault. This joint came off and i can't recognize it s broken or not. In normally how can i reconnect it to the motor?
Now the smaller one (that i seen picture above) is on the shaft of the motor but i cant snap back the upper big lever.

thanks for advices

Anyone? :S Its getting worse than a Rubik cube.
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 24-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Try a pair of mole grips to clamp it back in place .Clean and regrease before doing this

It's working! Thanx for the advices.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Mech full disassembly and greasing?

Hi. I wondered if somebody could guide me on how to grease the mechanism. I see above MarkAlfa15 managed to get the main mech to the motor in bits, I also would like to pull apart the "axle", the wiper stubb sits on as seen on my photo (excuse the lack of precise technical vocab!) What is involved and what tools do I need? The mech is from a 23k car which stood for 12 years, it all seems quite tight and I think a general regrease is in order. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170201_175934[1].jpg (86.9 KB, 13 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
mech , motor , wiper

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page