Peco equal length downpipes - any info? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 90Likes

(Post Link) post #26 of 410 Old 21-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by james2375 View Post
Guys I did some detective work on google with very interesting results. From a discussion among MG owners on their forum, I found out that Peco turned into Cybrand, which is basically the manufacturing arm of Cybox. So I decided to call them up. The guy I spoke to told me Peco folded in 2011 and they absorbed some of their tooling and staff, they also took ownership of the Peco name. He also told me that they had worked with Alfatune to make their downpipes. I was trying to push to see if this means they are the same but given a different name and as far as I can tell the answer is yes. They are SS, lifetime warranty and use mandrel bends. Cybox can do them for 307 but if several of us get together and they make a batch it will be a bit cheaper (easier said than done). May I suggest that if you are interested the first step is to speak to Jerry/Gerry at Cybox on 0151 343 0330. He is very helpful and I think maybe Cybox have realised they have missed a trick here. I think I am going to go down this route but not instantly, mainly because I don't have my car at the moment (it's being restored and is sitting in the paint shop queue).
I am CF3.
Well done James - count me in, at 307 (or even less), they are great value compared to Alfatune. Maybe Gus is a reseller??? I will call Jerry tomorrow and put my order in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

cgc
AO Member

County: Monmouthshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Just so you know you are comparing CF2 with CF3 there (look at the manifold flanges - 2bolt = CF2, 3bolt = CF3). The manifolds end in very different positions on the engine and mean that the route they follow has to be totally different.
Cheers for the info. I expect the web site said that but in Japanese, so I was clueless (not for the first time!), they do say a little knowledge is dangerous lol.
cgc
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_ View Post

For the poster above, CGC, wondering how equal length front pipes affect the GTV sound, this is my experience.
1. They remove drone from the exhaust ( should there be an after market exhaust)
2. They tend to accentuate the tonal changes throughout the rev range. These tonal changes are already there with the v6 but are accentuated. They make a drive more pleasurable as distinct tonal changes every 500 revs are even more distinct and crisper.
3. The lower rev range is .... ..... I am not sure how to explain but drone is removed and it is a bit meatier when under load. 2000 revs let's say.
4. In the higher rev range the engine just screams

Overal they make the v6 sound more refined. Not quieter. Not louder, but refined. They make the v6 sound even better than it did before. And makes it sound like it is of a much more expensive and exotic Italian marque. These make the v6 sound even more Italian.
Thanks of the info and the experience. That's rather what I thought from the you tube vids, more refined. I'll certainly get some at some point.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Cheers for the info. I expect the web site said that but in Japanese, so I was clueless (not for the first time!), they do say a little knowledge is dangerous lol.
Both versions have their own clearance problems due to how the pipes are routed. CF2 usually cross over one another so clearance is reduced by the diameter of the exhaust plus the 10mm gap between the two pipes, CF3 quite often just wiggle around without passing over each other, but they pass under lower points on the engine than the cut-out through the sump (bell housing, diff housing), so this also means clearance is reduced.
cgc likes this.
cgc
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejam View Post
Well done James - count me in, at 307 (or even less), they are great value compared to Alfatune. Maybe Gus is a reseller??? I will call Jerry tomorrow and put my order in.
I'd be super interested to see what these CF3 ones look like if you get some, and also what you think of them when you've had them fitted.
(Post Link) post #31 of 410 Old 22-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

No worries, I'll be sure to post some pictures and audio when I get them fitted.
cgc likes this.
cgc
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejam View Post
No worries, I'll be sure to post some pictures and audio when I get them fitted.
Good man.
(Post Link) post #33 of 410 Old 23-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

[/QUOTE] For the poster above, CGC, wondering how equal length front pipes affect the GTV sound:

Overal they make the v6 sound more refined. Not quieter. Not louder, but refined. They make the v6 sound even better than it did before. And makes it sound like it is of a much more expensive and exotic Italian marque. These make the v6 sound even more Italian.[/QUOTE]

My take on the sound is that EL pipes remove the "boxster" off beat burble (like a Subaru) and produce a more even regimented "straight six" sound, which is more creamy and smooth sounding.

If exhaust pipes are unequal in length, the sound from half the cylinders is slightly delayed, resulting in a more lumpy sound.
(Think Harley Davidson compared to a Japanese four cylinder bike!) Not quite the same technically of course but for a convenient example it works nicely.

2002 Spider V6 24v
EL downpipes, Ragazzon exhaust
BIG noise!
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6

For the poster above, CGC, wondering how equal length front pipes affect the GTV sound:

Overal they make the v6 sound more refined. Not quieter. Not louder, but refined. They make the v6 sound even better than it did before. And makes it sound like it is of a much more expensive and exotic Italian marque. These make the v6 sound even more Italian.[/QUOTE]

My take on the sound is that EL pipes remove the "boxster" off beat burble (like a Subaru) and produce a more even regimented "straight six" sound, which is more creamy and smooth sounding.

If exhaust pipes are unequal in length, the sound from half the cylinders is slightly delayed, resulting in a more lumpy sound.
(Think Harley Davidson compared to a Japanese four cylinder bike!) Not quite the same technically of course but for a convenient example it works nicely. [/QUOTE]
Did you manage to put an order in with cybox? I'm thinking about a set and just wandered if they were going ahead with yours?
Regional Representative
For the South East - AOSE

County: Kent
Does anyone know if they do a V6 stainless sports cat?.. Don't fancy paying for the Alfaholics one. 307.00 for these pipes is great, on the shopping list!
AO Member

County: Vestjylland
Garage
Sent an email to Cybox to put an order in for a CF2 set.
AO Member

County: UK
Same here, e mailed Cybox to purchase a set of CF3 pipes
cgc likes this.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ3074 View Post
Does anyone know if they do a V6 stainless sports cat?.. Don't fancy paying for the Alfaholics one. 307.00 for these pipes is great, on the shopping list!
Cybox do sport cat and decat for V6 cf2, I've seen them on eBay. If you call them up you'll probably find they do them for cf3 too.

Edit: just had a look and can find decats cf2 & 3 but not sports cat but like I say if you call you will probably find they do. Other option is buy a universal 200 cell and get power flow or long life to make you one.

Last edited by james2375; 26-03-16 at 16:23.
Regional Representative
For the South East - AOSE

County: Kent
Cheers
AO Member

County: Moselle

Member car:

gtv 3L V6 24v

mine s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front pipes.jpg (46.8 KB, 31 views)
(Post Link) post #41 of 410 Old 27-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcha View Post
For the poster above, CGC, wondering how equal length front pipes affect the GTV sound:

Overal they make the v6 sound more refined. Not quieter. Not louder, but refined. They make the v6 sound even better than it did before. And makes it sound like it is of a much more expensive and exotic Italian marque. These make the v6 sound even more Italian.

(Think Harley Davidson compared to a Japanese four cylinder bike!) Not quite the same technically of course but for a convenient example it works nicely. [/QUOTE]
Did you manage to put an order in with cybox? I'm thinking about a set and just wandered if they were going ahead with yours?[/QUOTE]

No havent done it yet - Easter preparations got in the way!
To the last poster with the picture - are those from Cybox / Peco?
cgc
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirka View Post
mine s
That looks like the CF3 fitment on a CF2 design.........interesting. What do you think Pud237?
AO Member

County: Monmouthshire-
TBO i like the boxer-esque burble, Because my flexi pipes are blowing I just want the cheapest and easiest way to replace the front down pipes! My mechanic said I could just buy new ones and have them welded in but it maybe more sense to just replace the whole thing, with stainless steel straight replacements. And with the EL pipes I'm slighty put off by the way they overlap each other and would they catch on speed bumps or uneven road surfaces for example?!
AO Member

Member car:

gtv 3L V6 24v

Quote:
That looks like the CF3 fitment on a CF2 design.........interesting. What do you think Pud237?
My GTV is a CF1 ,same as Cf2 whithout lambda
cgc
AO Member

Quote:
My GTV is a CF1 ,same as Cf2 whithout lambda
oh ok. I saw the three bolt fitment and thought CF3. I don't know anything about CF1's, are they the 12v v6?
AO Member

Member car:

gtv 3L V6 24v

Quote:
oh ok. I saw the three bolt fitment and thought CF3. I don't know anything about CF1's, are they the 12v v6?
Hi! CF1 are the earlier 3L V624v made from last month of 96 until first month of 98.Adm camshafts come from 164 3L V624s QV (until engine n4047), Motronic 3.7.1 ,cable trottle managed,light 7kg flywheel ,and only 1 lambda on the cata .Different electrical diagram,mine is so called phase 1.5 because equiped with Momo interior ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31072011387.jpg (107.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 31072011383.jpg (111.9 KB, 17 views)
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
off topic

the momo leather with the stiching was always a cost option on all PH1 cars
AO Member

Member car:

gtv 3L V6 24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpit999 View Post
off topic

the momo leather with the stiching was always a cost option on all PH1 cars
Yes and quite rare !
AO Member

Member car:

gtv 3L V6 24v

a adjusted the length by welding the flange on the Cat side ,on the car .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 280820131524.jpg (103.3 KB, 18 views)
cgc likes this.
(Post Link) post #50 of 410 Old 28-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ph1.5

Quote:
Hi! CF1 are the earlier 3L V624v made from last month of 96 until first month of 98.Adm camshafts come from 164 3L V624s QV (until engine n4047), Motronic 3.7.1 ,cable trottle managed,light 7kg flywheel ,and only 1 lambda on the cata .Different electrical diagram,mine is so called phase 1.5 because equiped with Momo interior ..
Looks very nice!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
downpipes , equal , info , length , peco