'97 ph1 Spider window advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 27-12-15 Thread Starter
County: -
'97 ph1 Spider window advice

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on the driver side window regulator. I'm pretty sure motor is knackered as window will lower but will not raise again. Window rattles when driving and leaks from the top seal onto the driver's seat when raining hard.

My plan was to source and fit a motor and regulator, new clips etc. All cleaned up and greased then re-align the window as per the manual to try get a good seal before looking at door seals. I'm planning on a new hood in the new year and want to get the window working and aligned before getting the new hood.

I'm struggling to find a regulator motor / regulator anywhere so firstly -

Anyone stripped and reconditioned one? Are the motors serviceable?

Secondly -

Anyone got an offside ph1 spider (97) window regulator motor and assembly that they want to part with for hard cash?

Issue is spoiling what has been for the last 6 months of ownership a crackin' car.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Suffolk
Hold tight, I know there are some lads breaking spiders on here.....Maybe after this Christmas break they will all appear.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

For what it's worth, I had a problem with a phase-1 Spider window once - it was a corroded-off brush holder in the motor and I managed to open it up and repair it by soldering on something suitable. However, that was a completely dead motor. Even so, yours could have a similar weakness causing it to lower but not have enough power to raise?

Also, for what it's worth... neither my phase-1 nor my early phase-2 Spider had any problem with water leaks around the window - yet my later phase-2 Spider - with the auto drop windows - suffered regular leaks at the top front corner of the window, both sides. The whole idea of the auto-drop is that it provides a tighter seal - yet, I found that the result wasn't an improvement.

So, don't lose hope that yours can be tweaked to seal again. I think another common problem is the loss of one or both upper plastic stops, which causes the window to raise to an angle and that contributes to sealing problems. The metal part of the stop can be readjusted to compensate.

You might also find that the furry rubber insert of the front glass guide has slid out and ended up in the bottom of the door. My memory is hazy as to whether this was a Spider problem or one of the many other Alfas/FIATs I've owned, but it's something to look for. After a thorough cleaning, it can be stuck in place with contact adhesive (Ados F2 etc.). This would explain the rattle you mention - the glass knocking against the channel - and will also cause the window to tip forward and even jam during raising, contributing to the other problems. Worth checking before condemning the motor?

I think once you have the regulator out, it will become clear how to adjust it for a better fit. The workshop manual makes it seem incredibly complicated, but you basically just need to adjust the 'camber' of the glass (the amount the top slopes inward) and ensure it rises straight up without tipping forward.

Note; adjusting the vertical steel runners by the two set-screws near the door bottom is only a fine-tuning measure - it is far more effective to adjust the angle of the toothed glass mounting plate on the regulator first, as that has a more noticeable effect.

Last edited by alexGS; 28-12-15 at 10:23.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

advice , ph1 , spider , window