Indicators - Self cancelling? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 22-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
Indicators - Self cancelling?

I let my other half drive the GTV at the weekend and she wasnt impressed that the indcators didnt self cancel. I queried this on the test drive and the previous owner (who bought the car new) assured me it came from the factor like that.

Thing is my missus had a gtv a when they were new and reckons her's self cancelled

Can anyone shed any light whether they should or not!!

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

'01 GTV 3.0V6

Re: Indicators - Self cancelling?

They should self-cancel but often don't. Methinks the previous owner may have been fibbing. A new indicator stalk would solve it but I wouldn't bother.
AO Member
Re: Indicators - Self cancelling?

Hi there,

The indicators on these cars have a mind of their own!

I find they are either stiff to actually use if the wheel in in a certain position and automatically correct with the slightest touch or they don't automatically correct.

the majority of them time they work normally. All part of the Alfa charm

My advice put up with it and learn to love it like the rest of the car

Cheers Josh
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
Possible solution

I thought I'd follow up this thread with the solution to mine, which wouldn't self-cancel the right turn but the left was working fine.

Here's how the self-cancelling mechanism works. When you put on the indicator a plastic lug pops out of the end of the stalk against the steering column. The steering column has either tabs or recesses which, as you turn the wheel, flick the plastic lug. Normally this produces enough force to push the lug back in, cancelling the indicator.

If your indicators aren't cancelling take of the shroud around the steering column. It's five screws underneath and two on the facing you (you'll need to rotate the steering wheel to get to them). Have nose behind the steering wheel and make sure the plastic lugs pop out when you turn on the indicator. If they're broken or missing you may need a new stalk assembly, sorry.

If they pop out and you can see the tabs on the steering column brushing past them, see if you can give the whole indicator/wiper stalk assembly a wiggle. It sounds hard to believe, but the problem with mine was just that the two screws holding the assembly in place were loose! The assembly needs to sit securely with no movement otherwise the tabs don't cancel the lugs; the whole assembly just moves out of the way.

Access with the steering wheel on is almost non-existent, but it can be done with some ingenuity. You won't get a normal screwdriver in either.

One screw to tighten is below the steering column and you'll need a very short screwdriver. I'm not sure of the proper name, but I used the bit you put in a drill to make it an electric screwdriver, that just about fitted, and a pair of pliers to turn it.

The other screw is at the top of the assembly and I couldn't even get the drill bit in there. I managed to do it up nice and tight with an allen key that had a cross-head screw drive, effectively a primitive right-angled screwdriver.

And that's it! If your indicators aren't cancelling take the column shroud off to have a look. If the assembly is loose get yourself the tools and fix it, it'll take you ten minutes.
AO Gold Member
County: Western Cape
Batwad you must be a genius, I'm trying that tomorrow. I looked in there at one time when I first bought the car and gave up because it looked too complicated for me. And I'm a mechanical engineer...
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
I might try that on my car - Thanks.

Who said the indicators dont self cancel from the factory !! Wat a load of Baloney !

Dont tell me after 100 years Alfa Romeo still cant build a car that has self canceling indicators !!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

cancelling , indicators