2.0 TS CF3 no start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 21-11-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

2.0 TS CF3 no start

2003 GTV 2.0 TS - CF3/drive by wire engine

so... engine light had been on and off for a month or two. MultiECUscan indicated a problem with throttle potentiometer. So after a search on here I went up under the dash on driver's side, found the white connector that apparently causes trouble, played with it a bit, engine light went off and stayed off, no fault codes showing.

Couple of days later, i.e. this morning, it didn't start. No coughing or spluttering or signs of life when cranked. after a few tries it started and ran perfectly, but did the same when I left to come home this afternoon. MES says U1600 - Electronic Key; suggesting it's a code immobiliser problem.

So I guess I disturbed something when poking around trying to sort the throttle pot. problem, but what might I have done exactly? Can anyone tell me where the code box is and whether there's a receiver coil around the ignition barrel in the normal way, where the connections between these components run etc etc?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 2418
County: West Sussex
Code box for the immobiliser is under the dash on the drivers side. Its bright yellow you can't miss it. Two plugs go into it smaller one goes off to the pick up coil around the ignition and the larger one sends a signal to the ecu and has the power and and earths.
If its the immobiliser causing the starting issue you should have the key symbol showing on the dash when it wont start. Unless there is no power getting to the box as the light is powered from the code box. When you turn on the ignition the key light should illuminate and then go out. If it doesn't then its a power supply problem.
If you have the key light staying on then id start by making sure the two plugs to the code box are clean and dry. Followed by the earth for the engine ecu.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

cf3 , start