Rough idle on 2000 TS 2.0 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 02-11-15 Thread Starter
Rough idle on 2000 TS 2.0

Hey folks,

I've a 2000 Spider. Normally, it's quite smooth. But sometimes whenever I push in the clutch or shift to neutral, the revs drop to almost zero. It sputters a few times with the rpms wavering between 0 and 1k and then smooths out. It's only actually stalled out on me once while doing this, but it sounds like it's getting ready to stall.

I changed the engine air filter, but that doesn't seem to have solved the problem. After driving for a while it seems to go away, but then will come back again later.

I took it in to get serviced and mentioned the problem, but it behaved itself when they were driving it so I guess they didn't believe me and didn't do anything to fix it.

Any suggestions are welcome!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Blocked PCV valve is a possibility.

Also check for water/oil in the spark plug wells.

Consider cleaning (carefully!) and resetting the Idle Control Valve on the throttle body.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 03-11-15 Thread Starter
Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can do. Don't have a lot of tools here (I moved to New Zealand from the US about 6 months ago), but hopefully I can at least diagnose it myself even if I have to take it in to get it fixed

I did have some oil in the spark plug wells due to a leaking rocker cover gasket. I got that sorted and replaced the gasket, but the problem persists. I was hoping that would be the culprit, but no...
AO Member
County: East Sussex
I could be a number of things. One thing you could do is run the car on idle and spray around the inlet manifold and associated pipes with wd40 or similar.If the idle changes you have an air leak.
AO Member
Had the exact same problem on my phase 1 gtv. Stalling / oscillating revs when dumping clutch, stalls when steering input with clutch in.

Tried plugs, leads. Cleaned throttle body, idle control valve, replaced icv, checked intake hose for air leaks. Replaced injector rail inc injectors, replaced fuel filter.

In the end replaced the lambda probe with a genuine Bosch one problem fixed it! No engine management errors where logged

Got to love the 916 series Alfa. all the above didn't cost alot thanks to eBay and the glut of 2.0 twin spark spares at the moment :-)

Really is a bargain future classic.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 19-11-15 Thread Starter
Cool, thanks for the reply! It sounds like you had the exact same problem I did!

I'll do some research, but seems like we might have a winner. If I can source the part cheaply here in New Zealand (or get relatively cheap shipping), I'll go ahead and commit.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

2000 , idle , rough